Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon - mastering the art with John Spiers  (Read 6311 times)

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
Melodeon - mastering the art with John Spiers
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »

Hello
I was wondering what level this dvd was aimed at.  The explanation http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3864 says it is a filmed masterclass. Would you recommend it? I like the way John Spiers plays and would be quite interested in learning tips and tricks. But as I play a GC I'm not that interested in slow motion showing where to find the right note kind of thing. And as it is quite a lot of money I'm hesitating. Has anyone seen it?
Thx!!
BB

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Melodeon - mastering the art with John Spiers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

If you want videos I trust you have picked up on the recent (free) Pignol/Milleret vidéos pédagogiques  They won't help you play like Spiers, and are in French* ..  but they are G/C based
*Budgie's posts suggest (s)he lives in Belgium, may not matter?
  _       _    _      _ 

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »

If you want videos I trust you have picked up on the recent (free) Pignol/Milleret vidéos pédagogiques  They won't help you play like Spiers, and are in French* ..  but they are G/C based
*Budgie's posts suggest (s)he lives in Belgium, may not matter?

Thx! You're totally right. Actually those P/M videos should be quite enough to keep me happy for quite a while. But...there's something I really like about Spiers-style playing. And I don't know what it is.

**Yes, I'm Belgian, my French is dodgy but functional (I'm from the Flemish part) and a she (unlike the budgie in my avatar).

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »

No, I haven't seen it (yet).  John is an all round nice guy though, and while working in The Music Room he would pick up a box and join in with anyone without any showing off - he just enjoys playing.  I can't imagine anything he offered would be a waste of time or money.

Rob.

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:52:44 AM »

Hi BB, I've got a copy. It's definitely a tips and tricks kind of thing. I'm a G/C player too and found it worthwhile. Mr Spiers has aclear and relaxed teaching style and in the video has a 'student' he teaches which helps to make the ideas easier to understand.  I can imagine going back to it time and again as my playing improves and I understand more.  Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »

I have a copy, somewhere, that I will part with for £10 + p&p

Sold
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:30:18 AM by Lester »

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »

I have a copy, somewhere, that I will part with for £10 + p&p

Sold

Haha, "life is for the fast", we say in Flanders. I'll need to wake up more quickly on an Easter Sunday. Happy Easter to everyone  (:)

Hi BB, I've got a copy. It's definitely a tips and tricks kind of thing. I'm a G/C player too and found it worthwhile. Mr Spiers has aclear and relaxed teaching style and in the video has a 'student' he teaches which helps to make the ideas easier to understand.  I can imagine going back to it time and again as my playing improves and I understand more.  Bob.
Thanks for the info! I feel very tempted to buy it :)

Davy R

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »

Mr Spiers has aclear and relaxed teaching style and in the video has a 'student' he teaches which helps to make the ideas easier to understand.

Who, I think I'm correct in saying, is Val Huzzard of Boggarts Breakfast Border Morris!
Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G
Hohner HA 114 in C

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »

The student is , I believe , Val's daughter , Lucy.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Davy R

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

Yes, quite right - getting mothers and daughters mixed up!  ;)
Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G
Hohner HA 114 in C

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:34:57 AM »

Hello - it's me!

Basically the DVD is exactly that - a filmed masterclass.  It isn't a step-by-step instruction guide on how to play the instrument (or any particular tune for that matter).  Instead it uses some simple melodies that hopefully are easy for people to get a handle on to explain more complex techniques.

I knew full well that Lucy was able to handle most of what I am teaching on the DVD with ease having taught her before - she is a magnificent player!  Thankfully that allows me to cram in far more ideas and techniques than I ever would be able to in a straightforward workshop that was the duration of the DVD.  I also expected anyone using it as a teaching aid to pause and rewind many times to allow them to practice a single technique without wasting too much space on the DVD itself.

It's not aimed at absolute beginners - it's more aimed towards someone who has got the basics and has a repertoire of something like 15-20 tunes under their belt and would like to have a go at expanding the possibilities of the instrument.

I hope it can be of some help to people - it's by no means definitive!  When I was learning I had to experiment and guess (which I still think is a very healthy way to approach an instrument) or listen repeatedly to CDs, watch players intently in sessions and ask lots of very irritating questions in sessions for many years.  I hope some of that might be distilled in to an easier resource in this recording for people that might be interested enough to buy it.

Cheers

Squeezy
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »

Hello - it's me!  I hope some of that might be distilled in to an easier resource in this recording for people that might be interested enough to buy it.
Squeezy
:) I have the feeling God just popped down from the rafters to answer my questions!!  8) Thank you so much for your reply, I really feel curious and interested now and have just ordered it and am looking forward to watching it as I'm as eager for tips and tricks as a border collie!

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »

I don't have much to do with English music--my old recordings basically limited to John Kirkpatrick--but I have a number of recordings of Spiers and Boden and Bellowhead. Squeezy's seems to me that kind of playing that takes a listener beyond any prejudices about the style or instrument. His participation on this forum just adds to my appreciation of all he has done for the instrument.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »

I love the video  8) thx soooo much!!!! The added challenge of course is to listen to it until I have memorized it and then try it on my GC :))) I certainly need to watch this twenty more times :))

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »

It's not aimed at absolute beginners - it's more aimed towards someone who has got the basics and has a repertoire of something like 15-20 tunes under their belt and would like to have a go at expanding the possibilities of the instrument.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I got a copy of this DVD for Xmas and it's great, just what I needed at this stage. I've been playing for almost a year and this DVD has some challenging stuff, but I can now see myself tackling these techniques whereas if I'd seen it even a few months ago it would have freaked me out I think.
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 09:29:24 PM »

... I can now see myself tackling these techniques whereas if I'd seen it even a few months ago it would have freaked me out I think.

I was you not that long ago. It's a great DVD.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal