Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: whitby folk week 2012  (Read 37831 times)

george garside

Re: whitby folk week 2012
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »

Hi Mike. the sessions I run at Whitby are very democratic as far as choice of tunes! I work on the following basis -- ?what shall we play next - hopefully somebody suggests something  - I then ask something on the lines of how many takers for (whatever tune it is) and if about a third of those present feel able to give it a go we play it - if only a few  takers we don't.. That way  at least a third and usually more are able to join in with each & every tune.

just in case nobody can think of anything ( and it sometimes happens) I have a crib sheet of ov 150 or so  tunes to fall back on and keep this up to date on a year by year based on what is actually played.

a few certainties are (in alphabeical order)   100 pipers, athol highlanders ,banks & brays of bonny Doone, brighton camp, ,buffalo girls.fanny power,  galopede, girl with blue dress on , jamie allen, keel row, margarets waltz, mairies wedding, michael turners waltz, off to california, oyster girl, roxburgh castle, slamon tails, winster gallop, speed the plough ,soldires joy.

all will be in either D or G

hope this helps

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »

Hi Mike. the sessions I run at Whitby are very democratic as far as choice of tunes! I work on the following basis -- ?what shall we play next - hopefully somebody suggests something  - I then ask something on the lines of how many takers for (whatever tune it is) and if about a third of those present feel able to give it a go we play it - if only a few  takers we don't.. That way  at least a third and usually more are able to join in with each & every tune.

just in case nobody can think of anything ( and it sometimes happens) I have a crib sheet of ov 150 or so  tunes to fall back on and keep this up to date on a year by year based on what is actually played.

a few certainties are (in alphabeical order)   100 pipers, athol highlanders ,banks & brays of bonny Doone, brighton camp, ,buffalo girls.fanny power,  galopede, girl with blue dress on , jamie allen, keel row, margarets waltz, mairies wedding, michael turners waltz, off to california, oyster girl, roxburgh castle, slamon tails, winster gallop, speed the plough ,soldires joy.

all will be in either D or G

hope this helps

george
Certainly does.  Gives me something to think about and prep.
Look forward to meeting you.
Mike   :||:

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »

:D the programmes are out   :D   got mine down town this morning and will be poring over it this afternoon planning the week's fun  :|||: :M :|glug
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »

The first weekend clashes with the regatta, so the town will be very full. Might be worth thinking about somewhere away from the tourist core for a session. What would be the chances of the First in Last Out, anyone have local knowledge?

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »

What would be the chances of the First in Last Out, anyone have local knowledge?

will be going to this Saturday's session so I'll see if anyone know's if the landlord's got anything planned for that weekend  (:)  :|||:

george garside

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 08:58:39 PM »

The musicians sessions  I will be running " well known tunes at a steady pace"  (suitable for any instrument capable of playing in D & G) will be from 1 to 3pm on wed and thurs in the Middle Earth.

I will be doing  "DG melodeon a Crash course for beginners"  workshops   10.00 to 11.20 am mon to thurs and an entirely separate intermediate Dg workshop on Friday 10.00 to 11.20  all in the Middle Earth.  The beginners workshops   don't require any  previous  knowledge of the instrument 

If anyone  wants to have a go on a BCC#   after the sessions on  wed/thurs I will have one with me.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2012, 07:38:09 AM »

Got the day off. Hope to get there Wednesday evening and get into the Elsinore about midday on the Thursday with me Melnet badge on  ;). If the crowd then migrate down to the docks afterwards .. likely to follow.  I tend to gravitate into the Railway in the evenings.

George - do you need demonstrators for your beginners' session?

When/where is the French Euro session please?

[edit] Still don't know "when" but if it's next door - no big problem. Anyone know why WFW is the only(?) festival who's website "programme" page .. consists of instructions to send £5 and a SAE  ???  Seems (at last) to be part of the bundle for season ticket holders, so some progress  :|glug

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:33:45 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »

In recent years the Euro session has been in the Resolution, next door to the Elsinore. Not 100% French but I hope we can keep the focus on French tunes, as they tend to be better known that some of the stuff that turns up. The danger is that a session becomes a series of individual party pieces.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »

What would be the chances of the First in Last Out, anyone have local knowledge?

(:) the bar staff hadn't heard of any sessions planned for over Regatta Weekend/Folk Week other than the usual 'Saturday Night Folk' but are going to ask the landlord   :D 
    will post when there's more info  :||: :|glug :|||:

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »

Ta.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »

In recent years the Euro session has been in the Resolution, next door to the Elsinore. Not 100% French but I hope we can keep the focus on French tunes, as they tend to be better known that some of the stuff that turns up. The danger is that a session becomes a series of individual party pieces.

Hope that  the use of Laptops are banned this year ! 
Paul
Location NE Fife

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »

How about a crib sheet of 'French tunes we will probably play in Whitby' for those of us who don't know many? It only becomes a joiney in session when most people know the tune. I know lots if Irish tunes but French music is a bit..er..'foreign' to me  :||:

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »

How about a crib sheet of 'French tunes we will probably play in Whitby' for those of us who don't know many?   :||:

(:) that's a great idea   :|||: ;D 

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »

Here are some suggestions of French tunes for those of us attending sessions in The Resolution. These are all tunes I might feel able to start in those sessions I manage to attend.

1/11 (Am Dorian)
Adieu, Les Filles de Mon Pays (G)
An Dro Nevez (Am)
Bourrée de Concours (Gm)
Le Bout du Monde (G)
Le Canal en Octobre (G)
Chassepain (D Mixolydian)
Clementine Schottische (G)
La Coccinelle (G)
La Débardeuse (D)
Derobée de Montcontour (G)
Esta's An Dro (Am)
Farandol Niçoise (G)
Galop Nantais (G/C)
Ganivelle (G)
Horse's Bransle (G/Gm)
L'Inconnu de Limoise (G)
Marche des Cabrettaires (G)
Mazurka des Ecoliers de St Genest (Em)
Mazurka d'Embrault (Gm/G)
Mazurka de Lanternaire (Dm/D)
Le Moulinet (G)
La Roulante (D)
La Roulotte (Am)
Schottische à Bethanie/Mominette (Em)
Schottische à Catinaux (G)
Schottische à Virmoux (D)
Thème Vannetais (Em)
Valse à Bonnejoie (D)

Obviously, I am not suggesting that we use all of these, but some of them might find favour and I can post sheet music for any that do.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:03:45 AM by Bob Ellis »
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 07:12:14 AM »

Any chance of doing Horse's Bransle without the ghastly medley into that  tudor english piece that spoilt its magic with stultifying inevitablity in any festival session. HB is actually a good and complex tune it self, moves nicely between G and Gm (its Bb isn't "accidental")!

Embrault is actually marked as such above, but not "poor old 'Os". HB is well worthy of development amongst a bunch of interested musicians. Just to ride my own 'Os a bit :|glug just as things are getting interesting :D some twat switches to a different tune  :-\  in this case not even a *bransle! 

*hmmm, Firefox spellchecker wants to change this to "brainless"!  ;D
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:20 AM »

I presume you are talking about Morisco, Chris. I didn't include it in my list because it ain't French!

I wasn't sure whether the Bb was accidental. Thanks for clearing that up. I have modified my post accordingly.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »

Any chance of doing Horse's Bransle without the ghastly medley into that  tudor english piece that spoilt its magic with stultifying inevitablity in any festival session. H

Assuming you mean La Morisque I think you will find it is French and can be found in L'Orchesographie de Thoinot Arbeau

X:43
T:Morisques
M:C|
L:1/8
B:L'Orchesographie de Thoinot Arbeau (Lengres, France, 1589)
F:http://graner.net/nicolas/arbeau/orcheso.abc
S:cf. http://graner.net/nicolas/arbeau/
Z:Nicolas Graner <arbeau@graner.name> Sep. 2001
K:F
cc cd c4 AF FG E2 C2 :: AF FG AF FG AF FG E2 C2 ::
c/B/c/d/ c/B/c/d/ cA/B/ c2 A/G/A/G/ F/A/G/F/ ED/E/ C2 ::
AF FG A/G/A/G/ F/E/F/G/ A/G/A/G/ F/E/F/G/ ED/E/ C2 ::

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »

We could always do:

la galop de Winster
la merdey bier de Geordie
Revels de la foret
Les knick-knacks de Davey bis
Choeur de Huntsman
Joie de soldat
Queues de salmone presque la source de la riviere

All done with a slight nasal tone and several shrugs of the shoulder

BTW - No matter what some may think, the British Isles are still part of Europe!

>:E
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »

Throwing the field wide open by calling it a 'continental' session invites music from anywhere in Europe.  I enjoyed the sessions last year, but mainly because I came away with a headful of new tunes and inspiration;  this was provided by those who played tunes I'd never heard before, and often well-played too, particularly by a lady with a concertina who's name I didn't get, by John Garner (who did play exclusively French tunes as I remember), and by The Hase Waits, who played tunes from almost everywhere in Europe.  In my turn I contributed some tunes which I carry around in my head in the apparently misjudged hope folks might enjoy listening to them, but certainly not all were French.  I'm dismayed to find such 'new' tunes described pejoratively as 'party pieces', and to learn that there's  a 'danger' of folks playing such tunes.  I'd have thought the 'danger' lay in sessions stagnating to death through lack of new input, and have, over a 50+ year period of attending sessions and the like, seen this happen many times.  If you want French music, call it a French session, and if you don't want to hear tunes other than those recorded by the folk glitterati, and thus having gained credibility, put a notice on the door listing acceptable tunes. As it was, the 'stuff that turns up' was probably all that was worth turning up for in my case!
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »

I'm with you there Frank,   I always like to hear plenty of new stuff, along with the familiar, and not just French either, Swedish, French, Danish, Estonian, Belgian .....  the more the merrier.

I only know one Belgian tune :'( , are there any more please?  8)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal