Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 voice boxes with an optional 3rd voice - how do you use them?  (Read 5262 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: 2 voice boxes with an optional 3rd voice - how do you use them?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »

Ahhh.... I see a good chin there Mr. Chapin!
I think I'm going to have to make decisions before playing the tune, 3rd on or off. I litterally would harm my front teeth tring to pull it in mid flight. It's quite a firm stop...... miht try some quick pulls when in mid tune and see......
From your vid you indeed do make the point that levers are the way to go if possible.

In the back of my mind I think about some of the tunes on 'Banquet of boxes', and there some changes in voices are happening mid tune and to good effect, also as demostrated by Gary. A nice way to increase interest and build up a tune.
thanks
Q

Ahhh as I post.... sounds like George has beat me to it on pulling up a stop mid flight.
OK will give it a go and see.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

I bought my box with the intention of using all the available voices for different moods and tunes.  In practice, I find old habits of just playing loud for morris or ceilidhs means I generally use all three voices!  The only exception is when I'm noodling during morris practice (to upset the foreman of dance) or playing quietly at home.

Rob.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 08:32:15 PM »

my serenellini  gives 3 voices with knob out and two with it  in.  It is possible to  move hand from keyboard to swiftly push it in (if playing with others so tune  keeps going)  but  is more difficult to move hand , grip it and pull it out swiftly.
george

I have the same problem George, it must be age...... :o
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Keithypete.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »

I've always referred to LMM as the 'Hornpipe' setting! Used also for what I call big square tunes like Great North run, or All a'siden.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »

If you stick some gaffer tape onto the stop button, with a tag pointing upwards, you can pull the stop up with your teeth, and knock it back down with your chin.  I just have the tape on my Low reeds, so I can pull it up to add the deeper notes. Not pretty but it works. ;)

george garside

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »

Ah but theres then a considerable  risk of the national health services  finest choppers  becoming stuck to the gaffer tape and remaining attached to the box rather than the gob!

george >:E
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

Hhmmmmm...... can you get flavoured gaffer tape :-\
I'm not sure about that one to be honest!
I might be siding with George on this one.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »

I sometimes have the experience that a tune just doesn't sound right unless I switch voices.  I play a G/C so that is a very different sound to a D/G.  I guess that MM is my standard.  LM is to die for, particularly for slower more arty tunes. LMM I use rarely but its fun now and then.  M is a beautiful pure sound particularly if I am not playing the bass but I struggle to avoid bending notes and getting value buzzes (?) on M alone.  The couplers don't give me the option of L alone.

Couplers behind the keyboard make it easy to switch during a tune, but to be honest I usually forget to.

For some reason the bass couplers on my Loffet are awkwardly positioned to switch while playing.
Nick
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal