Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making small payments to EU countries?  (Read 954 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Making small payments to EU countries?
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »

Can anyone recommend the best way to make small payments - a few euros to maybe a couple of hundred - to EU countries, in particular Germany?

It will come as no surprise that I am talking about payments for boxes/bits on Fleabay where the seller asks for bank transfer payments. I have only done this for larger sums (SWIFT, I think) where there is a transaction fee. Don't really want to shell out fees on a small payment.

I don't know if the normal on-line bank transfer method works for non-UK payments, and it's a bit late to phone up and ask! (Nationwide BS).
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

tedrick

Re: Making small payments to EU countries?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »

I've been using paypal to send euros to Ireland -
Reed

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »

A lot of German sellers don't accept PayPal. They are rather fond of cash, which might be OK for very small transactions, or bank transfer. 
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »

I pay in cash. Simple economics.

My own dear bank robber service charges me 4-5% over spot price for converting euros. Then a fee for sending direct. Or £5 to pay into my euro account and another £5 for the pleasure of writing a cheque.   Over and above that a Parisienne girl friend was hit a £15 fee from a French bank for just cashing the bloody "cheque bancaire Britanique" it was in euros!  I complained hard to my Euro MP about that little scam - I understand it has since been made illegal.  

Put another way my 2005 St Chartier tickets for 3 cost me just under 29% of the total in various fees and margins.

.. or I toddle to the hole in the wall, draw my cash (free), toddle to the Co-op, pay 2% over spot for notes. Been doing it all month as I'm not sure we'll see 1.17/£ for ever and I've an accordion to pay for next year. To be clear - when I pay Frans van der Aa in cash only 2% goes to the bank  robber financial services. I don't mind that.  8)

You've probably worked out by now that I trust foreign luthiers a lot more than British bankers. Actually I've never ever heard of a luthier behaving dishonestly. Needed 2 reed plates off Gaillard - slip €30 into an envelope- get reeds 3 days later.  Bigger sums I find an excuse to go over.  I bought my Mori in cash (IL2,700,000!) from Sandro Castagnari. Wasn't ready and it then came by post 'cash on delivery'. Whoops! So Italians aren't 'Germans' - but we sorted it out amicably  :-*

Don't don't toddle to the Co-op with only your debit card! If you buy 'potatoes' there - you pay for what you get. If you have the temerity to purchase euros in the same shop - it becomes a becomes a cash advance (like HOW ???) - 3% fee!

Non illigitimi carborundum as they used to say in Rome.  :|glug
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:17:46 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »

xe.com has some advantages.  They claim to offer the best rates and no commission.  You do have to spend some time setting up an account with them, but their staff are very helpful on the phone.  There is no minimum amount as far as I know.  For small amouts you would probably only use them if you were regularly sending payment to the same person.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal