Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand new Eric Martin melodeon - it's here  (Read 6407 times)

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: Brand new Eric Martin melodeon - it's here
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »

The right hand side is the real king on these - the sense of pure raw power I get from mine is exhilarating when I play it ...

To what would you attribute this raw power?
Are there design features that are unique to this box?

I think it's fairly simple to be honest: Binci a mano reeds, open pallets, large holes, a keyboard mechanism which lifts the pallets a good distance from the soundboard and presumably a well engineered set of treble reedblocks to make the most of all of the previous points.

As I said before that really is let down by the bizzarre single reed block which holds all the reeds for bass and chords that severely wastes the potential of the good Binci reeds in there by sending the air in all kinds of strange directions and through chambers and holes that are too small to do justice to them.

But the box is all about the right hand really.  I've had it in my mind to design a completely new left hand to screw in place that could make it in to an absolute winner ... 12 spoon basses seemed like an appropriate match ... but it's a lot of research and skills to apply in order to even attempt a prototype!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »

The right hand side is the real king on these - the sense of pure raw power I get from mine is exhilarating when I play it ...

To what would you attribute this raw power?
Are there design features that are unique to this box?

I think it's fairly simple to be honest: Binci a mano reeds, open pallets, large holes...

Square or round holes?

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 12:19:04 AM »

Square holes. Round pegs.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 04:29:31 AM »

I have only had the opportunity to play a one row 4 stop Eric Martin D box and I really liked the sound and feel of the treble keyboard. I got to compare it with one of Marc Savoys Acadian(mine) an Junior Martin, and a Pointe Noir( made by "Dick" richard)box at the same session. I liked it the best of the five mentioned in this post.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal