Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flat reed question.  (Read 3890 times)

mike delta

Flat reed question.
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »

Hi,
What causes reeds to go flat over time?
Please let me explain.  I have an old BC that was in tune but over the last eighteen months 3 of the reeds have very gradually gone flat ranging from 10 cents to 20 cents.
I am assuming that to sharpen a reed one has to remove material form the tongue so how does this happen on the inside of a box where no tinkering or retuning has taken place.
I am really curios at this strange phenomenon so your comments would be welcome.

Whilst on the same subject; what would cause the opposite to manifest itself (it hasn't yet but who knows) whereby a reed goes sharp for no apparent reason. Not just the occasional sharpness due to climatic conditions but when it is a constant.
Thank you.
Mike 

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
Re: Flat reed question.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »

I believe it is due to the properties of the reed changing over time.  Most (all?) metals work harden with repeated flexing so become less flexible and will eventually crack and then break.  If this can cause reeds to become either sharp or flat this might be where along the length of the reed the work hardening takes place.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:52:57 AM »

I would have thought that a regularly played accordion where "reeds have very gradually gone flat ranging from 10 cents to 20 cents" would not be caused by a change in the reed steel.

If a reed was cracked, it would likely go flatter, faster.

The cause could be either valve problems or loose reedplates.

But most likely imho, some sort of coating on the reeds, be it dust, rust, cigarette smoke, Guinness fumes, vehicle emissions, acid rain....Remember, whatever is in the air when you play, that is breathed in by the accordion and can be deposited on any surface. And of course the reeds are one of the most vulnerable internal surfaces. And such deposits are unlikely to be consistent over the entire reed surface.

Tuning the offending reeds up (or down) is only likely to be a temporary cure. A good service/clean might be....

My 10c worth....hope it helps.

MC

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:54:48 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:25:15 PM »

Its quite unusual for reeds to go sharp, but it does very occasionally happen when something gets stuck in the gap between the reed and the slot it move in especially if its near the root of the reed.  The foreign body then locks the lower part of the reed in place and shortens the part of the reed that vibrates, thus raising its pitch.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »

But why does a Castagnari hold its tune for a decade and a Hohner needs new reeds every year? ;)

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:32:43 PM »

But why does a Castagnari hold its tune for a decade and a Hohner needs new reeds every year? ;)
Nothing to do with the people who recommend keeping an old Hohner for when you have to play in the rain but who have apoplexy if so much as a drop of moisture gets near there Costalotti ?

Bryson

• Regular debater
  • Connemara II - Pokerwork - Lilly - Black Pearl II
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »

I've had a Hohner Pokerwork for 28 years. I bought it in Hastings for about 100 pounds in 1980 or so. I had it checked over last year and , apart from bellow valves, bass pads and a couple of cracked buttons it was in perfect order.. including the tuning. About a year and a half ago I spant over ten times that amount on a Saltarelle Connemara II so lets see what that's like in 28 years time :)

... or should that be 280 years time???
A Blackburn Rovers fan since 1957 :( cross rowing on a D/G melodeon since 2007

mike delta

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:17:44 PM »

Thanks for your replies. Mmmm ??? several possible causes.
I am thinking that maybe Malcolm might be near the mark here. Dirty reeds. What would be the best way to clean them. I know enough to avoid damaging the tongues through inappropriate handling and how to support the tongues so as not to put undue strain on them and alter the profile but what would be the general consensus for cleaning and with what type of cleaner. Alcohol wipes perhaps?
Thanks.
Mike.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:10:11 AM »

apart from bellow valves
What would those be then? Please explain!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Bryson

• Regular debater
  • Connemara II - Pokerwork - Lilly - Black Pearl II
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:49:42 AM »

sorry... bellow seals ... not the ones found in a circus or zoo ;)
A Blackburn Rovers fan since 1957 :( cross rowing on a D/G melodeon since 2007

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »

On another thread re this it was recommended to get a fibre glass pen from Maplins. These are for cleaninng circuit boards before soldering. I got one and it's great for cleaning reeds, I slip a feeler gauge or a razor blade under th reed to make it firm .

I have had trouble with a reed that went sharp, as Theo said it was grit thet effectively took out the broad end from vibrating so a good clean comes first
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal