Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aldershot  (Read 1691 times)

Matthew B

Aldershot
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:44:44 AM »

Friends, I find myself in Adershot, for personal reasons.  Anyone around there?
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: Aldershot
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:07:07 AM »

Basingstoke - just as much of a dump!  Spent my childhood in Fleet, every year listening to the results with amusement to see whether Aldershot would finally drop out of the fourth division...

Are you now permanent in Aldershot?

Rob.

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »

Hi Matt,

I feel your pain!!

I lived in Aldershot for many years - My dad was an engineering officer in REME.

I have to say that as a teenager, back in the sixties, there wasn't a lot to do, other than go fishing - there is a fabulous carp lake - Pattersons Pond - at Badshot Lea, at the bottom of Lower Farnham Rd, another at Cove, and lots of good river fishing.

Other than that, nothing very much at all, and that was when Aldershot was a vibrant town with 4 cinemas and a couple of clubs.

Last time I was in Aldershot, it looked appalling with most of the shops shut, and the town centre looking very scruffy!!

Good luck - you'll need it.
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Rob2Hook

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »

Matt,

Our foreman insists that I ask whether you would like to play for Border Morris.  Hook Eagle Morris practice at the St John's church hall (Hook on the A30) Friday 8pm.  We would certainly welcome another box player!

On the other hand there is a NW side, Mayflower Morris who practice in Ash Vale.

I'm sure just about any side in the area would be pleased to augment their band.

Rob.

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »

There is a good, mainly English, session in the Garden Gate pub in Aldershot on the first Monday in the month, next one on 2 January.

Jackstraws Ladies Cotswold Morris practice in Upper Hale.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Rob2Hook

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »

B;imey!  What self respecting party animal can find the box let alone the keys by 2nd January?  I'll have to see if I can drum up a car load of reformed characters for that and preferrably a driver...

Rob.

Matthew B

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »

Thanks folks. 

Every time I post travel plans here, I end up sitting in some unlikely and wonderful place, playing music with a new friend. 

Brilliant.

I'm only visiting Aldershot periodically, on family business.  It is a bit grim, at least at first sight.  Glad to know it's not just me that thinks that.  I'll next be there between January 10 and January 17, 2012 though I'll probably be staying in the City of London this time --- One night in an Aldershot hotel in November was enough for me!

So, looks like I'll miss Sandy's session by a week or so.  Also, Rob, I am truly honored to be invited to sit in with your side.  Please convey my warmest thanks to your foreman.  If I know your tune list, and your practice schedule I may well drop in, if that's OK.  However, the commute from Maine might prevent regular participation on my part. 

Unless I can 'phone it in.

Meanwhile, anything on in or around the Barbican, second week of January?

Best,

M
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Rob2Hook

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »

It wouldn't be the first time we've used the phone!  Sometimes no-one can remember what the tune is, so we phone a friend to find out.

Sorry I misunderstood, thought you were blessed with moving to Aldershot on a more permanent basis.  Used to get beaten up by drunk soldiers in the town, now it's just your average civilians doing the job. ;D

The music for our tunes is on the website - http://www.hookeagle.org.uk/.  Currently in use from the zip file :
Buddy Holly Hornpipe
Molly Tune
Not for Joe
Orlando's Farewell
Queen of the Fairies
Random Hornpipe
Rickett's Hornpipe
Strike the Bell
Dancing Oolet
Redesdale Hornpipe

Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal