Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent comment re: playing in D on G row  (Read 1447 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Recent comment re: playing in D on G row
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »

It's bugging me - I've very recently read an almost one liner from someone on here that roughly said

' A comment from a JK workshop - there's no tune in D that can't be improved by playing it on the G row.....'

....and I keep wanting go back and to ask if that means play it note for note ( except the C# ) on the G row, OR transpose it from D into G and therefore play it on the G row.
But I can't find the thread!
If that person's reading this, can you explain please!
many thanks
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

Re: Recent comment re: playing in D on G row
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »

not sure what that remark was getting at. However  developing the ability to play  in D on G row provides the wherewithall to play in A on the D row free of charge., whcih is definately useful.  In tunes eg la russe that are played in G but go into D for B part I tend to stay on the G row for the whole tune.  It also then opens the possibility of playing such a tune in D & A rather than G & D & for what its worth I normally play la russe all on D row, i.e. in D & A 'cos I prefer the sound of i;t that way.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »

Hi George,
I'm not sure what was meant either, and it's something I wanted to get back to ask, but can't find the thread or the context it was put in.
Will have to dig out la russe and have a think...... which means adding it to a list of 'to do' items!
thanks for the thoughts
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »

I'm sure this is about using the G row for some of the tune when there are good reasons for doing so.
I use the G row G and B so I can play a G chord when appropriate, and the A when I want an A with an A chord, and sometimes use the G row for the A and F# as well if it makes air management easier (in D, it's easy to run out of air in the push direction)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »

I was at the JK workshop where he made that suggestion.   He was advocating using the G row more when playing in D to make it easier to get the G chord which is important in the key of D but is frequently not used if you stick to playing on the D row.  As George says it also teaches you the fingering pattern you need to play in A on the D row.  You still have to make other arrangements to play the 7th note of the scale.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »

Ahhh ....Thanks both, that makes total sense, and in fact something I try and do.
A definitive answer!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

ChrisK

• My trusty Dino
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »

Another example is when you want to play an A on the treble end against an A major chord on the bass end.  The chord is only available on the pull, but the A on the D-row is on the push.  To get around this, play the A on the G-row on the pull.

It is worth spending some time experimenting with the bass chords and trying to play the same chords on the treble end in the same bellows direction  (the B major may be a bit of a challenge - depending on how your accidentals are tuned). 

Your choice of row could depend on whatever you may want to play on the bass end.  This is one argument against learning the melody first, then adding the left hand side later.   You may end up having to un-learn part of the melody and then re-learn how to play it differently.

Chris

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »

Good point Chris.
I tend to twiddle the melody, to make sure it sounds about right, then straight from the beginning think about chords and therefore which row to play the note on. Then once it's starting to get going, have another think......
I'm finding it is always an ongoing project. Even when I think I'm about right, I take a look at someone and perhaps re-think a note/chord combination.
It seems to be the way, once you've got the rough basics, you can concentrate on the detail, once the detail's sorted, you can pinpoint a phrase to sort.... each tweak getting smaller and smaller. I find that even with tunes I started to play fairly well a while ago, i'm learning something new in a new tune and it gets fed back, a retrospective tweak if you like, sort of updating the tune bank!

I'll take a look at 'both ended' chords. That sounds like a good learning thing, especially as it challenges my right hand and also chord knowledge.
Hmmmmm actually that sounds like a good learning tool, thanks!
cheers
Q

Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal