Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you still buy them  (Read 4810 times)

AirTime

Re: Would you still buy them
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »

When you look at the process of building an accordion, it is much more complex in terms of number of parts than an instrument like a violin, mandolin or guitar, but the actual "craftsmanship" - at least as it relates to sound , as opposed to finish - is more straightforward. No doubt there is artisanal "skill" involved, but it is the kind of skill that I would guess can be learned over the period of a few years, rather than over generations.

What is required is someone overlooking the whole process who is very experienced & discriminating. What Italian master accordion-maker is going to leave Castelfidardo & live in China for a few years in order to bring a Chinese factory up to Italian standards? And who's-a-gonna-breaka-his legs when he shows up back in Italy?

Hohner, because of the scale of their business have obviously already done this. I'm guessing that the volume of potential business for high-end accordions isn't sufficient to persuade someone to abandon their Italian home & traditions & take on the daunting task of setting up shop in China.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

in this picture below, are they thinking about how the reeds are going to sound just wonderful in your new, dry-tuned, italian melodeon, or are they thinking about what's for tea and whether Inter are going to win this weekend?

When I visited the Binci workshop, 10+ years back, the main topic of conversation was football. At least two of the guys were Man U supporters, I seem to remember they also had a Chelsea poster on the wall.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »

Saltarelle already outsource their lower-end boxes, don't they (albeit outsourcing within Europe)?

Saltarelle have never made a box of any description!  They are the melodeon equivalent of Draper tools.

Rob

Having been forced to study Latin and Greek rather than woodwork and metalwork, I'd appreciate an explanation of your metaphor... (we were also big on metaphors...)

Baz

who quite likes his two Salterelles...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 03:18:41 PM »

Currencies go up, currenies go down. I'm peronally accumularing euros at the present  nice 1.20+ rate to pay for my August van der Aa. Not as good as the 1.80 I got taking a lovely Parisienne to the barasserie 10 years ago, and nowhere near the wonderful rate I once got for Lire in 1992 - but it'll do.

Don't take the Brit pound for granted.  Our debt is pretty bad too and Greece may not be the only country this year with "ekonomicrisis"   :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal