Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right hand chord resources  (Read 1638 times)

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
Right hand chord resources
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

Months ago, I posted a link (on my blog) to a YouTube video of Emmanuel Pariselle teaching right hand chording techniques, and from my blog stats I can see that I'm not the only one looking for more help with right-hand chords.

Besides the (great) chord info in the Milleret/Pignol books, does anyone know of any other resources for melodeonistas who want to play more right-hand chords?  I'm hungry for more angles on the same topic.
Much appreciated,
-Andy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Right hand chord resources
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »

Months ago, I posted a link (on my blog) to a YouTube video of Emmanuel Pariselle teaching right hand chording techniques, and from my blog stats I can see that I'm not the only one looking for more help with right-hand chords.

Besides the (great) chord info in the Milleret/Pignol books, does anyone know of any other resources for melodeonistas who want to play more right-hand chords?  I'm hungry for more angles on the same topic.
Much appreciated,
-Andy
Could this be of use? (asking innocently  ;) ) When in doubt, RTFM.  ::)
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,chords.html
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »

Could this be of use? (asking innocently  ;) ) When in doubt, RTFM.  ::)
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,chords.html

Steve,
Absolutely -- I should have mentioned it in the first post.  It's a great resource.  What I'm looking for is something beyond a catalogue of fingering patterns.  I'm trying to come up with accompaniment styles, the way that Pariselle runs through them in the video I mentioned.  To be clear: once you know where the chords are, what to do with them?
Cheers,
Andy

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »

At Stage Impro in Grenoble their morning 'theory' classes impress on you just how intimate the relationship between chords and scales is. That's why Milleret's present teaching video encourages you to learn the C and G scales (here on a G/C) in both directions. But if you watch the video through these are actually part scales.

But as scales and chords "are the same thing" that often doesn't matter. A good example is the pull D7 on a D/G (inner row) helped by a D bass. It is actually all there on push too using (adjacent) notes D F# and A = 1,3,5 of the D scale. Help it with a C bass and you have a full D7, albeit a different voicing.

I purposefully set out to find loads of chords on my kit about 10 years ago and they are really useful. Actually they are fundamental to a Continental style of play. A year or two ago I made up a little excel spreadsheet - ostensibly to find 'scales' on the key. It is utterly ignorant of music theory and you have to list the notes yourself (but they are already entered for most common chords/scales).  

It's at http://chrisryall.net/scalefinder.xls - needs MS Excel to work ("Open Office" macros handle the excel.range() method differently). You have to select the notes of the chord you want yourself using the simplest of music theory.

To construct the "I" chord of a scale you start on note 1, and play alternates 1,3,5,7
  To construct its  "IV" chord start on note 4, alternates = 4,6,8,10     It's that simple.

Carry on and the notes wrap in the second octave, eg  1,3,5,7,9,11 starting on D is D maj79,11 - carry on one more and you've a "fully extended chord", using all 7 notes, hence "scale and chords are the same thing".

So while I must apologise for one of my occasional theory expositions - it's not rocket science. Try the spreadsheet if you have MSoffice installed. It's strength is that is finds all chords relating to your eg D scale - this including inversions, push or pull, and those involving bass notes.

It is box independent, indeed instrument independent as simply seeks the notes in the layout you put into the keyboard area. You'll find some chords are partial, but still useful in play.  Some of the 'wrong way' chords, or indeed scale fragments will surprise you.

A reversed main scale button in a helper row (E|D on D/G box) is very useful as it allows virtually full chording on pull.   A glighton does the same "Thus endeth the lesson"   ::)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:19:17 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »

Chris,
Thank you so much -- this is great.  Now I need to carve out some time to devote to this -- I am certain that it will be worth it.
Best regards,
Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal