Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: newcomer to melodeon.net  (Read 4312 times)

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
Re: newcomer to melodeon.net
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:53 AM »

Hello June,  Just spotted this thread.  It seems I'm about 1/2 hour nearer to you than Glentrool, although across the border in Brampton, Cumbria, just over an hour away.  I play D/G and others on the same system, and play a fair number of Scottish tunes too.  Whether or not the system is suitable for Scottish music depends entirely on what particular Scottish music you're trying to play!  And I'm sure there are lots of English tunes the system DOESN'T accommodate very easily!  The 8 'bass buttons' aren't half as limiting as some detractors like to claim; you've got (almost) scales of both D and G hidden away in them, well, at least, enough to give a few Stradella players a run for their money, provided you cross the rubicon of crossing the rows!  I don't have much of a profile on here, but I've done some teaching, mostly one-to-one at home and at Bath Folk Festival, but I play entirely by ear myself so can't teach through 'the dots'.  You'd be welcome here anytime if you think I can be of any help.   
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

June

• New Starter
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »

Thank you Frank and thank you George, all information, help and opinions are very much appreciated to steer me in the right direction, wherever that is. June

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »

Must admit I'm glad (although I am in the wilds of England so canon for a D/G box) that I chose a D/G because it's a much easier system for using the basses for self-accompaniment.  I can imagine a B/C being useful for playing with a group, but I'm perfectly happy with the D/G. 

I would say that you're probably better off having accidentals rather than low notes, which would give you a bit more scope for pretending to be a B/C player when you need to.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal