Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Further to Lester's Thread Drift, but STILL not Morris Dancing  (Read 11931 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Further to Lester's Thread Drift, but STILL not Morris Dancing
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »

The food fights did used to get a bit out of hand sometimes, but we weren't always the guilty party. Hartley go so fed up that they tried to come up with a meal for the feast which couldn't be thrown (stew, mash, and salad), but were proved wrong -- not by us initially, we were the victims of a high-velocity low-trajectory tomato from across the room which landed in our bowl of stew and left us looking like the victims of an explosion in a pie filling factory -- after which it all went a bit pear-shaped...

.. Any ladies who might still wish to apply for this 'elite' hegemony - please contact:

The Morris Ring,  35 - 37 Main Street,  North Anston,  Sheffield,  S25 4BD
.. as per Web site .  Was it Groucho who said "I'd never join any club that would have me as a member"  ???
  _       _    _      _ 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2012, 12:24:36 AM »

I often wondered why we were Slightly Notorious  ...  .... .. .     :M
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2012, 01:02:37 AM »

At the time of the incident to which I referred earlier, Hammersmith were not involved in any chasing around in supermarket trolleys, urinating in the hall or cutting of clothing with razor blades. I was there and I am sure I would have remembered if such things had happened.

Food fights with Bath City and other daft behaviour when Hammersmith and Bath City got together were de rigeur, but they didn't happen at the Ring meeting that caused the Ring hierarchy to try to expel us. I am not even sure that Bath City were at that Ring meeting.

Talking of the late great Tubby Reynolds, my favourite memory of him was at Bromyard Festival in the early '70s. We got up a side of mixed Bath and Hammersmith men to dance in the dark at what must have been around 1.00 or 2.00 a.m. All involved had been drinking heavily, including Tubby. He was leaning against the back of a van playing pipe and tabor, while we danced. After a while, we realised that he was gradually sliding down the back of the van, but he continued playing until his backside reached the ground, when he promptly fell asleep in mid-tune. Happy days!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »

And I'd heard it was a combination of 1. A food fight with Bath University MM and 2. Urination in a public place.

Is there more folklore associated with the Smiffs than with all other London Morris sides put together?  ;D

I was there for the food fight with Bath...or a food fight with Bath...it was the same Ring meeting that got Bath into serious trouble for their accompanying musician (a lovely box player but a stranger to this house..) playing a piano on the back of a lorry...I saw no urination in a public place, m'lud...

Then again, it was my first Ring meeting and I may have strong drink taken.... :|glug :|glug :|glug :|glug :|glug...

The food fights did used to get a bit out of hand sometimes, but we weren't always the guilty party. Hartley go so fed up that they tried to come up with a meal for the feast which couldn't be thrown (stew, mash, and salad), but were proved wrong -- not by us initially, we were the victims of a high-velocity low-trajectory tomato from across the room which landed in our bowl of stew and left us looking like the victims of an explosion in a pie filling factory -- after which it all went a bit pear-shaped...

(yes, you *can* throw mash...)

As a young lad in Ebor Morris, I amde us a 'staff of office' using a bicycle pump with ribbons attached. It was much more functional than a Morris Ring Staff, because when  the food fights started at the Alford  feast you could use it to fire peas at Grimsby/Gorton/Brighton/Alford/Black Cap/Isca and whover else happend to be there!

That's also where we invented the infamous Ebor 'Hat Tower' as somewhere to put the top hats during the meal. It also provided a good target for bread roll chucking.....

;D
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »

Can I just say I think Theo's being ramarkably tolerant here.... (:)
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:05 AM »

I agree!  (:)
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »

I agree!  (:)

Well it is general discussion, and we're STILL following the thread title faithfully... ;)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »

I once saw Blackheath do 'Skirmish' , throwing the sticks acroos a huge set, to be followed by musicians throwing melodeons !

(I had to get a melodeon mention in somewhere........)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

I remember being at the Cardiff Instructional with Tubby in attendance, and Hammersmith insisted on attaching a *huge* flag of hammer and anvil in Smiffs colours to the  roof trusses of the drill hall where we were practising.
Tubby decided he wanted to just 'singe it a bit.....' whereuppon there was a huge 'whuff', flames, smoke, etc etc.... the Cardiff Squire was remarkably tolerant in telling us off. We later realised it happened under the fire sprinklers.....
At breakfast next morning, Tubby told me he only wanted to 'singe it a bit to get 'em going.....' instead it got going in flames!
In an attempt at a mid-hangover polite breakfast converstaion, I remarked on how much I enjoyed a song from the night before. Tubby innocently said he didn't know that one.... and  reminded him he sang it!!!!!!!!!!
His war wound was interesting too.....won't tell you where  :|bl
Yep, sound bloke. Great fun, and a wonderful mate for Roy to have fun with......
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »

How do we pile up our top hats on melnet anyway?  >:E
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »

I'd be interested to see your evidence of mixed gender dancing in traditional teams in the early 20th century, Chris.

Arguably, the tradition the Morris Ring is upholding is one of its own invention. That said, traditions all have to start somewhere, and there are still plenty of teams out there who wish to dance in an all-male environment, which is why the Ring continues to exist.
[/quote]
Some interesting quotes from William Kimber in conversation with the Squire of the Ring in 1951 (no I was not present!).
"but let me tell you there was some dancers there as would whack half the men at dancing jigs. Certainly old Jem (Jemima) Smith, she'd challenge any of 'em".

"Let me tell you there, they dances a damn sight neater than half of you do".

"Now who started the Morris in London in the first place and would there have been any Morris at all in London if it hadn't a-been for the ladies?"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal