Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Melodeon Playing Techniques  (Read 1443 times)

Joseph

Important Melodeon Playing Techniques
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering what, in your opinion, is the most important melodeon playing techniques? Is it bass playing? Fingering? Timing? I understand it's difficult to just single out one technique since everyone of them is very important in order to achieve good melodeon playing. I think fingering is very important since it enables the melodeon player to play tunes at ease.
Regards,
Joe.

george garside

Re: Important Melodeon Playing Techniques
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »

Hi Joe

there is on ongoing thread here under teaching & learning - 5 best tips which now extends to 6 pages & should answer some of your questions

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:25:14 PM »

To me, it is the ability to play the melody crisply with emphasis on (or off) the beats that will provide that 'lift' which brings the dance to life if you are playing for dancers and still brings a tune to life even if you are not playing to accompany dancers. Simon Care iis an excellent proponent of this. He advises treating the keys as though they are red hot: just tap them and remove your finger as quickly as possible (of course, this depends on the tune: it wouldn't apply to a slow air!) Simon has been heard to say that he doesn't know what notes he is playing, hasn't much idea about the lefthand end and rarely plays ornaments or chords with his right hand. But what he does really well is to play in a lively style that gets your feet tapping and makes you want to dance.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Joseph

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

Hi Lads,
Thanks for replying to my post. You make a very interesting point Bob about playing the keys of the melodeon as if there're hot. I think that is a very interesting technique! Nothing beats lively melodeon music that makes you want to get up and dance.
Regards,
Joe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal