Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing C/F pre-war Hohner to D/G  (Read 2793 times)

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
Changing C/F pre-war Hohner to D/G
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »

I have a lovely old pre-war C/F Erika which I would really like to get changed to D/G.

I have spoken to Theo about this but I'm still undecided whether to have the original reeds moved and tuned where necessary or to go for a new Italian set.

Being a Hohner player my gut feeling tells me I should stick with the original reeds, as changing to an Italian set is going to drastically alter the Hohner character.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these options?

Martyn
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

rileycat

• Respected Sage
Re: Changing C/F pre-war Hohner to D/G
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »

:)Hi Martyn
I have one of Theo's Italian reeded 21/2 row D/G Erika's. Its really lovely - still mellow, but very responsive and as a D/G its great - like a camouflaged Saltarelle, especially with Theo's mods to the treble action. I play it in sessions, as it doesn't dominate and is pretty "fast" if needed + it appeals to my "retro style" nature! However............... ,at present, Pete Coe is staying with me (sorry to be a name-dropper, but there's a point to this) and he, as you may know, plays and advocates Hohner reeded boxes of this type. Having his three here for me to play and to listening to him playing, I know I would choose the Hohner reeds (older type) every time!!!! Of course, the choice is entirely personal, but you can't beat "The Sound of Hohner" in my books!
Hope this helps
Tony  ???

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:30:10 PM »

Thanks for that info Tony.

I was talking to Pete Coe only last week at a friends birthday party and he was saying then that he would go for Hohner reeds without question, so I think my decision is made. Just need to sell a couple of boxes now to boost up the melodeon fund. ;)

Martyn
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:34:50 PM by martyn »
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

waltzman

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:19:33 AM »

Can the same reeds be rearranged and retuned from  a 2 1/2 row C/F to D/G?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »

Can the same reeds be rearranged and retuned from  a 2 1/2 row C/F to D/G?

I frequently do this sort of conversion.  By re-arranging the reeds from a C/F its possible to minimise the amount of retuning of individual reed tongues.  Because D/G is overall a tone higher than C/F I usually find I have to use new reeds for 2 or 3 of the highest notes.  Partly for this reason I usually suggest to clients that they consider having the D/G layout with the scale starting on the 4th button, which has the added advantage of gaining some useful low notes and loosing some squeaky high ones.

It costs about the same to convert the old reeds, or fit new ones, so the choice comes down to what sound you like. Pete Coe likes the sound of old Hohner reeds, others like the sound of new reeds. You should make your own choice on this based on your own personal preference.  Other points to consider are:  -  old Hohner reeds have a softer more mellow sound than modern ones,  Italian reeds are less prone to break than Hohner reeds.  Whichever type you choose you still have a choice of how much or little tremolo you want.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:43:36 AM »

I play two early ericas, D/G and C#/D, they have italian reeds in them. I do like he sound of the original reeds, but for the amount of abuse my boxes get, I decided a brand new set of italian reeds would be a better option for me.

Plus this leaves me with two pare sets of hohner reeds to learn how to tune on. Which I have started to do. Long learning process...
Faversham, Kent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal