Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are notes Right / Wrong / or just different ?  (Read 12039 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Are notes Right / Wrong / or just different ?
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »

George - Yes, but *very quietly*  :D
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2012, 05:18:55 PM »

This is my stream of consciousness. Prepare for something of a ramble, probably repeating points others have already made.

As someone who can read music, but find it almost impossible to sight read something without hearing it first, I'd plonk my bum firmly in the 'learning by ear' camp. I also find it difficult to improvise tunes that I've learnt as easily as some people seem to be able to do it.

The problem I've found with music is that everyone has their own opinion of how music should be, from either single notes in a tune right up to an entire genre of music. My opinion of what heavy metal should be and what it represents differs greatly from some folk I know. Similarly, my opinion of what folk music is and should be might be completely different to some of you. But that's a can of worms to be wielded in another discussion. My point is that people will often have a different idea of what makes a tune sound 'nice', 'right' or 'wrong'.

Whilst learning the melodeon, I've always noticed a trend for more experienced and talented players to encourage us newbies to play a different way once we've learnt a tune. That's before going into whether or not the tune we've just learnt is the way they would know the tune or how they've learnt it. I'm fine with improvisation and differing approaches to different tunes, but I like it when the process is uncomplicated and I can slog it out without having to think too much about it. Chances are in a session, barely anyone's going to notice your version where you play a note differently or play that chord instead of this chord, bar perhaps the couple of folk sat next to you.

I also see no wrong in meddling with a more recent tune where the composer is still alive or has recorded it. It's obviously happened with older, anonymous tunes.

I do envy those who are able to hear bass runs, alternative basses or combined chords and can transmit them to their fingers. At the same time, I don't really see what's wrong with the typical 'oom-pah' bass/chords you'd usually expect to hear. It's nice to hear variety when it's done well and there are one or two players of this parish who do it with unnerving ease, but it's a bit frustrating to be encouraged to play like that.

Using the 'Chinese Whispers' analogy, when have you ever played it without it becoming at some point, entertaining?

My head's becoming a bit of a mess so I'll stop here, with the conclusion that there's so little that could be considered 'right or wrong' that it barely matters. There's only 'better or worse to my ears'.

Now, where did I put my empty tankard? It needs a refill.
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

birchy

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »

Another problem is that even if you play by the dots, if you look at different sources, the dots are usually different for the same tune. So (if you're a beginner like me) you have to go with the version you like best/ is most like the one your mates play/ gets the fewest sidelong glances at the session or whatever.

It's all good clean fun...

David

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »

I've just checked and I have five different sets of music for "The Canal in October" (and I don't have the original) and I've realised that the version I play isn't any of them!

Steve

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »

And I'm just having a discussion with Pikey about "Brass Nuts". He's going to let me have a copy of him playing and I BET it won't match anything like the dots I have. Ah weel - that folkies for you!  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »

I've just checked and I have five different sets of music for "The Canal in October" (and I don't have the original) and I've realised that the version I play isn't any of them!

Steve

I'd trust the version in Liaisons Diatoniques to be correct or the closest version, but I don't know if that's a well founded assumption...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »

Sounds like time for an experiment:
Form a line along Sidmouth seafront from Jacob's Ladder to the Ham.
One person end plays a tune then after x 2 through, they stop and the next starts....... and see what comes out the other end!
A melodeon based Chineese Whispers?
 ;)

That would be a great game to play. At a melodoen workshop perhaps?

When you write a tune or song, to some extent you have to accept that fact that like children it will leave home and develop a mind and life of its own. The best you can hope for is that changes are made for the best reasons. In a way it's a mark of a good tune that it can be turned to many purposes.

I'd positively encourage people to play and adapt anything wot I wrote. I'm rubbish at writing music so any improvement or embellishment from the 'folk process' would be a bonus. I would be flattered if anyone played one of my tunes.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:24:24 AM by ladydetemps »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal