- 23 (37.1%)
3 Sea Captains
- 8 (12.9%)
Molly Oxford
- 12 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: December 31, 2011, 11:11:12 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the month for January 2012  (Read 11643 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Poll: Tune of the month for January 2012
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 11:46:29 AM »

Bear Dance....one of those marmite tunes. You like it or you hate it. lol!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »

Well, I haven't voted because I don't really get the time to sit down and make a contribution so it isn't really fair me to cast a vote, but if I were to, my reasoning would go something like: "Rabbit Stew" doesn't really appeal to me - it's like any number of fairly ordinary tunes which can be brought to life by an accomplished player, but there's nothing about it that makes me want to learn it. "Bear Dance" I can take or leave; I've known a version of it (not the usual "session" version) for years and if it wins I could play it in my sleep, so I might end up making another contribution. "3 Sea Captains" I've known since my early days of playing for EFDSS-style dances in the 60s, and again it's a little ordinary - no real desire to play it again after all these years. "Molly Oxford" - beautiful tune, lovely dance to do; it's a bit of a challenge to get the "feel" right on a melodeon as it's so essentially a fiddle tune, but it would definitely be my choice. So that's a sort of vote-without-voting, I suppose......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »

Go anything but Bear Dance! Please...  :-\

I thought that at first and voted Molly Oxford. Changed my mind though. Would love to see what other melnetters can do with Bear Dance.
 (:)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »

Go Molly Oxford (he says forlornly!)  ;D
How is this lovely morris tune, which appeared recently as a favourite of so many here, getting overlooked while bears and rabbits are galloping away (not sure that bears or rabbits 'gallop' but you know what I mean)?!

I've just deleted a message which said that Molly Oxford wasn't suitable, as couldn't be  harmonised adequately on 8 basses,... as  Ed Rennie's harmonies did not follow the tune to my liking in the B part (and not just that final chord).   
But I've just tried it out on the box ,  and I did  find chords with 8 Basses which seemed right to me, and in  both keys ( G or D)  But this is with chords without the thirds.  You need B minor in the D version.  And I prefer to end the B section on a  C (in G) or G (in D).   So, yes! Vote Molly rather than Bear. (:) And Rabbit rather than Bear!  ;D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »

I've just deleted a message which said that Molly Oxford wasn't suitable, as couldn't be  harmonised adequately on 8 basses

http://treewind.co.uk/melnet/mp3/idburyhill-stepback.mp3 (skip to about 1'08" for the right tune)

If you don't have a B minor chord, either play B bass note only and fill in with RH chord, or use D chord which makes a Bm7 that usually works nicely.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »

Still hoping there some lurking voters that will support Rabbit Stew at the last minute!!
If not then I'll change my vote to Idbury Hill (lovely mp3 fom Anahata :M)

joreema

• Good talker
  • Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »

O, you must be very happy!!! Heard that in Britain bears aren't sleeping in winter but are dancing on folk festivals. Can't believe it, but I start to be jealous.  ;)
Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann Duet, Chemnitzer Konzertina

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 08:15:23 PM »

Oh poo..... got this all wrong - started to learn Joreema's version of Rabbit Stew thinking it had won!
Still, love the McCann's basses, and for a moment regret not persuing the Duet.
Being a country lad, have always liked Rabbit however it came.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Squirebox

• Pokerwork, Baffetti, Saltarelle, Manfrini
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »

What a fantastic quartet of tunes to chose from. For me Three Sea Captains followed by the Bear dance, even though I love Old Molly Oxford to bits as a Morris box man. That sounds a little like squeezing whilst sitting on the fence !
Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal