Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dogs.  (Read 8109 times)

Steve

Dogs.
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »

I have a Jack Russell and an inherited Border Terrier both of whom live in the house.  Regardless of the tune or key as soon as I start to play anywhere within earshot of the dogs, indoors or outdoors, the Border will invariably join in with a series of extended howls rapidly followed by the JR in reasonable harmony. Not only that but if my two working Labradors I have kennelled outside catch a hint of this chorus they are apt to join in too.

Unfortunately none of the dogs have shown any inclination to sing with me beyond the boundary of my property ...if they did I might have the basis for a corny novelty act  ;)

TomB-R

Re: Dogs.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:17:50 PM »

Do they do the same with recorded music? A friend's dog is okay with recordings, doesn't bother about guitar or mandolin, but start off on box, fiddle, flute, or anything that sustains, and he's howling along!
Tom

Steve

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »

No, only 'live' stuff ...except when Big Ben chimes at 6 o'clock on Radio 4, the border will pipe up a bit then.

Tattyjacket

• Good talker
    • Tattyjacket
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 06:37:40 PM »

Ian, the guy who plays for Carreg las Morris has a couple of dogs. When he plays, they howl but if anybody else plays, they don't.
Strange.....his playing isn't that bad.

Phil
Clocs Canton + Full Moon Morris

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »

I had a dog who sangalongaCoronationStreet. He sang it perfectly - every microtone which the trumpet (being fixed to a human scale of music) missed. Jelly Roll Morton said it was the gaps between the notes which make music - he sounded aweful atrocious, God bless his little soul!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:35:17 PM »

I had a dog who sangalongaCoronationStreet. He sang it perfectly - every microtone which the trumpet (being fixed to a human scale of music) missed. Jelly Roll Morton said it was the gaps between the notes which make music - he sounded aweful atrocious, God bless his little soul!

Jelly Roll Morton or the dog?

:P

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »

I well remember when so9me friends had a Labrador (a brood bitch for the Guide Dog Association) which had a new litter.  The puppies were on the verge of opening their eyes.

When I played the tin whistle in the same room (it was in the days before my melodeon playing), one of the puppies wobbled up to a sitting position, held up it's head and started to howl, followed by the other half dozen puppies.  Unfortunately I couldn't keep playing long through laughing  :-)

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:54:09 AM »

My brother in law used to play the melodeon but his family, with one voice, consigned him to the garage to practice, and so he changed to the mouth organ. He also has some sort of terrier which responds to his mouth organ playing by howling with a strange up and down the scale yelp, a bit like a trombone glissando. We were in Scotland recently for a family get together, where I heard this unusual performance. Strangely, the dog did not respond in any way to me when I played the BCC# Casali, which is my current obsession. Are dogs a perceptive critics?
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 11:49:02 AM »

Our (now)18 year old cross border collie George used to join in music sessions at our music pubs The Harlequin and later The Red House in Sheffield.  I have a recording of the Wednesday night South Riding tune sessions led by Paul Davenport on which he is perfectly in pitch in G ( more so than a lot of the musicians!). If it was boring he'd let out loud yawns which expressed what listeners were too polite to do.
Top Dog!!

I did hear a programme where a guy said his dogs only howled when Coronation Street came on, the vet said it was probably because it was the only time all the family sat down together and it was a sort of pack gathering call.
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

finnhorse

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »

I have two cats, who promptly leave the room (ears sharply back-turned) when I start to play, and one smart alec parakeet who is a glutton for any type of discordant or cacophonous noise: Jimi Hendrix, lawnmowers, loud sports broadcasts, Stockhausen, etc.  Once he gets going, he chirrups and chatters for the better part of an hour.

A friend, Ido, once had a red bulldog who would cry and whine and yowl if anyone blew on a harmonica.  Incidentally, Clifford (the dog) would sing and yowl much the same way if he smelled gin..

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »

My husband is a wind instrument player, and his saxaphone and bagpipes both set our spaniel off howling, but not as much as the oboe he aquired yesterday did! The dog has been known to howl at my hurdy gurdy too, but when I play melodeon he always insists on coming into the room with me and settling down quietly to keep me company!

Pauline
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »

My parents have a greyhound, who is absolutely terrified of my melodeon. She's fascinated - coming in to have a sniff of it, then turning tail and running as soon as it makes a noise, even just opening the bellows!

meltzer

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »

Last time I took my concertina to a session, a Jack Russell fell asleep on the floor by my feet, and the landlord's dog p***ed against the case. Make of that what you will.  ;D

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 03:44:46 AM »

I have two cats, who promptly leave the room (ears sharply back-turned) when I start to play, and one smart alec parakeet who is a glutton for any type of discordant or cacophonous noise: Jimi Hendrix, lawnmowers, loud sports broadcasts, Stockhausen, etc.  Once he gets going, he chirrups and chatters for the better part of an hour.
I also have two cats who when I first introduced them to the melodeon, would listen politely for a while and then discreetly leave the room. I dont know if my playing has got worse, but I have only to pick up the instrument now and they are gone without a backward glance.

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

My dog, who loves singing, guitar, bouzouki,  flute, whistle, piano, harp and any of the other instruments my wife and I play between us, demands to leave the room the moment I get a box out of its case.  He's better with the Liliput than the big Hohner Clubs and positively hates the italian Verde Kerry.  Mind you he hates the vacuum cleaner too, maybe can't tell the difference between me trying to play Playford dances and trying to hoover up his molting hair.

Years ago I used to sing in an eight voice choir which met in a village vicarage to practice.  One session we kept accusing the tenors of singing out of tune and time until we realised it was the resident dog howling just slightly flat!

Nick
Nick

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »

Careful, or Careg Las may not have a box player!  In fact Ian is very good and the most self-deprecating player I've ever met.
In case he's on the forum - It's some years now since the bass strap on my box failed to accommodate his generously sized hand.  The repair took nearly ten minutes and would have happened soon enough anyway.  Hope to bump into you again sometime even though Basingclog no longer trek to LLanyrtydd for the weekend (they say they're getting too old!).

Rob.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 08:46:20 PM »

last time I took my concertina to a session, a Jack Russell fell asleep on the floor by my feet, and the landlord's dog p***ed against the case. Make of that what you will.

Better that than the concertina getting p***ed on - unless of course its an Anglo! ;D

Pete of Ebor

• Now I remember why I took up Melodeon...
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »

My friend Sharon has a Jack Russel called 'Toby' , and he sings when I play the box, but oddly, he only seems to do it to Walter Bulwer's Nos 1 & 2 and The Quaker...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsH9zD0NH8 - hope this link thingy works !
Never put off 'till tomorrow, what you can do today - 'cos if you like it today, you can do it again tomorrow !

Steve

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »

My friend Sharon has a Jack Russel called 'Toby' , and he sings when I play the box, but oddly, he only seems to do it to Walter Bulwer's Nos 1 & 2 and The Quaker...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsH9zD0NH8 - hope this link thingy works !

Thingy works fine - that's just like ours, I'll try and capture them doing it a bit later.

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »

my cat has perfected the pained look, the covering of the ears, the "OH not that b*****y thing again" look, and the slow disgusted retreat with tail lashing  ::)

she just about deigns to stay in the room if I play my recorder  :-\

and so far has taken no notice of the violin which I am in 5th week of learning  :o

when my Westie was with me she used to howl away whenever I sang - quite understandable if you ever heard me sing !!! haha  ;D

when my son lived at home he used to banish me to the garage

I guess I must have a very understanding husband, is all I can say!!
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal