Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New here, saying hello...  (Read 757 times)

Terence

• New Starter
New here, saying hello...
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:43:13 AM »

Good evening, all!

I wanted to introduce myself; I'm new here, and new to melodion playing.  I live near Grand Rapids, Michigan, in the states.  I play upright bass in a variety of styles, and have played bass guitar in rock bands--although I've left that silliness behind. 

I've been taking lessons on (gasp...) piano accordion because I found an excellent, young teacher who loves French and Balkan music.  One doesn't pass by a good teacher, so I bought a used Moreschi with singing, sweet musette tuning and I'm loving playing.

However I feel like melodeon is the instrument that calls to me.  I found a Saltarelle Le Bouëbe G/C on eBay, it's on its way to me, sight unseen, sound unheard.  It was purchased as a gift recently, but never used, and so put up for sale, and now on to me!  I'm excited, it should be in my hands on Tuesday next.  In addition, Volume 1 of the Pignol/Milleret series is in the mail to me from The Button Box.  So here we go!

I'm quite happy that there is such a rich resource as melodeon.net, and I expect you'll be hearing all manner of silly questions from me soon enough, so thanks in advance for your patience.

Terence

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
Re: New here, saying hello...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:35:39 AM »

Hi Terence--

I have followed a road that is very similar to yours--a string instrument, then PA, an finally, Melodeon Truth. You'll like it here with the melnetters, I'm willing to bet. They sometimes speak with funny accents, but by and large they are gentle with beginners and kind to former colonists.

I'm right down the road from you in Kalamazoo, so I look forward to reading here about your progress and possibly actually meeting another melodeon player in Michigan. And I mostly play G/C.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »

Hi Terence and welcome to  melnet. There is no such thing as a silly question, so ask away! You'll get lots of helpful (and sometimes conflicting!) advice here from knowledgeable people.

Enjoy the ride!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, Acadian one-row in D; Junior Martin one-row in C.

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »

Hi and welcome Terence. I'm learning to play my G/C with the help of the Milleret and Pignol tutor too. I'm really enjoying it although the exercises are a bit gruelling sometimes!! Good luck, and I hope you have as much fun as I am   :||: Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal