Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Castagnari - Which models do you use  (Read 15996 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Castagnari - Which models do you use
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 10:20:10 AM »

Yep, looks like a Mory, >10 years old, predating the current logo, and the plastic/metal (?) scroll that predated that. Perhaps Theo or Rees can be a bit more precise?

Cheers,

Clive

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 01:10:04 PM »

So far then, from the current Castagnari website we're missing:

Niko
Jean-Pierre
Viky
Laura
Stephania
Alain
Evo
Monmartre (I want one!!!)
Wielly
Dony
Rik
Giasco III
Roma
Ciacy (could this be the Italian spelling of Jacky?)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:17:33 PM by Dazbo »
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »

Robert Tromp

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »

I did own a Castagnari Fazzy for a few years. This is in fact the same instrument as the hascy; only this type has 12 basses. Mine was in C-F with G-C-F basses.
Nice instrument, but Castagnari is not really my kind of thing, so after a few years i sold it again.

Robert

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »

Yep, looks like a Mory, >10 years old, predating the current logo, and the plastic/metal (?) scroll that predated that. Perhaps Theo or Rees can be a bit more precise?

It is a Mory. Difficult to tell the age from the small photo, but my guess is somewhere between 1988 andd 1995 (ish).
The year of manufacture will be written inside somewhere. Usually under the grille or next to the treble reed-blocks.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »

I used to have a Nik (with hand-made reeds), now have a G/C Tommy from the late 80's and a similar date 3-row Dony -- I persuaded Castagnari to convert one of their first prototype "Dony Nuovo" 2 1/2 rows into a 3 row for me, D/G/acc, bandoneon tuning (2 dry reeds an octave apart).

Ian

So far then, from the current Castagnari website we're missing:

Niko
Jean-Pierre
Viky
Laura
Stephania
Alain
Evo
Monmartre (I want one!!!)
Wielly
Dony
Rik
Giasco III
Roma
Ciacy (could this be the Italian spelling of Jacky?)

Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 06:05:02 AM »

It is a Mory. Difficult to tell the age from the small photo, but my guess is somewhere between 1988 andd 1995 (ish).
The year of manufacture will be written inside somewhere. Usually under the grille or next to the treble reed-blocks.

It has "268" written and stamped in a few places inside.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »

I used to have a Nik (with hand-made reeds), now have a G/C Tommy from the late 80's

Is that the red Tommy you had, the very first Castagnari I played?

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »

I have a Roma in G/C, modified to add add a bass reed in the treble, and with a stop to take out the thirds. I use it to play French music, and it sounds absolutely lovely and is delightful to play. It's small; just a bit bigger than a Tommy I think.

Someone's got a video of one on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjf9tMOInes . Mine is the cherry rather than the walnut.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 07:36:26 PM »

It has "268" written and stamped in a few places inside.

That will be a batch number to aid in construction. The date will be in Italian and say something like "Febbraio 1989" or "Settembre 1991".
www.melodeons.com

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »

I used to have a Nik (with hand-made reeds), now have a G/C Tommy from the late 80's

Is that the red Tommy you had, the very first Castagnari I played?

Dunno Lester -- it's unusual for a Tommy in that it's light maple but it does have red bellows, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Still sounds fab, lovely and grunty, haven't heard a Tommy as good before or since -- I can still remember the look on the face of the girl at the bank in Recanati when I went in and asked for a million lire to buy it...

Ian

P.S. "Non possible" was the answer -- after much argument they had to ring the head branch in Milan to get authorisation, I don't think they'd ever seen a credit card before :-)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »

I know, and I've been doing business with them for 25 years. It hasn't changed much. Cash is still king!

On a more positive note, on a recent trip to Castelfidardo, I called on Signor Claudio Binci, maker of fine accordion reeds. We spent 5 minutes discussing my order and the next hour admiring his 1973 Moto Guzzi 750. At 9 o'clock the following morning, I was sitting in an ice-cream parlour (gelaterie) with Roberto Galassi, maker of fine accordion bellows. We talked about football, floods and Ducatis. Back at the factory a brief five minutes in the office dealt with the finer details of my order. Later that day I call on Signor Giustozzi who fed me strong coffee and gave me a clock.

Over in Recanati (just 12 miles away) it's a different story. Front of house, Sandro is rushed off his feet as usual, just back from taking the kids to school and ready to nip out to the Post Office, on the phone to UPS while dictating an e-mail to his secretary, "Ah Reesa" he greets me. We talk business for a good half hour.
Massimo breezes in as Sandro slips deftly out to the Post Office. (Both of their wives work upstairs in the finishing room.)
Massimo and I chat in four languages, barely understanding each other for a good half hour. I tell him that I am now making melodeons. He feigns interest. I somehow get the feeling that he doesn't feel in any way threatened.
Sandro returns and drags me hurtling around the labyrinthian production area to pick up a few spares and say a brief "Ciao" to the rest of the family. We talk business for a good half hour and he promises me the earth.
In my dreams!

All these people are good friends. They work extremely hard and produce great products.
The people at Castagnari seem to work harder than most.
www.melodeons.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal