Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAD on stage...  (Read 6110 times)

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
Re: MAD on stage...
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »

A pile of boxes-no I don't have MAD.

Hey Ray that looks a lot like my pile (I have an old gray club--what, the victoria?--and a couple of red ones...).  I'm curious--which of those do you play the most?  FOr me it's the two rows...I hardly touch the concertinas these days...  Never thought of stacking em like that--looks pretty cool.  

Here's a pile of stuff I currently play--although I'm not playing my horns since I got another pedal steel last week....I'm in love again   :|bl
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:46:50 PM by catty »

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »

An impressive collection as well!
As to which gets played the most from my pile - I'm bound to say it's the Saltarelle A/D/G that I bought for playing in the band when playing the Corona III for four hours for a ceilidh became hard work! The red Corona III is played now exclusively for morris as it is very powerful. The black Corona III was my original instrument and when it started to show signs of age I had it retuned to C*/D/G thinking it would be fun, but I actually found it wasn't. The Club is a beautiful Club III not de-clubbed and is used for singing and for playing french music. The Lilliput is in Bb and Eb and belonged to a friend's father (Danish) who used to play it in mountain chalets so has its own repertoire of his music. The 1 row in G and the anglo feature with my walkabout persona of Professor Squeezyjig.  And everyone should have a poker work-that one is now painted matt black and is my 'stealth melodeon'. Most of them feature in my show a Pile of Boxes along with an assortment of string instruments. Not featured in the picture is the Roland which is used exclusively for solo performance e.g. busking or wedding bookings as I have become disenchanted with trying to haul a full band, drum kit and PA through crowds of excitable people and trying to fit onto a stage the size of a handkerchief! So they are all played, but in the same way that a carpenter doesn't use the same chisel all the time (and definately not for undoing screws!) Each of them has a job to do and they all have to earn their keep.

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »

Thanks Ray...I used to lug around a bunch of instruments (used to do a similar thing to Pile o' Boxes--a "history of banjo" thing...).  My current pile there represents my current interest (substitute pedal steel for horns)--I have further collections in the closets...which may or may not come out as the spirit moves..

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »

Pedal steel guitar sounds good fun! Nothing in my closets not even skeletons-everything is all over the floor!

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »

Did a shortened version of my 'Pile of Boxes' show last night. 5 melodeons and a concertina with me and a perceptive member of the audience noticed that of the 5 melodeons 4 were made by Hohner.  :||:

Lee Sinclair

• Lonely Mister Punch Ceilidh Band
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »

I'm with Ray on the bit about the FR-18, it makes the sound mans job so easy, no feedback etc. and if you are putting a melodeon through an amplifier the sound is not going to be the same as an acoustic instrument.  Still take my Sander though just as a back up!
Hohner Pokerwork 4 stop C, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Sander D/G, Castagnari Alain 12 A/D, Roland FR-18,
Wheatstone baritone English, Jeffries anglo F/Bb http://www.lonelymisterpunch.co.uk

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »

I'm with Ray on the bit about the FR-18, it makes the sound mans job so easy, no feedback etc. and if you are putting a melodeon through an amplifier the sound is not going to be the same as an acoustic instrument.  Still take my Sander though just as a back up!

One size fits all, eh?

If a sound person managed to make my two melodeon mics continually feedback, then I reckon we'd be screwed anyway.

I use my boxes in a variety of situations, often without proper/convenient electrical supplies or PA.

Melodeons are simple, microphones are simple. Point melodeon at microphone and let the person at the desk sort out the sound and balance etc. (that's what they have to do in any eventuality even with electronic instruments). The FR-18 is a big complicated expensive electronic instrument, it probably "does the job", but so do my melodeons with more versatility, and I like melodeons :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:46:26 PM by Andrew Wigglesworth »

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »

Oh heck, I ought to add.

If your circumstances fit an FR-18 and you are happy with it, then I wish you much, um, happiness.   :||:

There are lots of things I'm not particularly interested in, that just happens to be one rather unimportant (to me ) one.   :Ph

Lee Sinclair

• Lonely Mister Punch Ceilidh Band
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »

Expensive? big? complicated? It's lighter than my Alain 12 and probably easier to play than any of my acoustic instruments.
Hohner Pokerwork 4 stop C, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Sander D/G, Castagnari Alain 12 A/D, Roland FR-18,
Wheatstone baritone English, Jeffries anglo F/Bb http://www.lonelymisterpunch.co.uk

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »

Definately cheaper than my Saltarelle and not that much bigger than my Corona III. However it was bought for purely business reasons and has already shown it fits the bill. When I want to play melodeon then I do!

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »

I`ve never heard an FR18 , does it have dedicated Melodeon presets in or are they just the same (PA) sounds from the FR1 ? . I`s expect that it also has the advantage of being settable to any tuning layout, though I`d think the bass end would be only the usual Stradella or freebass the FRs offer (not practical to setup as a normal Melodeon diatonic 8 or 12 bass layout) .
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 08:56:33 AM »

I`ve never heard an FR18
Well - it's been occupying many people on this forum for many months now. You need to search through past threads. Here's a good starting place:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,7311.260.html
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

The Fr 18 comes with normal bass and treble set up for 2 and three row diatonic melodeon (as well as BC and BC C* layouts)and can be set to any keys. Standard is  GCF but one button oress changes to ADG or any other combination. In fact the bass is better set up for diatonic than for piano accordeon style layouts. All buttons can be individually set to whatever note you want through a simple computer tablature maker programme so you could in essence design something completelely new if you wanted to.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »

Thanks Steve and Ray, I`ll take a look at that link and it sounds totally re-configurable !
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal