Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 173733 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Beginners Showcase!
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »

Welcome,
Are you a beginner?
Have you been playing for a short while but don't feel brave enough to join in the TOTM?
Well here is the place for you!
This is a safe area. No flaming. No arguments. Just encouragement. Post your first video and receive helpful hints tips and comments (hopefully).

Just pick any TOTM (tune of the month) from our archive (see list below) that you feel you can achieve. Post a link to the video or audio as a reply to this thread. Don't forget to mark it 'Beginners Showcase' along with the title of the TOTM you are playing (and if you want to how long you have been playing).

If you want tips on recording you can find them here
   October 2009      Speed the Plough   
   November 2009      L'Inconnu d'Limoise    
   December 2009      Princess Royal   
   January 2010      Ashokan Farewell   
   February 2010      Orange in Bloom/Sherbourne Waltz   
   March 2010      The Plane Tree/Schottische a Bethanie      
   April 2010      Battle of the Somme   
   May 2010      Michael Turner's Waltz   
   June 2010      Rusty Gully   
   July 2010      Cock of the North   
   August 2010      Nutting Girl   
   September 2010      Liberty Bell   
   October 2010      Canal in October   
   November 2010      Steamboat Hornpipe   
   December 2010              Moon and Seven Stars   
   January 2011      La Marianne   
   February 2011      Dark Girl Dressed in Blue   
   March 2011      The Cheshire Waltz   
   April 2011      La Roulante/LNB Polka   
   May 2011      Ash Grove   
   June 2011      Lemmy Brazil No. 2   
   July 2011      Three Around Three   
   August 2011      Brighton Camp   
   September 2011      Oh! Joe the Boat is Going Over   
   October 2011      The Sloe   
   November 2011      Beatrice Hill's Three Handed Reel   
   December 2011      Inna Inna   
   January 2012      Bear Dance   
   February 2012      Rabbit Stew   
   March 2012      Idbury Hill   
   April 2012      Planxty Irwin   
   May 2012      Molly Oxford   
   June 2012      Galopede   
   July 2012      Lemonville Jig   

Last updated: 10/7/2012
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:19:18 AM by ladydetemps »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »

To show how its done and that there's nothing embarrassing about a first post of a TOTM. Here is mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qNOyglPhM
Speed the Plough - playing time 8 months
(its an old video...)

myhuckleberryfriend

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »

Brilliant idea!

No I've no excuse for being shy .....
Hohner Pokerwork, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe

chouston14

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »

I'm a fairly new beginner, 5 weeks. I agree this is a great idea. Now I just need to figure out how to record myself and of course learn to play one of these tunes.
Beltuna Sara 3 G/C

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »

Thanks LDT, this is a great idea  (:).  I have been meaning to do a TOTM for a while, but when I attempted it then listened back to my playing it was so excruciating :|bl that I couldn't bring myself to post...must just get on with it now...
(And it has been most encouraging watching your own progress and seeing the huge improvements you've made in your playing :|||: - great stuff)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

Thanks everyone. Look forward to seeing your videos.

bellmartin

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »

What if several of us chose a tune and learned it at the same time, sharing thoughts, experiences, problems, victories...Would anyone be interested in doing that?

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »

http://soundcloud.com/i-k-3/sounds-from-sunday-afternoon

This is horrible, I was surprised how intimidating it was to press record and how much that made my bellows move in the wrong direction.  But if I don't post now I never will get started and there never seems to be a moment.  I'll take this down if I do something better, this is proper beginner's stuff.

Valzer spensierato, on the Tunes from Italy theme of the month, on a Giustozzi 2 bass 1.5 row, great instrument for doing what it does.  I got the tune from a recording by Nicola Melideo but I have got the feeling it didn't go like that.

Not sure how to rename the tune on SoundCloud.

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »

http://soundcloud.com/i-k-3/sounds-from-sunday-afternoon

This is horrible, I was surprised how intimidating it was to press record and how much that made my bellows move in the wrong direction.  But if I don't post now I never will get started and there never seems to be a moment.  I'll take this down if I do something better, this is proper beginner's stuff.

Valzer spensierato, on the Tunes from Italy theme of the month, on a Giustozzi 2 bass 1.5 row, great instrument for doing what it does.  I got the tune from a recording by Nicola Melideo but I have got the feeling it didn't go like that.

Not sure how to rename the tune on SoundCloud.

Bravo!  I don't know the original tune, but this sounds great - played with real gusto, and great rhythm - well done!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »

I.K.

That as fine a beginners rendition as I have heard, in fact if you had not posted the

bit I would hot have put it in the beginners pigeon hole at all.

Keep up the good work

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »

I.K.

That as fine a beginners rendition as I have heard, in fact if you had not posted the

bit I would hot have put it in the beginners pigeon hole at all.

Keep up the good work

Wot 'e said.

TOTM candidate for sure.

Chas

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »

Valzer spensierato, on the Tunes from Italy theme of the month, on a Giustozzi 2 bass 1.5 row

It's a pretty little tune. I wonder where you had it from. I have at least two different Italian waltzes with the title Carefree (spensierato) and also a mazurca, but non match yours.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »

Thank you for the encouragement everybody, much appreciated, I will try to sort the problems with flow and post to the proper place.

Now then -

"It's a pretty little tune. I wonder where you had it from."

Mike, you have got me bang to rights.  You certainly know your stuff.  I learn these things, after a fashion, then don't go back to the recordings, so I went back and checked, and what has happened is this:  Half of the A section is more or less what Nicola Melideo plays on the recording.  The other half of the A section is a failed attempt to play what Nicola Melideo plays on the recording, but what he plays is probably too hard for me at the moment, and I clearly haven't memorised it correctly anyway, and then what I have recorded includes lots of places where I am recovering myself from hitting a note that wasn't the one I planned to hit, so it's not really what Mr Melideo plays on the recording at all.  And then the B section, now you mention it... I made it up, which I had sort of forgotten about.  And it's probably not that in keeping with the style.  On the recording he drops the tune down a third to provide a B section.  So, it should probably be in "Tunes that are at least 30% from Italy" section of Tune of the Month.  I have changed the name on soundcloud in honour of a good friend of mine.

bellmartin

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

Great job, I.K.!

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »

Thank you for the encouragement everybody, much appreciated, I will try to sort the problems with flow and post to the proper place.

Now then -

"It's a pretty little tune. I wonder where you had it from."

Mike, you have got me bang to rights.  You certainly know your stuff.  I learn these things, after a fashion, then don't go back to the recordings, so I went back and checked, and what has happened is this:  Half of the A section is more or less what Nicola Melideo plays on the recording.  The other half of the A section is a failed attempt to play what Nicola Melideo plays on the recording, but what he plays is probably too hard for me at the moment, and I clearly haven't memorised it correctly anyway, and then what I have recorded includes lots of places where I am recovering myself from hitting a note that wasn't the one I planned to hit, so it's not really what Mr Melideo plays on the recording at all.  And then the B section, now you mention it... I made it up, which I had sort of forgotten about.  And it's probably not that in keeping with the style.  On the recording he drops the tune down a third to provide a B section.  So, it should probably be in "Tunes that are at least 30% from Italy" section of Tune of the Month.  I have changed the name on soundcloud in honour of a good friend of mine.

Nothing wrong with making it up. Keep up the good work. ATB. Mike.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 12:11:24 AM »

Here goes…an attempt at Princess Royal (apologies in advance to those with sensitive ears):
http://youtu.be/vnhRdppHphc

A bit dark too – not an attempt to go incognito as did have all the lights on (tried the Youtube lighting fix but rather alarming).

Started learning in September on a Hohner Morgane D/G but this is on my Pressed Wood C/F that I acquired (!) recently as, even though it needs some work, I really like the more mellow sound.  Have been reading through a mountain of useful info on the forum and I think the first step is to replace the bellows gaskets, then on to replacing pallet facings and limiting treble button travel.

I am glad though that I started with the new Morgane as at least then I knew what came out was due to my lack of skill, rather than difficulties due to an older instrument – but compared to the Pressed Wood the Morgane does sound a bit ‘bright’, although I am sure a good player would have the control and expertise needed to produce a sweeter sound - a work in progress (:).

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 04:35:35 AM »

Thank you for your very kind comments I.K. (:)

This is turning out to be a bit like how I imagine an AA meeting might go - "Hi, I'm Spikey, this is my first TOTM post.  I am learning to play the melodeon and this is what it sounds like so far..." ;D

But good to get the first one out of the way :Ph, and have got all the recording and Youtube stuff (sort of) worked out.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:25:28 AM »

Here goes…an attempt at Princess Royal (apologies in advance to those with sensitive ears):

Another perfectly good rendition of PR. For a 6 month player that is very good, fancy three fingered bass playing (which I still cant get the hang of  :'( ) and some cross rowing if I can see through the gloom; what's not to like  ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »

I'd never have thought you were a beginner. I like it when princess royal isn't played at rocket speed, that way you can hear the tune.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal