Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any solution for keeping strap buckles from scratching my instrument?  (Read 9137 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Any solution for keeping strap buckles from scratching my instrument?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:50 AM »

A while ago I bought a large bag (about 2 kilos) of mixed leather scraps or offcuts from the leather merchants

Now there's an idea. I have a piece of soft leather (cut off a discarded garment, I think) which would be perfect for this. A little weekend project coming up...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 08:42:48 AM »

With all this talk of velcro, I'm quite surprised no one's mentioned anything or developed shoulder straps that are fastened by velcro, or something as equally kind to wood instead of metal buckles. It's already used for left hand straps.
Left hand straps don't support the weight of the instrument. Shoulder straps have a different purpose. I'm not sure I'd want to trust the suspension of my instrument to a couple of inches of velcro. If it snagged on something (e.g. clothing) and came undone inadvertently, the results could be disastrous.  :o
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »

Apparently NASA helmets have a Velcro patch inside for use as a nose-scratcher.......maybe a melodeon-related use?  ;D (sorry - late night last night!!)

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Michael Eskin

• Respected Sage
    • AppCordions
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »

I picked up a couple of the fabric buckle covers being sold out of France on eBay. They are wonderful. Ordering two more for the top buckles as well as two more sets for another instrument.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.

Any have a recommendation for a way to keep the strap buckles on my Saltarelle from scratching the instrument? 
I've just bought a set of finger supports for basketball players. There are lots of different makes on Amazon - I bought the longest (42mm). They are a nice tight fit - seem to be made of spandex, nylon and elastic. Cost £3.12 with free postage (for 10).
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#

Those look really neat - better than the insulating tape I have used. I take it it's these ones?.
I've just ordered a set.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.

Those are the ones - though the packet that arrived looked like it might have been from a different batch (just in terms of the packet). If you find out they're no good, PM me and I'll post you a couple of mine.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo

Another useful item: sailors tape, not used to repair sails but the tape used to cover turnbuckles.  It is stretchy vinyl with no adhesive, it sticks to itself.  Many colors.  Not expensive.  Take a look on Amazon if you don't have a sailing store nearby.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

The buckle was carving a groove into my van der Aa, which arrived Christmas Eve, at a rate of knots!

I have wound it with an old, and lonely shoelace found in a cupboard. It was of suitable hue, is undo-able, Planet friendly and is utterly disposable.  Any bets it'll still be there in ten years?  ;)

[edit] Should add that it no longer knots! ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti

Inspired by the black elastic protectors which came with my Loffet, I located some wide (3"), patterned and ribbed elastic at a haberdasher's in Norwich. It comes in red with a "wove" pattern and in ribbed black, and I think is intended for nurses' belts.

It's easy to sew into tubes, and a pair takes about 10 minutes to make. The elastic costs about £3 a metre.

I also bought some narrower elastic, and made a few sets of 2-tone protectors. The colour range is much greater, so it would be possible to get even more fancy and have striped protectors in, for example, your national colours. It just needs a bit more needlework.

dunlustin

• Regular debater

At least some Roland straps come with loops at the bottom to keep buckles well away and velcro at the top.
Perhaps these are available independently?
Is JIMD the man to ask?

ACE

A pack of ten protectors for a quid. Small size ladies rubber gloves, also comes in many colours. Or you can even find free ones from the cupboard under the sink.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti

........ Or you can even find free ones from the cupboard under the sink.

Not if I value my life, I can't!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon

I had some black cord material after cutting off some new cords to make breeches for  :M
My seamstress wife has sewn velcro along the lengths so that it closes around the lower end of both straps from bottom buckle to just above the main mid strap buckle.
The MkII version consists of adding some black tape material sewn into the lower end to tie it onto the bottom strap fixing to stop it riding up whilst playing.
Works a treat!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo

Were these the dimensions:
Each one: 5.3cm long, 2.6cm wide?
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's

Another useful item: sailors tape, not used to repair sails but the tape used to cover turnbuckles.  It is stretchy vinyl with no adhesive, it sticks to itself.  Many colors.  Not expensive.  Take a look on Amazon if you don't have a sailing store nearby.

Sounds like "Vet Wrap". Get it from equine supliers. Added bonus of lots of pretty colours.

911377brian

Use sport bag shoulder straps; they've got strong plastic clips that wont scratch. Some of the straps I see holding up quite small boxes look like crane strops.... ::)

tekyinblack

• Good talker

I've suffered from the same problem, scratches from strap buckles, which doesn't change a box much, but is a real irritation and a put off to future buyers should you want to sell.
But why are straps supplied that can?
I've bought replacement straps made of fabric and plastic (Hohner) which have worked very well, including being secured with velcro on the top end, but generally got the impression from the vendor I was buying an inferior product. (or was maybe just an inferior customer?)
Equally I've been able to buy straps with metal buckles, where the metalwork has been rounded off and there are no sharp edges.

So, would there be a market for someone making/selling good quality straps, secure, plenty of adjustment, that didn't scratch either your £2500 (insert mortgage figure here) pride and joy or £100 favourite?
Castagnari Sander D/G, Hohner Club III D/G, Hohner Liliput Eb/Bb, Hohner Club II C/F

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping

Use sport bag shoulder straps; they've got strong plastic clips that wont scratch. Some of the straps I see holding up quite small boxes look like crane strops.... ::)

I've bought replacement straps made of fabric and plastic (Hohner) which have worked very well, including being secured with velcro on the top end, but generally got the impression from the vendor I was buying an inferior product. (or was maybe just an inferior customer?)
Equally I've been able to buy straps with metal buckles, where the metalwork has been rounded off and there are no sharp edges.

Plastic clips and rounded-off metal buckles can still cause damage: grooves, indentations and bruising of wood casework, perhaps, rather than scratches which cut through a varnished finish into the underlying wood. Don't forget that damage can be caused while the instrument is in its case being transported if the buckles rub against the woodwork.

All of these can be avoided by using one or other of the soft protective sleeve designs as described in previous posts. It's a no-brainer really.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Gandy

• Respected Sage

Called self-amalgamating tape (or Scotch 23).   Be aware that it's softer than normal pvc insulating tape, more rubbery and more likely to get snagged.  When we used it at work to insulate underwater joints we always covered it with pvc tape to protect it.
Tony S
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal