Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: busking for beginers!  (Read 9605 times)

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
Re: busking for beginers!
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »

Very much a different ball game,  and in most if not all places is illegal without a traders licence - it turns busking into trading - which is nearly always a controlled activity

So when was busking not a trade? 
You offer a service (of sorts)?  You in essence ask for money for it  ???

Or is busking a form of 'begging'?

Trading is the selling of tangible goods  -  so trying to sell copies of your cd (which are tangible) whilst busking is deemed to be trading and as such requires consent (licence) which a local authority may charge for.   Asking people to put money in your hat/box is begging - which may be illegal  -   playing music in a public place and as a byproduct of that activity having people throw money at you, and it landing in your hat / case is quite acceptable unless a local authority has decided otherwise (which a few have)
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

JonathanC

• Jonathan Causebrook Music Page
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »

Went busking with the melodeon for the first time yesterday and had several contributions.
One little girl and her mum even came back 20 mins later and put this in my case …
"Have squeeze box, will travel"  - Office job is killing me!

Davy R

• Good talker
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »

Went busking with the melodeon for the first time yesterday and had several contributions.
One little girl and her mum even came back 20 mins later and put this in my case …

She forgot to enter an amount next to the £ sign - does that mean you have a blank cheque?  :D

As an aside, when Laurie Lee was busking with his violin in the Spain of the 1930s, he found that the faster he played, the faster passers-by passed by (leaving no money in his case). When he slowed down what he was playing, people walked more slowly and gave more. Worth a try?
Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G
Hohner HA 114 in C

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

[ Laurie Lee was busking with his violin in the Spain of the 1930s, he found that the faster he played, the faster passers-by passed by (leaving no money in his case). When he slowed down what he was playing, people walked more slowly and gave more.

Years ago the Ironmen and Severn Gilders were invited to tour the Basque Country. One day, having a couple of hours free between pelota halls some of the band decided to go busking.  We ended up with less in the hat (beret, actually) than we started with.  I'm still trying to work out how:-))

Glad you did better than that Tom (:)

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

Very much a different ball game,  and in most if not all places is illegal without a traders licence - it turns busking into trading - which is nearly always a controlled activity

So when was busking not a trade? 
You offer a service (of sorts)?  You in essence ask for money for it  ???

Or is busking a form of 'begging'?

Trading is the selling of tangible goods  -  so trying to sell copies of your cd (which are tangible) whilst busking is deemed to be trading and as such requires consent (licence) which a local authority may charge for.   Asking people to put money in your hat/box is begging - which may be illegal  -   playing music in a public place and as a byproduct of that activity having people throw money at you, and it landing in your hat / case is quite acceptable unless a local authority has decided otherwise (which a few have)

No it's not defined as trading. It is the playing of incidental music for tips and is quite legal and NOT begging or trading in any way shape or form.

The reasons that (some!) local authorities use licences is their own decision. If you wish to busk on someones land then you need their permission. This is at the root of many licensing schemes. However, some local authorities are wont to overstep their authority in what they try to control, and some have particular byelaws that control activities.

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »

Aw, that's sweet. I've had all sorts of little notes and cards left in the case over the years (nice ones!).

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »

Also might consider:

Trying out a little head nod or bow or other sign (don't stop playing) when you get a contribution

If it fits your personality, a little bit of a "costume" can be good, even if just a neat hat, funny tie or vest, etc.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »

Years ago the Ironmen and Severn Gilders were invited to tour the Basque Country. One day, having a couple of hours free between pelota halls some of the band decided to go busking.  We ended up with less in the hat (beret, actually) than we started with.  I'm still trying to work out how:-))
Baz
You could have put a sign: "we'll stop playing when we have a beret full of cash"...
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »

Also might consider:

Trying out a little head nod or bow or other sign (don't stop playing) when you get a contribution

If it fits your personality, a little bit of a "costume" can be good, even if just a neat hat, funny tie or vest, etc.

However, you'll find a surprising number of people listen from afar and then do a "hit and run" approach to contributing. You might say something, nod your head, smile or whatever, but they studiously do not catch your eye or even look at you.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »

Andrew, you are right, especially adults.

But best guy I ever saw doing this had a bird whistle English concertina.

But, often when kids ask Dad for some change, they stay around to see what you do and if you show them a nice gesture, often other kids will also ask Dad for some change to get the same.

Not sure if this holds everywhere, but kids with "Dads" are better than kid's with "Moms".
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Myrrh Music

• Regular debater
  • Wandering Brummie
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »

Oh well,I had a go at busking today at a local Farmers' Market. collecting on behalf of the Animal Rescue I help at - made the princely sum of 13 Euros 60 cents in 2 hours....I've been  learning from books and videos for about a year on my Hohner Liliput - maybe I need a teacher after all! I'm sure, as I started, I lip read someone opposite, saying I wasn't very good, and someone else said "got to learn" Not a good start- God knows what I would have made without the Animal Rescue notice:(  Back to the drawing board for a while I think

Mary

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

Andrew, you are right, especially adults.

But best guy I ever saw doing this had a bird whistle English concertina.

But, often when kids ask Dad for some change, they stay around to see what you do and if you show them a nice gesture, often other kids will also ask Dad for some change to get the same.

Not sure if this holds everywhere, but kids with "Dads" are better than kid's with "Moms".

Hah, I meant to look out for that today!  (the Mums and Dads thing).

I can't say that I've ever noticed, but as I say, I've never looked out for it.

Daftest thing ever on the "thankyou" front was some youngster who walked by with his mates and dropped a penny in, he did look at me and caught my eye and I nodded at him whilst I was playing. He walked on and then turned round and demanded to know why I hadn't stopped playing the tin whistle to say thankyou!

::)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:02:16 PM by Andrew Wigglesworth »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal