Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry Air problem  (Read 1166 times)

dahlberg

• Custom
  • Regular debater
  • Huvvaligen
    • Spelparkering
Dry Air problem
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »

When i picked up the granesso today i realized that the dry winter air has striked again and the buttons jams against the coverplate, had the same problem last year before i had it rebuilt, the man who did waxjob etc. taped the holes sligthly to avoid this but it seems it wasnt enough or that the keyboard moves anyway.

So how to get the box back to playable, should i put it in a plastic bag with a moistured rag over night or so?
I have seen humidefiers for guitars, maybe they work for melodeons also?

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
Re: Dry Air problem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »

There would be no reason to suppose tht a guitar (or even cheaper cigar) humidifier wouldnt work.

Im solution would be to put the melodeon in a moist atmosphere, ie a kitchen with a couple of pans buubling away, or in a warm shower room for a couple of hours.  I wouldn't use any solution which causes direct water contact - it may damage the case.
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

dahlberg

• Custom
  • Regular debater
  • Huvvaligen
    • Spelparkering
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »

Before i went to new years party yesterday i took a moistured towel and covered the box, then left it in the bathroom with the window open, when i came home today it was no problem no more.  :||:

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »

That's great!!  I'm glad you got it sorted.
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Matthew B

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:44:25 AM »

I've mentioned elsewhere that in my part of the world we have a big seasonal humidity range: from about 88% in the summer to about 54% in the winter.  With the wood-stove going this can get down below 30% indoors.

The best storage place I've found for the boxes is the indoor cupboard where the wet coats and boots live.  It's cool and damp enough so that the boxes remain playable, but not so cold the reeds fall out of the wax.   

It's a bit like finding the right step of the cellar stairs on which to keep the beer: you have to experiment a bit.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »

Move to Cornwall - that will solve the problem!  (:)
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal