Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ear Training  (Read 1043 times)

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
Ear Training
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »

I'm using both the Mk2 and Mk1 versions of this software at the moment.  Admitedly my current emphasis is on bass playing but I'm finding them very helpful. I have installed under Windows and both installations are clean (virus free) and do what it says on the tin. http://www.miles.be/software

Steve

Jackhumphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
Re: Ear Training
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:17:55 AM »

Thanks very much for this, Steve.  Isn't melnet marvelous!

I arrogantly thought I would sail through this, relying on my doh, re, mi note-naming  skills from 50 years ago.
But I've just been trying it out and I only sailed as far as step 5 when I get "not good enough" -- caught out by notes below the home octave.  So even though I can do  transcribing,  I'm SLOW, requiring many repetitions.  Now I know the reason why. So I plan to use the programme to get quicker.

I think it's a brilliantly helpful and simple process. Eventually one recognises the note immediately by its character relative to the scale context.

In case anyone's interested who's thinking about downloading, here's an outline.

The programme names each step of the scale with a number 1-7
It then trains you to recognise which step is being played relative to a scene-setting chord sequence.
So for each item: 

A Chord sequence plays (cadence) to set the temporary key
A single note plays
You press a number to indicate which note of the scale was played.

I've just done page 5, with 50 items like that, with a maximum of 3 errors "allowed" for progression.

My knowledge of Precision Teaching tells me that having got at least 47/50  it would be advisable also to gain fluency on the skill, i.e. doing the 50 in (say)  a minute. At that speed it has to be automatic. Perhaps having done the whole programme slowly, one could return to do it with a speed challenge.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Ear Training
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:27:39 PM »

Just had my first attempt at this and I think I have a long way to go! Intriguing, I'l definitely be going back for more.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo D/G, Albrecht Custom Liliput D/G
Hohner B/E, B/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G G scale, C/F, Bb/Eb
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal