Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2012: Bear Dance  (Read 39182 times)

diatosoldo

• Respected Sage
  • Castagnari Benny, Dino Baffetti 85LN
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2012: Bear Dance
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »

Here is my adaptation of one the bits of notation Jack Humphreys found (thank you Jack) called berendans but very like The King's Galliard too. As I said in my reply earlier, that will do nicely, and here it is...

http://youtu.be/Thk1A5Fm6o0

Apart from transposing from the written A minor to E minor, I've had to lose an accidental - low F natural replaced with F#. I have neither the F natural note nor the chords to make musical sense of it.

Yes, I have noticed that the beginning of the B music is reminiscent of the Rochdale nutters tune  ;)

this is different ... I'll print the notation you give and see what Ican do with it  :|||:
♫ ♪  I'm french ♫ ♪
G/C Castagnari Benny
A/D Dino Baffetti 85LN
A/D Thierry Bennetoux
http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »

Diatosoldo - love your 'B' part, I've not heard that version before but must try it  (:)
would you like a sheet for it ? I've got one.

Diatosoldo - thank you for your kind offer, although I'm afraid to say that my ability to read any kind of music is even worse than my attempts at your fine language! I have however been improving my french recently following a visit from from 3 year old french neice  (:)

I'll have to see how I get on by ear, I've only had a quick go so far  :-\

I believe that second part is called "De Krebbel" and it is often played after Berendans.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »

I can't do fancy stuff...so I've just multitracked instead
http://soundcloud.com/ladydetemps/bear-dance-mix

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »

OK, here's the version I've played for years - I learned it from some Belgian folk musicians in about 1967.  It's different from the "usual" version in several ways - notably in that its A music is usually played these days as the B music. Personally I think it sounds better this way round - but hey, what do I know?  Sorry about the poor technical quality - it's just the onboard webcam & mic on my laptop. No time to set up anything better at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-nI90Wi7Uw
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:00:04 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

diatocz

• Loffet Mengascini Hohner
    • diatocz chansons et autres billevesées
Re: Tune of the month Bear dance
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »

Bon, alors Raymond et Astrid :
Il faut poster vos liens sur la bonne rubrique hein ?
Voilà comment faire :
Cliquez sur "forum home"
Ensuite vous cliquez sur la 6ème rubrique, c'est "tune of the month"
Et là vous trouvez "tune of the month January 2012"
Un peu d'organisation ! sinon ils vont pas nous garder :(

(I'm telling those frenchies they should be more organised ! don't worry, I'm sure they will :|||:

I'm sorry if I have done something wrong. This is the first time I participate. I will be very careful next time (if you accept me yet) although I still do not see what is the error mentioned by Diatosoldo .... Anyway happy New Year to all and congratulations and thank you for this wonderful site

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »

OK, here's the version I've played for years - I learned it from some Belgian folk musicians in about 1967.  It's different from the "usual" version in several ways - notably in that its A music is usually played these days as the B music. Personally I think it sounds better this way round - but hey, what do I know?  Sorry about the poor technical quality - it's just the onboard webcam & mic on my laptop. No time to set up anything better at the moment.

I think you started with the part called the Krebbel. The true Berendans itself is only eight bars.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »

I think you started with the part called the Krebbel. The true Berendans itself is only eight bars.

Could well be - I just know that's the way the Belgians taught me the tune they played. If I could only remember which group it was.........they'd certainly be from Brabant, probably from Hasselt or Nederokkerzeel - but it's a long time and a lot of squeezing ago  :D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Graham Spencer

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »

Do you know, I had never heard of the "Krebbel" until now; I've just Googled it, and found a couple of Youtube videos of the tune I've always known as "Berendans", with the exception that I play the B music up an octave. Well, I'll be........     So what implications does this have for the relationship (there obviously is a close one) between "Berendans" and "Krebbel"?  Incidentally, this lady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcMZZL1vUmA thinks it's called "Bear Dance" too - until I found the two videos mentioned above she was the only other player I'd come across that played the same version as I do.

???
Graham

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »

Here is my adaptation of one the bits of notation Jack Humphreys found (thank you Jack) called berendans but very like The King's Galliard too. As I said in my reply earlier, that will do nicely, and here it is...

Thanks for that Anahata! Very happy to contribute.
Sigh... I would love to be able to play with your rhythm and clarity.

About the names of the tuen.  I thought that "The Kings Galliard"  was the name of the GROUP that performed Berendans on the youtube I found. (Not the name of the tune)   There is another video of the same-named group playing a different tune.  but maybe there is also a tune by that name, which they took for their group name (like Blowzabella did)

diatocz

• Loffet Mengascini Hohner
    • diatocz chansons et autres billevesées
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »

Here's my humble offering for this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KYzMP98Ibk

It's so interesting to see what the really good players do with these tunes every month.  The variety is amazing.  I feel I am learning so much from this and I'd like to say a big "Thank You!" to whoever came up with the brilliant idea.  Although I've been remiss in posting frequently, I have worked on all the tunes and have learned something from each tune.  I also now love mazurkas, though I'd never heard of one before I came across Tune of the Month.

very pleasant version

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2012, 06:57:13 PM »

Do you know, I had never heard of the "Krebbel" until now; I've just Googled it, and found a couple of Youtube videos of the tune I've always known as "Berendans", with the exception that I play the B music up an octave. Well, I'll be........     So what implications does this have for the relationship (there obviously is a close one) between "Berendans" and "Krebbel"?  Incidentally, this lady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcMZZL1vUmA thinks it's called "Bear Dance" too - until I found the two videos mentioned above she was the only other player I'd come across that played the same version as I do.

???
Graham
In Belgium the two are often called Berendans together too because they are played together - but they are two tunes. The following score is the Krebbel. The other part not on this score is Berendans :)
http://94.225.245.158:8000/SCORES/ALL/Krebbel_in_la.pdf

Graham Spencer

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »

To compound the confusion over this tune, I've just dug out the yellowed and tattered bits of manuscript on which the dots for "my" version of this tune were scribbled 45 years ago. There are 3 copies in 3 different hands (none of them mine) of substantially the same tune; one titled "Bear Dance", one titled "Berendans" - OK so far - and one (this is the fly in the ointment) titled "Bezemdans" ("Broom Dance").  Now it's not too difficult to imagine a confusion in hurried handwriting between "Beren" and "Bezem"............

But none of them was titled "Krebbel".  ??? ??? ???

I think I need a drink....

Graham

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »

Now it's not too difficult to imagine a confusion in hurried handwriting between "Beren" and "Bezem"............
But none of them was titled "Krebbel".  ??? ??? ???
I think I need a drink....
Graham
This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOdbQ9Qgl-s a bezem is a broom. So it's a broom dance :)
Enjoy your drink  :|glug

Graham Spencer

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »

Funnily enough, I have a copy of that album; I used to be on quite good terms with De Vlier (from Nederokkerzeel), though we have lost touch over the years. And I do have the music for that particular broom dance, which I got from the very musicians playing on the album. But no, though there are similarities between the tunes, the scrap of manuscript I have in front of me is almost note-for-note the tune in my Youtube video, and is definitely titled "Bezemdans".  the mystery deepens......

(I should say that I didn't vote in the TotM poll this month, and I'm not wildly keen on the tune anyway - I'm just interested to see the relationships between tunes, titles and dances).

Graham - and I have just enjoyed a large glass of the excellent wine produced in a winery in walking distance from our house....... ;D :|glug

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »

Having been quite negative about Bear Dance and moaning about it winning this month's poll I nevertheless thought I ought to give it a go as I like to have a go at least one of the TOTM/ThOTM tunes each time. Here it is - a bit rough and ready with a few unsteady lurches - I wonder if it would be too much to describe that as 'bear like'? It's played on my Saltarelle L'Elfique D/G - all 3 voices in on the RH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-I8qYG4jGM&feature=g-upl&context=G226e331AUAAAAAAAAAA

Jim

• Good talker
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »

I think this is the first time I've managed to get a tune of the month recorded within the month. I usually have to keep at a tune for a few months before I'm really happy with it.

Anyway this time I decided to just go for it even though I'm not super sure about it yet. I recorded a few takes of this. The one I ended up posting is the one where I muck up the intro. Of course once I'd decided that it wasn't going to be the best take I decided to play on anyway and it ended up being the best version because I was relaxed because I wasn't worried about mucking up.

This is the first time I've tried incorporating right hand chords into a tune. I think I've probably been a bit heavy handed but it was fun playing around with the possibilities.

Also, I swear that I do actually enjoy playing the Melodeon. I can see why people leave their heads off these things  :||:

Here it is on YouTube: http://youtu.be/NVtvxj8Z5E8

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »

Hi,
I dedicate this song to my old teddy bear loved but unfortunately depressive who hanged himself today, feast of St. Raymond.
  R.I.P. (sniff)
http://youtu.be/guRh4wGXhj8

The teddy appears to be in good company as both a stratocaster and a precision bass gave up the ghost too ...
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »

Also, I swear that I do actually enjoy playing the Melodeon. I can see why people leave their heads off these things  :||:

Here it is on YouTube: http://youtu.be/NVtvxj8Z5E8

Well played and I loved to 1000 mile stare ;D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »

http://youtu.be/Thk1A5Fm6o0

I've just realised (no, actually somebody told me) that The King's Galliard is the name of the band playing it in the YouTube video that Jack linked to, not the name of the tune. I've edited my YouTube blurb accordingly. Apologies for brain fade  :|bl

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »

I've had a go at using the "berendans"  B part, from the Kings Galliard (Flemish?)  youtube  and the  John Chambers abc notation previously mentioned.   But then I go onto the usual tune for a faster version  on the outside row, while trying to keep a feeling of the B part switching in the major.   Echoes of  "Johnny goes marching home" in the final sequence.  I did try to use diatosoldo's B part, but my fingers weren't fast enough.

So my least preferred tune of the four turned out to be quite fun to play with after all.  

http://youtu.be/67LcLZz-MG0

Has anyone found out where the tune really came from, and which is the earlier version?

I really loved your version - the choice of chords particularly - I'm guessing that without 12 basses, getting the same effect wouldn't be possible?

Thanks so much, Oread!  Appreciation does me good.... though it does reinforce my compulsions, hence this long reply, with far more information than you asked for.

It's quite tricky to play those accidentals.  I think that Anahata's solution for the 8bass 2row  is more convincing on the melodeon, and extremely danceable.   

But I've nevertheless tried to see what's possible  with  my arrangements on a  2row, 8bass  GD  box.

My version of the initial slow Berendans chords, and the final fast Bears Dance chords can both be played, but needing a few melody adjustments and key change to Eminor.   The middle bit  with the descending bass has to be significantly altered.  Here are the chords. 

The asterisked chords have to be minor or  thirdless.  If your box has major chords built in, you can play A*  as   A bass plus C chord, and you can play B*  as  B bass plus D chord.  Or else just play the bass, not the chord. 

CHORDS FOR BERENDANS  ON G/D
-------------------

Em - Em - Em - D -

C - C - C - C (or A*)-       [ or:   C - C - A*B* Em - ]

-------------------

G  -  C  -   DG CB

Em Em(or B)  Em  -

A*  B* (orD)  Em  - 

The problem is to fit the melody on the B part. I hope you have an F natural at the end of the keyboard, and this is meant to be played against that fourth G chord in the B music.  This means playing the tune in the top octave.   (If your F nat is in a different direction to the G chord, might have to play it afterwards, not together)

But then the tune has a D# to be played with that B major chord. On my instrument that D# is now in the wrong octave (too low).  So one would have to alter the melody, e.g. to play the F# above.

Clear as mud I expect.

CHORDS FOR BEAR DANCE

This is for the normal tune, with a C major start to the B music.

Em - - - ; - -  D -

A* - - -  ; C D Em -

---------------------------

C -  B* -  A* -  D -

G D Em B*;  C D Em -

DESCENDING BASS

A  simpler descending bass for the A music works OK with 8 basses,  just playing bass notes without chords:

Em - D -  C -  B* - 

A*-  A* -  C D Em -

---------------------------------

All the best

Jack

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal