Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With Bells on @ the BBC  (Read 2477 times)

melodeanman

With Bells on @ the BBC
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »

There is still time to listen to this on the i player...enjoy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017xbtj

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
Re: With Bells on @ the BBC
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »

I'm listening even as I write.  I note that this broadcast will only be available for another three days.  Does anyone know if you can capture the recording, ie download it ?

I would like to keep it as reference.  If you haven't yet listened it is good but it's nearly an hour long.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

If you're using Windows 7, you'll find it hard to record 'what you hear' - Microsoft disabled the ability to do so, presumably under pressure from the music companies. However... they then provided a simple switch to enable it again.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

Do this, and you should be able to record in Audacity under Windows 7.

World gone mad, eh?

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »

Hi Clive

Many thanks. I'm on XP.   Went to my system tray as instructed but don't have an audio icon just a speaker picture which when right clicked gets volume controls for many aspects.  Anyone know where this elusive audio icon hides when not in the system tray or is it different in XP ?

Apologies for failing my how to be a computer wiz test.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:15 PM »

I should probably move this off to the support section, but just go to the Control Panel and look for Sound.

Cheers,

Clive

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »

Hi Clive

Many thanks. I'm on XP.   Went to my system tray as instructed but don't have an audio icon just a speaker picture which when right clicked gets volume controls for many aspects.  Anyone know where this elusive audio icon hides when not in the system tray or is it different in XP ?

Apologies for failing my how to be a computer wiz test.

Martin,

If you speak nicely to a certain bagman of our mutual acquaintance, I would be more than surprised if he didn't have a local copy... PM me if you need his email address.

Malcolm
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Roger Howard

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »

[whisper] If you google "radio downloader", you'll find a nice little piece of software that lets you record radio programmes directly onto your hard drive, so long as they're still on iPlayer, and they don't run out of listening time [end of whisper] :-X
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »

Thanks everyone for tech support, much appreciated so, back to topic.

I've never really played for morris.  I've stood in, guested, gone on tours and defended the robustness of the dance against the sad detractors who know less than I do but this programme has opened my eyes.  After forty years of spasmodic involvement I have gained an insight which I didn't previously have (hence my wanting to download it) I have sung Albion Sunrise for many years now without fully understanding its morris roots, always thinking it was more to do with the oral song tradition with just a passing nod to the dance.

I can probably be forgiven for thinking the whole thing (morris that is) was a front for serious drinking bouts considering the teams I have been casually involved with.  On a trip to Jersey two teams refused to dance and got back on the coach when they learnt it was a "dry" dance spot.

I was blown away the first time I saw Damians troupe and was mesmerised by the original River Dance but after listening to this programme I have underestimated the value of morris.  This underestimation could of course be brought about by too close an association with Bourne River  ;D

If Stewart Lee isn't a member of this forum I vote he be made an honorary member.  A superb programme that should be mandatory listening for all English folk exponents.  I'm proud of being a folkie and Stewart Lee has laid to rest some of the bad press we have had, particularly that cheap shot from Sebastian Coe.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

On a trip to Jersey two teams refused to dance and got back on the coach when they learnt it was a "dry" dance spot.

Sadly there were (and probably still are) a few sides like that; mercifully, most of them have either gone the way of all flesh or undergone a road to Damascus moment and realised that the dancing is actually the most important thing on the menu.  Don't get me wrong - I'm as fond of a pint as the next man, and a "dry" tour wouldn't be my first choice; but if it was a dry tour then fine - we'll probably all play/dance better as a result and then enjoy a tankard or two at the end of the day even more.  The "drink first, dance last" brigade have an awful lot to answer for in relation to the poor image of morris in many eyes. At an ale, fine - nobody will criticise or censure, we're all there to let our hair down and have a good time; but if you have an audience - especially one from whom you're hoping to collect or, even more importantly, have paid to see you - then your responsibility is to be competent, professional - and sober.  I remember playing in a band for a late night ceilidh at a UK festival (which shall remain nameless), and at about 12.45am one of the guest morris sides (who will also remain nameless) was due to do a 10-minute spot.  25 minutes later, after a lot of falling over, bumping into each other, the furniture and the walls, and great deal of foul language and general abuse of the audience, the festival organisers and their fellow performers, we managed to steer them away to somewhere where they could pass out/vomit to their hearts' content and we could try to salvage what was left of the ceilidh.  Makes you proud to be a folkie.....

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »

To be fair to the teams involved, it was 10.00am and no audience either and they did did dance for the rest of the day and again in the evening where they were the show team at the ceilidh.  It was, in fact, just a bit of fun.  :|glug :|glug

PS.  The ceilidh was helped by our drummer being very feminine, long legs and a mini skirt.   ;)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »

PS.  The ceilidh was helped by our drummer being very feminine, long legs and a mini skirt.   ;)

Bet he was popular, then!  ;D >:E

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »

GPS: Well said.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »

After a hint from somewhere.... can't remember where  ;) I googled 'radio downloader'.
Discovered something called ' nerd on the hill' and downloaded it last night. In the end I wasn't sure as I'd got the video version, so tried to uninstall. For some annoying reason 'ASK' toolbar came along with it and simply wouldn't go.
Got rid of it this morning -  :Ph

Tried again at Nerd, carefully looking for the radio version and downoaded - Adaware warned me it had a trojan embedded so blocked the site
Again,  :Ph

If I wanted to download the prog, has anyone got a reliable and safe downloader?
cheers
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roger Howard

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »

I'm afraid that I suggested the Radio Downloader programme  - so I apologise if anyone's computer has been infected - that was certainly not my intention!

As far as I'm aware, a clean copy can be downloaded from Sourceforge. I've been using it for some time without any difficulty, and my anti-malware software hasn't detected any problems.

Best wishes

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »

Hi Roger,
Don't worry, it's the inevitable risk anyone takes on the internet nowadays. I'm glad my spyware prog. picked it up, and posted that just to warn others in case their spyware systems didn't.
Thanks for the info - will take a look at Sourceforge.
best wishes
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »

Sorry, nothing to say on the techno front - as if! However, I do think they missed a trick NOT having 5,000 Morris Dancers for the Opening Ceremony. Think of it! The massed ranks, all the brilliant costumes, the most upbeat tunes (within the lexicon, of course!) and I know it would have been almost a RiverDance moment.

They should have had the courage to do it, and they haven't. We'll get some mixed up multi-cutural jamboree instead, which represents no-one. It would have been great to include dances by reps of the successive waves of immigrants to these shores, but to keep the focus firmly on the indigenous traditional dance.
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:39:12 PM »

All I do is get my ye olde minidisc player, plumb it into the PC's headphone socket.  Record show, then record it back onto the PC with Audacity or similar, via the Line In.  Simples.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »

Well, I recorded it on my dvd recorder and have it on disc.
Still haven't managed to sit down long enough to listen to it all, but here's hoping!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »

Sorry, nothing to say on the techno front - as if! However, I do think they missed a trick NOT having 5,000 Morris Dancers for the Opening Ceremony. Think of it! The massed ranks, all the brilliant costumes, the most upbeat tunes (within the lexicon, of course!) and I know it would have been almost a RiverDance moment.

They should have had the courage to do it, and they haven't. We'll get some mixed up multi-cutural jamboree instead, which represents no-one. It would have been great to include dances by reps of the successive waves of immigrants to these shores, but to keep the focus firmly on the indigenous traditional dance.

Even if "they" (assuming this means the Olympic organisers) did have the courage to do it, it might not be as easy as it sounds -- when this subject first came up on the MDDL when we "won" the Olympics the amount of resultant bickering and infighting had to be seen to be believed, especially from teams who thought *their* dance ought to be represented regardless of how it would look in a stadium...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal