Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I REALLY Can't use left hand basses... any pointers  (Read 6568 times)

Marje

• Respected Sage
Re: I REALLY Can't use left hand basses... any pointers
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »

I agree, having heard that clip, you're doing really well. You're tending to stress the offbeat, which may or may not be intentional but it gives the music a nice lift and bounce.

What I said about crossing rows etc is, of course, not relevant to a one-row but will apply to your new two-row.

For the moment I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to simple tunes with a predictable bass pattern, just while you get the hang of playing two-handed. Once that's starting to become automatic, you can start to consider refinements as to your choice of basses. As Q says, you're on the way and it will soon seem more natural to play with both hands as you move on to other tunes. With many instruments, there's some "unlearning" of early habits to do before you can move past a certain point, so just hang in there and tell yourself that even if it feels like two steps back and one forward, it it in fact real progess.
Marje

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »

Sounded good to me - i subscrbed to u on youtube ! If u wanted to vary it u could play a short bass note and long chord or visa versa

george garside

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »

sounded very good to me too! especialy considering the limitations of  having just 2 bass.  A couple of eas;y ways of varying it a bit are
1.to stop playing the bass for  a bit of the tune ( where is entirley up to the player)  it changes the overall effect by throwing the emphasis onto the melody - the key trick is to bring the bass in exactly at a predetermined place in the tune. This can be particularly useful on a one row where  a series of fast bellows reversals are required eg in harvest home as it stops things going mushy.

2. to occasionally ( again you choose where) play eeither bass & chord together for ? one bar or to perhaps synchronise with the last two notes of the A or B part of the tune ( this depends of coursse on the tune!

3. again occasionally instead of playing um pa, um pa,  a change can be had by playing um pa, pa pa, um pa, um pa etc.  With a bit of praactice & experiment place(s) for the  pa pa instead of um pa ssound right will be fairly obvious.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal