Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for March 2012: Film Music  (Read 24846 times)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Theme of the Month for March 2012: Film Music
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

Thanks Smiley.  It's a Saltarelle Tramontane 11/10/9 14 bass D/G/Acc button accordion, tuning as attached.

Chris,

I too had wondered about the tuning. The use of half tone changes suggested a non standard set up. (It is a source of great frustration that I can't do this on the Corona.) Looking at the attached chart I was, at first, intrigued by the some of the choices. I had to rewrite the bass layout using flats rather than sharps (enharmonic exchange) for it to make sense. (F/A# doesn't make much sense to me, F/Bb does). Anyway, great use of the available harmonic palette. I look forward to hearing more.

Mike
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Chris Brimley

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 01:22:30 PM »

No great mystery about the way I wrote it out, Mike, it's just that my QWERTY keyboard has a symbol for 'sharp', but nothing for 'flat', and the extra symbols available don't help much.  I've tried using other fonts for a decent 'flat' symbol, but nothing really works.  More recently, I tend to just use 'b', but it's often somewhat confusing!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »

I've tried using other fonts for a decent 'flat' symbol, but nothing really works.

Melnet's forum software actually gets this right so that it should be consistent across all platforms. Every page declares its character set as UTF-8 and you should be able to get a flat symbol using any Unicode font that includes it. (Fonts calling themselves "Unicode" usually have a very large character repertoire, even if it's not the complete set. ♭ = U+266D and is in in Lucida Sans Unicode on this Windows XP box, for example) The "Character Map" tool helps you to find it, and on my Linux system the equivalent "Character Pallette" lets me have a subset of frequently used characters readily available on a desktop toolbar for even quicker access.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Mike Hirst

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »

I've tried using other fonts for a decent 'flat' symbol, but nothing really works.

Melnet's forum software actually gets this right so that it should be consistent across all platforms. Every page declares its character set as UTF-8 and you should be able to get a flat symbol using any Unicode font that includes it. (Fonts calling themselves "Unicode" usually have a very large character repertoire, even if it's not the complete set. ♭ = U+266D and is in in Lucida Sans Unicode on this Windows XP box, for example) The "Character Map" tool helps you to find it, and on my Linux system the equivalent "Character Pallette" lets me have a subset of frequently used characters readily available on a desktop toolbar for even quicker access.

Thanks Anahata,

This is useful to know. A quick play around with character codes found on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_%28music%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_%28music%29

and I can do this:

C♯ F♯ B E A D G C F B♭ E♭ A♭

(:)
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Chris Brimley

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

Like this, you mean, under 'Insert Code'?  Test: 
Code: [Select]
U+266D

Chris Brimley

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »

Ah, no, that doesn't work!  Where's the Character Map tool?

Mike Hirst

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »

Ah, no, that doesn't work!

Chris,

I found it easiest to cut and paste.  I wrote an html page with musical symbols and pasted the browser output into the forum post. I suspect there may be an easier way of doing this. Would it be possible to include musical symbols in the forum post tool? Maybe underneath the emoticons?  :-\

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:25:03 PM by Mike Hirst »

Chris Brimley

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »

Yes, that's what I tend to do if I'm trying to use an accented letter for example.  But I've just tried inserting a flat symbol in MS Word (Arial, for example) in the same way, and clicking on 'Unicode' in the drop down menu, then entering code 266D, and it just comes up with a funny Latin h.  And searching through all the characters available, I'm blowed if I can find the right one.  I'm doing something wrong I know!

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »

I've just tried inserting a flat symbol in MS Word (Arial, for example) in the same way, and clicking on 'Unicode' in the drop down menu, then entering code 266D, and it just comes up with a funny Latin h.

Some of those techniques expect the character code in decimal instead of hex. That would be  9837 for the ♭ sign.

There seems to be a desperate lack of standardisation here...

DanCeekey

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »

So I finally decided to go for a very well known melody from the superb movie Dances with Wolves. The John Dunbar Theme lends itself well to be played on a melodeon. I've made a short recording of it which you can find over here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xietdS5KCEE&hd=1

joreema

• Good talker
  • Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »

I like this version from John Barry.  I have to go out now and make a campfire in order to dance.
Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann Duet, Chemnitzer Konzertina

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »

I had an idea to try 'Putting On The Ritz' on my basic D/G box and it seems to go alright. The melody and accompaniment can be played OK in Em, but since I don't have the patience or dexterity to play it well I just recorded the bass separately. I've discovered enough patience to record a 'session' version on a 19 button Baffetti BPII (with low notes, no accidentals).

http://soundcloud.com/dogbox/stuffing-up-the-ritz

The song was written in 1929 by Irving Berlin for the film of the same name.
Ian
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:57:25 AM by smiley »

pammylou

• Dino Baffetti, Castagnari Tommy, Serenellini Dona
    • Rattlejag Morris
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »

I have recently learnt Shrewsbury Lasses, a traditional country dance tune.  I notice that it is played in the 1995 BBC production of Pride & Prejudice, Episode 2, Part 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq2OLNG0f0E), about 3.20 minutes in. 

I thought it might make a good contribution to this month's Theme of the Month.  It is played on my Castagnari Tommy, with, unfortunately, one or two blunders :(   I had a few goes at recording it but never managed it without a couple of blunders so I have uploaded the best of the bunch ::)

Here is the link:
http://youtu.be/2sVG4SIA2YY

Pam

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »

So I finally decided to go for a very well known melody from the superb movie Dances with Wolves. The John Dunbar Theme lends itself well to be played on a melodeon. I've made a short recording of it which you can find over here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xietdS5KCEE&hd=1
nice sound  I really like that movie too. my brother in law did the production design for it. I started to pick it out by ear but will need to listen some more before i get it. what key did you play it in?

well I thought I would do a couple of tunes from another movie I like ( O'Brother where art thou ) lots of good tunes in it.
not really worthy of all the good stuff put up by all but you got to start somewhere.
Bluegrass and melodeon? maybe someone else could do some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBr1H-Pd2vQ
Michael
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

DanCeekey

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »

nice sound  I really like that movie too. my brother in law did the production design for it. I started to pick it out by ear but will need to listen some more before i get it. what key did you play it in?
Thanks. I guess I've played it in the key of F. The chords I've found in the enclosed pdf file. Maybe this could be an inspiration. Greetings, Daniel

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »

Godfather tunes
http://youtu.be/nGFI7QBWAh4

I like  Nina Rota and Morricone film  themes... but having tried this one, I realise why we haven't heard  many melodeon versions: I had to practice a lot  to find all those  those sharps and flats. The waltz is cut short, as it all went wrong  the second time through.  Played on Loffet Pro  CF  with what would be A minor and E major fingering on a GD. Hope you like.

OldJack

• Good talker
    • Suisun Sailor
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 06:35:20 AM »

Godfather tunes
http://youtu.be/nGFI7QBWAh4

I like  Nina Rota and Morricone film  themes... but having tried this one, I realise why we haven't heard  many melodeon versions: I had to practice a lot  to find all those  those sharps and flats. The waltz is cut short, as it all went wrong  the second time through.  Played on Loffet Pro  CF  with what would be A minor and E major fingering on a GD. Hope you like.

I do like it. Thanks. I've got a bit on my CG Anglo and need to work on the rest. It's never going to fit on my one row; so, eventually I've got to move on to more rows, or something. Thanks again for showing how it ought to be.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »

At last... "Feed The Birds" from Mary Poppins. (you can tell I don't go to a lot of movies...)
I thought this would be easy but it wasn't. The chorus is straightforward enough, but there's a lot more to it than that.
Smoothed down with lashings of reverb and a little compression too.

http://youtu.be/nBDEO30RCU0

I just hope the YouTube copyright censors don't take it down - but that would be a problem with a lot of film music.

Jinkers1

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »

Anahata - well done!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »

That was a real joy to listen to Anahata!  (:)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal