Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useful software  (Read 6199 times)

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Useful software
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:24:42 AM »

Hi Theo, Clive

There's a lot of chat about useful bits of Open Source technology like Audacity, ABC2Navigator etc.

Can you add links for these and other useful stuff within the Links section.

Thanks

Andy

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Useful software
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:23:40 AM »

Hi Theo, Clive

There's a lot of chat about useful bits of Open Source technology like Audacity, ABC2Navigator etc.

Thanks

Andy

Happy to. Any other pieces of software that people think should be in such a list (a URL would be useful!) ?

Cheers,

Clive

PS: Content editor volunteers - I haven't forgotten about you, once I get a how-to-drive-drupal tutorial together, I'll be knocking on your door for help in doing this sort of day-to-day stuff!

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:01:36 AM »

Happy to. Any other pieces of software that people think should be in such a list (a URL would be useful!) ?

It's not open source, and I'm pretty sure that Audacity and Abc Navigator aren't either*, but the Amazing Slow Downer from Roni Music will slow down (or speed up) and/or change the pitch of copy protected audio CD's as well as MP3, AIFF, AAC/MP4 and wave files.

* Audacity and Abc Navigator are free. ASD costs $44.95, which is a lot, but being able to change the pitch of a CD so I can play along in a different key makes it worth the expense for me.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:07:33 AM »

It's not open source, and I'm pretty sure that Audacity and Abc Navigator aren't either*, but the Amazing Slow Downer from Roni Music will slow down (or speed up) and/or change the pitch of copy protected audio CD's as well as MP3, AIFF, AAC/MP4 and wave files.

* Audacity and Abc Navigator are free. ASD costs $44.95, which is a lot, but being able to change the pitch of a CD so I can play along in a different key makes it worth the expense for me.

Yep, I'm a big fan of ASD too. It's a work of genius, and definitely warrants inclusion in such a list IMHO...

Cheers,

Clive

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »

Doug/Clive

Audacity can slow down music as well, admittedly you have to take it off the CD as a wav or mp3 first, but as all my music is on my PC in iTunes it's not a problem.

Does ASD allow you to change the pitch of tunes as you can with Audacity, v useful for learning tunes recorded in non-DG keys?

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:55:49 AM »

... but the Amazing Slow Downer from Roni Music will slow down (or speed up) and/or change the pitch of copy protected audio CD's as well as MP3, AIFF, AAC/MP4 and wave files.

Isn't ASD US made? I can recommend the European made ( England) Transcribe! www.seventhstring.com Been using it for more than 3 years and it's very good.

EDIT: Before that I used the Transkriber (with 'k') for several years, which is from another manufacturer in the US. Don't mix these up, Transkriber is now a completely out of date program.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:14:44 PM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »

Audacity can slow down music as well, admittedly you have to take it off the CD as a wav or mp3 first, but as all my music is on my PC in iTunes it's not a problem.

I just downloaded Audacity, based on the recommendations here. It looks like it might do everything that I use ASD for.

Does ASD allow you to change the pitch of tunes as you can with Audacity, v useful for learning tunes recorded in non-DG keys?

Yes it does. That's what I use it for most of the time.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:37:17 PM »

Re usefull software
I am ordering software from Reed Kotler Music at the moment,they have website if anyone interested.This seems quite a good product.
Will advise when tried it
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 08:12:40 AM »

Re usefull software
I am ordering software from Reed Kotler Music at the moment,they have website if anyone interested.This seems quite a good product.
Will advise when tried it

That would be the Transcriber I mentioned below. I have the version 2.2 and I wouldn't recommend it. The sound quality is poor compared with other programs and the UI too. You can test Transcribe! www.seventhstring.com one month for free, try it instead.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:46:37 AM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 10:55:58 PM »

It's not open source, and I'm pretty sure that Audacity and Abc Navigator aren't either*

Audacity is licenced under the Gnu General Public Licence (GPL), therefore it is Free Software (note the capitals).

See this page on the Audacity website explaining this:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/license

See here for details of the Free Software movement and how it protects your rights:

http://www.fsf.org

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 02:42:21 AM »

It's not open source, and I'm pretty sure that Audacity and Abc Navigator aren't either*
Audacity is licenced under the Gnu General Public Licence (GPL), therefore it is Free Software (note the capitals).
You're right. I knew it was free software. I didn't realize that it was Free Software. It was pretty dumb of me not to have noticed that when I downloaded it, particularly in light of there being a Linux version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal