Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunes from Wensleydale and Swaledale  (Read 28436 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Tunes from Wensleydale and Swaledale
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »

Sorry, Pikey, Ken and Brian - I missed Pikey's original post asking about keys. Everything will be playable on a D/G box.

Most of the tunes were in G or D originally; one is in A minor, one in Am Dorian and another in A Myxolydian, all of which are playable on a D/G box without requiring accidentals.

The exceptions were those from Kit White from Thwaite in Swaledale, who played a one-row box in C. I have included three of his tunes in the booklet I have almost finished preparing. I transposed two of them into G, but I left Sward'le Lasses in C because, being pentatonic, it does not need any F notes.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »

Summerstars (and anyone else looking for campsite accommodation):

Last time I checked (on Monday), the Caravan Club site at Brown Moor was fully booked, but there was still space available at Bainbridge Ings, which is a ten minute walk from the museum and the pub. There is ample Pay & Display parking at the museum, although you might be able to find a free parking spot on the main road if you are lucky.

Anyone wishing to book into Bainbridge Ings, which caters for caravans, mobile homes and tents, should phone Mark and Janet Facer on 01969 667354.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »

My humble crawling apologies will be coming with pikey. We shall be in Brighouse at Webbo's ALmost Diamond Jubillee. Have fun!  :||: :||: :|||: :||: :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »

Bob,

Bainbridge Ings camping site wouldn't let me book in for one night only  -  saying I had to wait until saturday morning to see if they still had space ........
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:45 AM »

Sorry to hear about the problem with Bainbridge Ings. I can understand their thinking, but it doesn't help you.

Hopefully, there will still be space. If not, I would suggest going down to the museum, which doubles as the Tourist Information Centre. They will have addresses of other caravan sites in the area. The staff are very helpful and will usually (if not too busy) ring the sites for you.

Good luck!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »

We shall be in Brighouse at Webbo's ALmost Diamond Jubillee.

Maker of the best Parkin on the planet. I'll be sorry to miss it!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2012, 08:16:35 PM »

No parkin? ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »

Maker of the best Parkin on the planet. I'll be sorry to miss it!

Parkin, pah! The Dales Folk Tune Workshop in Hawes this Saturday will feature refreshments including what is probably the best fruitcake in the world...ever! Made to a secret recipe by Richard, the grandson of Elijah Allen, the famous (locally, at least!) Hawes grocer, it will be accompanied by Wensleydale Special Reserve cheese fresh from the local dairy, not to mention Yorkshire biscuits!

If you don't come for the music, then perhaps the refreshments will tempt you.

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:09 PM »

;D
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »

Cheers Bob ...(,,,,,,), (,,,,,,), (,,,,,,) ! :'(
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »

Just to refresh Dr Dales' instructions for tomorrow. - took me a while to find 'em amongst the cyberchat

OK folks! Arrangements have been made for a day of Yorkshire Dales tunes at Hawes. The date is Saturday 19 May, which chose itself when I enquired about available dates at the pub and the museum and cross-referenced it with festivals with which it would be wise to avoid clashing.

The provisional programme is for an afternoon workshop in the Dales Countryside Museum in Hawes learning local tunes and listening to field recordings of Dales musicians made in the 1950s and 1970s. Then a break for people to feed themselves before embarking on a session in the White Hart, which is on the cobbled street just off the market square in the centre of Hawes. The session can't start until 8.30 p.m. because the pub will need the seating in the bar for serving food until then.

Further information now available is that the workshop will run from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. with a break for light refreshments in the middle, and that it is FREE. The workshop will provide an opportunity to learn local tunes from Wharfedale, Wensleydale, Dentdale, Swaledale and Baldersdale. There will also be field recordings of local musicians (including two melodeon players!) to help us get a feel for how the tunes were played when those recordings were made in the 1950s and 1970s. The venue is confirmed as the Dales Countryside Museum at Hawes. The evening tune session will be in the White Hart Hotel near the centre of Hawes and will begin at 8.30 p.m.

There is a large Pay and Display car park at the museum. Caravans, camper vans and motor homes can book into Brown Moor Caravan Park, operated by the Caravan Club (5 mnutes walk away), or Bainbridge Ings (10 minutes walk away), which takes tents as well as caravans and motor homes. There is also a YHA in Hawes and I can provide details of B & B accommodation to anyone who wants to PM me for them..

c ya  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »

Well i'm here in the yha - anyone else?
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »

Hi Brian,

If I had picked up your message earlier, we could have met for a drink. See you tomorrow at the museum.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »

Bit more field intelligence

Matthew, landlord at the White Hart has put aside 2 tables for us (approx 18 seats)  and I've undertaken to let him know rough numbers.

They seem to do a range of meat/veg/chips meals (ie not just steak/lassagne) and I've personally booked in for supper. Again I offered to tout this at the Museum as it'll be convenient to eat at same tables and will keep other tourists off the seats for later on.   Please contact me if you want to join the table (will be carrying the Oakwood 3-row). Again he'd be grateful for rough numbers as the eatery fills up.

White Hart also has rooms! Again I've booked there .. climbing the stairs may be all I'm up to by midnight.  There are presently 4 left at £39 per person. Phone 01969 667214

Happy for this to be cc'd to any other internet group involved.  CHris
  _       _    _      _ 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »

Well? How did it go?  (:) :||: (:)  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »

Bob did an excellent job of presenting the tunes he had researched, in both audio and written formats and the ten of us in the workshop had a wonderful time trying some of them out.  Well done Bob !!!! 

We also had a very nice relaxed session in the evening.

Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »

May I also commend Bob's event to all here. His teaching afternoon assumed you could either read from music fairly efficiently, or pick up be year ditto - it worked. We did about 12 tunes, and all were joining in by second or third iteration. Really kept itself moving. The hardest melodies were actually those that were "rather like, though different" from non Dales versions! We all loved "Dent hornpipe" which plays in mixolydian A (ie on D row, G instead of G#) with C naturals in there too as passing notes. This gave it a distinctly 'blues' feel - but it pre-dates blues "collected Vaughn Williams 1904!   

Bob had evident knowledge in depth about both the tunes and the people who had played them, and we also got to hear Peter Kennedy's recordings of the 50's.  Nice meal in the pub (8 of us) moving on to a session with only one switch of seats .. to accommodate the 3 south paws.  I can also advise that the B&B at £40 pp was very good value.

So thanks, and would hope to go again in 2013 :|glug   Who won the football, incidentally?
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »

:-)

Bob - thanks for a superbly organised and managed afternoon .  I must learn the Dentdale blues tune and put it on YouTube!

Cheers!

Pikey

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2012, 10:04:32 AM »

I can also confirm an excellent days "playing".  Many thanks to Bob for the organisation and work on the tunes.  I know these things do not just "make" themselves.

He even arranged for the bunting to be out in the main street to greet us, and the bikers to put on a show for us!

We stayed the whole weekend and had a walk to see the red squirrels (actually we saw one), and a nice meal in the Creamery Restaurant before heading back to West Lancashire late Sunday afternoon. Even the weather was good on Sunday.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »

Thanks very much for the appreciative comments about the workshop and session at Hawes. I am glad people enjoyed it and I hope that you will keep playing some, at least, of the tunes in the booklet. I have corrected the transcription errors we noted in Kit White's verson of The Self and I have attached a revised version to this post.

Some people have asked if I will run a similar event next year. This looks possible. There are quite a lot of other tunes in the archive already, besides the ones we used in the workshop on Saturday, and the research project continues, so I am hopeful that I will acquire more tunes as it progresses. The curator of the museum told me today that she would be happy for the museum to host another workshop next year. So, if the demand is there, it can be met.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal