Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any solution for keeping strap buckles from scratching my instrument?  (Read 9138 times)

ButtonBox21

• Regular debater

I recently bought a new Dino Baffetti 19 button/8 bass organetto in Black. I don't want any scratches on the bellows or body caused by the buckles. And I use two straps. Check with your local accordion dealer. There are covers made to protect the accordion from scratches caused by the buckles. I have seen two styles. One has Velcro and you fold it over the buckle and press the Velcro together. The other is an elastic tube which slips over the buckle after you attach the strap to the accordion. I have used both and prefer the elastic one. They are very reasonably priced. If you can't locate them locally then try The Button Box (www.buttonbox.com) in Sunderland, MA USA. They sell the Velcro style. The elastic style is sold by Emillio Accordions (www.emillioaccordions.com) from Stamford, CT USA. Good luck. :||:
Keep on Squeezin'

MR Q

Hi I play three different melodeons,and have never experienced buckle damage to bellows,as I am very carefull to set the straps so this does not happen,perhaps the problem is because players are sitting on a chair with the instrument resting on thier thigh,and not having the straps adjusted for this.
      I would politely suggest that if you set your straps for playing standing up so your instrument is close to your body without slack in the straps and you use both straps whilst sitting if you have a heavy instrument,you will not have the problem.
      If you find your melodeon is too heavy for you to play standing up,there are melodeons made that are quite light, especially the Italian ones.
   I do know that in most pub sessions players sit to play,but I have found by using two straps whilst sitting it stops the buckles fouling the bellows,and you need to set them close to the brackets to achieve this.         So I hope my input to this discussion is of some use.
hohner club hohner 114 hohner pokerwork salterelle B C general Tom Thumb Excalibur G C Excalibur C organetto

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo

Gandy--

I think that is the stuff.

I usually wrap it a few times with a slight stretch so it sticks.

If you warm it very slightly it sticks even better.

Another is "Coban" a self-adhesive medical tape, kind of brown and krinkly, does not look that bad.  Does tend to "unstick" though, similar to the "sailors tape".
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall

1. Go to Geldrop, near NL/German border
2. Winge to Frans van der Aa that his buckles scratch his lovely paint job
3. Show him your "shoelace solution"
4. Watch him replace it with some nice black nylon fabric tubing

;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti

Another useful item: sailors tape, not used to repair sails but the tape used to cover turnbuckles.  It is stretchy vinyl with no adhesive, it sticks to itself.  Many colors.  Not expensive.  Take a look on Amazon if you don't have a sailing store nearby.

Called self-amalgamating tape (or Scotch 23).   Be aware that it's softer than normal pvc insulating tape, more rubbery and more likely to get snagged.  When we used it at work to insulate underwater joints we always covered it with pvc tape to protect it.
I have used this stuff a lot as a commercial fisherman, and it is indeed good. I wouldn't use it for this, though. It grabs on to whatever it is wrapped around, and the outer surface (on the UK product)has a soft yet sticky surface. It also hardens with age, and has to be cut off with a very sharp scalpel.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping

Another useful item: sailors tape, not used to repair sails but the tape used to cover turnbuckles.  It is stretchy vinyl with no adhesive, it sticks to itself.  Many colors.  Not expensive.  Take a look on Amazon if you don't have a sailing store nearby.

Called self-amalgamating tape (or Scotch 23).   Be aware that it's softer than normal pvc insulating tape, more rubbery and more likely to get snagged.  When we used it at work to insulate underwater joints we always covered it with pvc tape to protect it.
I have used this stuff a lot as a commercial fisherman, and it is indeed good. I wouldn't use it for this, though. It grabs on to whatever it is wrapped around, and the outer surface (on the UK product)has a soft yet sticky surface. It also hardens with age, and has to be cut off with a very sharp scalpel.
I've used self-amalgamating tape on a number of occasions too, but only for protecting electronic groundwater monitoring gubbins inserted down wells and boreholes. It can indeed be quite gooey and sticky at first - a bit like gaffer tape covered in black tar, and like Prestidigitator, I wouldn't recommend its use for covering melodeon strap buckles.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube

I wrap mine in teatowels when they're in their cases. 
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping

I wrap mine in teatowels when they're in their cases.
I hope they are dry  ::)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube

They are a pair of matching Ireland "Wacky Woolies" souvenier teatowels with many different types of sheep on, and were completely unused when they were pressed into service as melodeon protectors.  I would not sully them by drying dishes with them.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.

"Wacky Woolies" souvenier teatowels

Ah, not for Border then.  ;)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal