Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage 16 Bass  (Read 3916 times)

AirTime

Vintage 16 Bass
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »

Here's a nice looking vintage box currently being listed on US Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280818568949?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

How unusual is it to have 16 basses on a 2 row?

Why is this Nicolo Salanti "Made in Germany"?  Is it a re-badged Hoher?

1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Re: Vintage 16 Bass
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »

Yes, that was a name used by Hohner in the old days. The trim in the cabinet and metal corners are pure Hohner. Back then, there were a wider variety of tunings in use and 16 bass options were common, as were boxes with 12 or 18 basses. I don't have my flash drive on hand to consult the registry from History Unfolds but sometimes the same model number came with multiple bass configurations as options, presumably as different price points. The accordion in the auction looks to be in rather nice condition.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:30:05 AM »

Gods above, the seller is aware that the instrument needs work! Blimey. Is this one of the ones with the long air button?
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »

I believe the seller is a dealer and importer of accordions, his website is here. You can find a listing for this one on the Used instrument page under ""button boxes", if you scroll down. If you are interested, I would suggest calling him directly and asking all the pointed questions you can think of, as well as having him audition it over the phone.
  It looks like a newer version of my old Supertone, which shares many similarities with Hohner construction.

AirTime

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »

I didn't realize that the seller is Castiglione, but yes, whoever he is, he is an accordion dealer & tends to describe the accordions he lists on Ebay in a "realistic" way - if they need work, he points that out in the listing.

I was under the impression that there were Nicolo Salanti piano accordions & had assumed they were Italian-made. Did Italian-made accordions even back in the 1920's - 40's have a cachet that led Hohner to adopt pseudo-Italian branding?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:37:17 AM »

Castglione is an old company in the US, they made Detroit international and lira. they still have instruments made in Italy under the company name He does know quite a bit about accordions, but I have found that they can be a bit optimistic about the condition of some of the used instruments the have, but they are far more accurate than your average seller.
 Hohner was all about selling instruments under other names Carmen, l'Italia, Ancona to name a few. The Nicolo Salanti I rebuilt for Skip Henderson had some differences from Hohner that were notable. Bellow pins were not used, the body was held to the bellows with long screws that went down the frame to the bellows, sort of like a concertina ,or a cajun box.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »

Castglione is an old company in the US, they made Detroit international and lira. they still have instruments made in Italy under the company name He does know quite a bit about accordions, but I have found that they can be a bit optimistic about the condition of some of the used instruments the have, but they are far more accurate than your average seller.
 Hohner was all about selling instruments under other names Carmen, l'Italia, Ancona to name a few. The Nicolo Salanti I rebuilt for Skip Henderson had some differences from Hohner that were notable. Bellow pins were not used, the body was held to the bellows with long screws that went down the frame to the bellows, sort of like a concertina ,or a cajun box.

Koch used that method of bellows attachment for a while, it seems they discontinued it in favor of the latches on the outside of the case. I've seen several Nicolo Salanti accordions that have the same hardware as Kock models, including the screws you mentioned, that are different than Hohner. But also some that are Hohner to a tee -- corners, keyboard, bellows pins, etc. My guess is that Hohner acquired rights to the Nicolo Salanti name when they assumed control of Koch. I'm interested to know if it was a koch line (like Carmen was for Hohner) or if that was a retailer's brand. I have a vague memory of seeing them for sale in an old Sears Roebuck catalog.

FWIW I did a blog post, with photos, on the variety of names Hohner has used. Link is here.

AirTime

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »

I just went for this vintage Koch - virtually identical to the EbBb Hohner I purchased recently, except for the 2-tone wood & the fancy hardware. I couldn't help it  ... I thought it was kind of purdy.  ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250997108398?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1109

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »

I just went for this vintage Koch - virtually identical to the EbBb Hohner I purchased recently, except for the 2-tone wood & the fancy hardware. I couldn't help it  ... I thought it was kind of purdy.  ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250997108398?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1109

The link is to a Hohner Overture which sure aint purdy  ::)

AirTime

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:16:56 AM »

Sorry if that set your teeth on edge Lester.   ;)  Here's the correct link:

'http://www.ebay.com/itm/230745071083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1199
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal