Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A favour re: French tunes  (Read 9987 times)

BFG

• Good talker
  • Sandpiper D/G, Pariselle G/C
A favour re: French tunes
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »

Hi All,

At the beginning of April next year, I shall be making a melodeon in Yeovil with Emmanuel Pariselle, Alan Balding and co. I will be making a G/C/acc 14-bass, and I shall be mightily embarrassed if having made it, I have to start plugging away at Egan's Polka or one of the other 3 or 4 tunes I can actually play.

So, my self-inflicted task is to learn 4 French tunes in the 4 months between now and then.

What are people's recommendations? The only limitation for me is that I have to be able to learn them on a standard D/G 8-bass. The only limitation for the people required to listen is that they probably shouldn't be monumentally difficult.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, and if you have the dots or a link, that would be wonderful.

Cheers and ta,

Rob
Beginner - definitely a beginner

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: A favour re: French tunes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »

Canal in October became a standard UK session piece Cutting/Wood recorded it. Not 'grade 1' but you'll get more out of learning this than others. It was TOTM last year. (October I think) ;)

A nice mazurka is mazurka Limousin. It 'sounds hard' but actually isn't.  Just plays rather differently from british tunes. I learned that one very early on, though don't hear it much. 

Both are better played 'across the rows'

All this sentimentality .. reminds my of my old days in the Maquis  :'(
  _       _    _      _ 

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »

How about these:

Canal in October
L'Inconnu de Limoise
La Marianne
La Roulante (also known as the LNB Polka)

That gives you a schottische, a mazurka, a waltz and a polka, and they've all been TOTM at some point, so there's *lots* of example videos, ABC's and hints and tips on how to play them. And they all fit great on a standard 2 row 8 bass, and are quite commonly heard even at English sessions; a lot of people know these tunes.

Also maybe Mominette (also known as Schottische a Bethanie); another fine schottische that made TOTM - I put together a series of 3 youtube videos on how I play it that you may find useful.

Cheers,

Clive

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »

Bernard Loffet has a large collection of (mainly French) sheet music with the easier tunes in the "beginner's corner".

BFG

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »

Also maybe Mominette (also known as Schottische a Bethanie); another fine schottische that made TOTM - I put together a series of 3 youtube videos on how I play it that you may find useful.

Now I can (almost) play the Plane Tree, so I should have a bit of a head start on Schottishche a Bethanie.

@Chris - Mazurka Limousin I've seen in one of the French tune books I've picked up at a workshop somewhere - I'll dig it out.

Thanks - looks like my biggest problem is going to be whittling it down to four!

Cheers,

Rob

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:54:27 PM »

OK, I admit to not being very bright (afa computers are concerned) but I've searched Bernard Loffet's site and cannot find any music score  ???
Any clues as to  how I can find them??  ???

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »

OK, I admit to not being very bright (afa computers are concerned) but I've searched Bernard Loffet's site and cannot find any music score  ???
Any clues as to  how I can find them??  ???
Um.. the link in my previous post leads you straight to the music page.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »

Bernard Loffet has a large collection of (mainly French) sheet music with the easier tunes in the "beginner's corner".

Ooooo - thanks for that  ;D  I heard that rond St Vincent about 6 years ago and thought it was fabulous. I've played it in UK sessions ever since and a few brave souls have even done impro breaks (it uses all of 6 notes).  Then I went back to stay with the the Frenchman I thought i'd got it from - "never heard it before"  ??? 

Anyway .. seems it's called j' allais pêcher l'anguille.  Just load simon's page, or click  http://diato.org/tablat/251.mid (and another very easy piece)

"I'm going to fish for eels" .. but I suspect it also translates "I'll just  see what's happening" (knowing the French)
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

Then I went back to stay with the the Frenchman I thought i'd got it from - "never heard it before"  ??? 

There are significant stylistic differences in the way French tunes are played, compared with English which could account for this.

So listen to as many French players as you can and try to begin acquiring something of their style.  It's at least is important as the actual notes.  Canal en Octobre is a case in point.  On this side of the channel an anglicised version has evolved, to the extent that its sensible to give it the English title of Canal in October.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »

So listen to as many French players as you can and try to begin acquiring something of their style.  It's at least is important as the actual notes.  Canal en Octobre is a case in point.  On this side of the channel an anglicised version has evolved, to the extent that its sensible to give it the English title of Canal in October.

Theo's very right (as always). In retrospect I probably got the tune from a young Charantes lad who couldn't put Pierre's Bb/Eb Eric Martin down. Always difficult when you dump your field recordings back in Blighty.

As for 'canal' - Well, it was totally danceable when Cutting/Wood brought it back - done that many times. It's sort of 'been sessioned'  :-\  
I'm tempted to export "big ship sails on the alley-oh" to France. Make quite a nice schottiche actually  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »

So, my self-inflicted task is to learn 4 French tunes in the 4 months between now and then.

What are people's recommendations?

Continuing the "style" theme:

There is a great deal in favour of learning just one type of tune in the relatively short time available. I would go for Scottisches, even learn just one of them, and if you get the chance have a go at the dance too which is the best way of understanding how the tunes should work.  To learn four different rhythms in four months and play them in a recognisably French style is a tall order.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

BFG

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 08:49:13 AM »

There is a great deal in favour of learning just one type of tune in the relatively short time available. I would go for Scottisches, even learn just one of them, and if you get the chance have a go at the dance too which is the best way of understanding how the tunes should work.  To learn four different rhythms in four months and play them in a recognisably French style is a tall order.

Unlikely I'll get a chance to dance them between now and then - YouTube will have to be my friend in that respect. I seem to be leaning towards "Schottische a Bethany" as my starter for ten.

I'm worried already...

Cheers,

Rob

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »

Two more nice French schottisches (spelt 'scottish' in French, I think) that are fairly easy to play and are popular in sessions in England are Scottish à Catinaux and Scottish à Virmoux; the former is usually played in G and the latter in D. There are several recordings of each on You Tube and the dots can be found on ABC Tune Finder. If you have difficulty locating them, I will post the dots here.

There is also a recent recording of Scottish à Catinaux by Simon Care on the Banquet of Boxes CD, but it does not sound very French to my ear - he seems to have anglicised it somewhat.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »

There's also Ganivelle, another F Paris schottisch that is popular in sessions around here, and is available in many forms and variants in the abc tunefinder.
Marje

Christo Tracey

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 01:40:45 AM »

What are people's recommendations? The only limitation for me is that I have to be able to learn them on a standard D/G 8-bass. The only limitation for the people required to listen is that they probably shouldn't be monumentally difficult.

I don't know what style you particularly like, but if you like the Celtic stuff, my instinct is to scream "Breton music!". The Breton stuff is similar to the Irish, but has it's own particular flavour. Some really good accordion/melodeon tunes have come out of Brittany. Shamelessly chasing up a link posted above, I have found some sheet music to some rather good tunes:

Chantons pour passer le temps - http://diato.org/tablat/tab34.gif - a rather slow, and quite pretty tune. A traditional sea shanty. I've heard this one first hand, it really plays well.
Santiano - http://diato.org/tablat/tab205.gif - the French equivalent of "The Drunken Sailor", with a better tune!
Si Mort a Mors - http://diato.org/tablat/tab123.gif - a personal favourite. Very Breton, is about Duchesse Anne. Haunting, slow and beautiful.
Les Filles des Forges - http://diato.org/tablat/tab118.gif - a rather fast tune, and quite tricky, but a very good traditional danse tune. The lyrics are well looking up too.

I come from Brittany myself, and can assure you that they're all great tunes! The next step is learning them meself!  :||:

Hope that helps!
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
 (Bach clearly never played melodeon!)

BFG

• Good talker
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »

Thanks Christo - some lovely stuff there!

And welcome to Melnet, by the way ;D

Cheers,

Rob

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »

"Trad Breton", eh?  ::)  Here's what they used to sing in the cafe >:E  after Mission Bretonne evenings

Lyrics http://mareeparadis.info/paroles/le31dumoisdaout.html

Chorus   Buvons un coup, buvons-en-deux à la santé des amoureux (bis)
   à la santé du roi de France   ....
   et merde pour le roi d'Angleterre  :o qui nous déclarer la guerre

I'm sure the presence of a rosbif had nothing to do with it - mind you - the London broadsides of the time were in very much the same vein  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:12:22 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Christo Tracey

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »

Chorus   Buvons un coup, buvons-en-deux à la santé des amoureux (bis)
   à la santé du roi de France   ....
   et merde pour le roi d'Angleterre  :o qui nous déclarer la guerre

I'm sure the presence of a rosbif had nothing to do with it - mind you - the London broadsides of the time were in very much the same vein  ;)

I think the most amusing part of that song is that they claim a victory over a far superiror ship, whilst clearly being sozzled!
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
 (Bach clearly never played melodeon!)

BFG

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »

Can anyone (silly question - there's bound to be many of you!) help me out with the dance steps for a Schottische (Scottish)? Trying to break down Schottische a Bethanie with the help of Clive's fantastic tutorial, the emphasis seems to be on the second beat of the bar, so dum-DAH-dah. Is it right that the long step in the dance is the first beat of the the bar, and the two short steps are the second beat? I can't see this clearly from YouTube, possibly because the video is out of sync with the sound.

So is the function of the emphasis on the second beat to give the dancers a "lift" into the two quick steps? (I'm not a dancer, as you can probably tell from the question!)

Cheers,

Rob

Lyra

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »

Santiano is French? Who knew ... I was dragged up on the Kingston Trio version (which pre-dates the good M. Aufray) ;)
Goes to show, can't keep a good tune (or a good sailor) down, I guess.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal