Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 173757 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »

Fancy having a crack at TOTM for May?

Hmm - just had a quick go - it's not ready...  b*ggered me up for playing it on the concertina, though  :(
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »

Totm for May seems like a killer to me! It's a nice tune but I simply can't find it on the melodeon. At least not in any way that is playable. I love it on the concertina though.

Here is me playing it that may (or may not) help

http://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/tune-149-young-collins-bledington.html

Your recording may help, actually it looks very simple and easy. Right now I can't remember what the problem was mainly, but I'll study yours and see what I can do! Thanks  ;)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:58 PM »

My new Serafini R2d2 arrived on Friday - here it is for a couple of Delicq tunes. I am thinking of adding a review of the whole buying experience and of course my thoughts about the instrument if there is an appetite for it. I have now been playing for 3 and a half months, and am still enjoying the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUa-akK8bHE
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »

Box sounds lovely, and some great playing too. 

goon-heaven

• nul
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »

Thanks for your video, playandteach!

I am lurking on the brink of picking up a box and learning to play. I am impressed by the fluency of your playing after just 3 months - encouragement for me to commence.

The Serafini sounds sweet. Good to hear it played by someone other than the video I keep playing on their website. I am very interested to learn more about your thoughts on the box.

I think to start by hiring a Morgane from M. Loffet down the road, until I am happy with the noises I get to produce. Otherwise, if I had to buy, I would be very attracted to the Serafini... I may well still be after a few months of squeezing and looking to acquire.

Thanks
Steve

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »

playandteach:
Wow the box sounds nice! and that's nice playing too after such a little time.
I saw you asked about sheet music in a previous post - where did you get the Delicq tunes music from?
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »

I got some from a French site where members happily shared - I'm not still registered with them as the navigation of the site was too hard for my French.
I'll happily send you what I've got - is conventional notation ok? Some tunes I've notated myself (for example sous les toits de la rue Tiquetonne).
I've got a youtube channel of me learning and sharing the piano accordion and every upload has a link to the sheet music of the relevant song, so that might be a place to start.
http://www.youtube.com/user/playandteach

Otherwise you could email me or PM me with a request and I'll have a look through my slowly growing set of tunes.
Thanks for the supportive feedback.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »

Hello Steve the Gooner - you can't go far wrong with a Morgane as a starter box.  Very good value box.  One thing I would say is that you have low notes rather than accidentals, which is okay at first but you will find you will be wanting another box for those strange tunes like Bluebell Polka that go off the beaten track a bit.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

goon-heaven

• nul
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Strigulino.

Duh, I dont know if I want lows or accidents. I am obsessed with breton dancing and I intend learning to play the Fest-Noz tunes burnt into my duty-neuron within the foreseeable. That would include a few polkas - but I've not heard Bluebell Polka played around these parts, yet.

I will inquire whether I need accidentals, lows, or both boxes. 

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »

You can get boxes with both.  The Morgane's big siblings the Merlin and the Galaad have 2.5 and 3 rows respectively, which gets you more notes.  I think the Merlin basically has low notes in the main rows and a half row of accidentals.

But again, as has been said, you won't know what you need until you've been playing a while.  Most of us end up getting a few boxes because there is no one box that is perfect for everything. 

If you've got your heart set on Breton, I'd advise going off to YouTube for a bit of window shopping.  Find someone playing a tune you like on a box you like the sound of, and ask someone on here what it is.  :D 

Don't know much of Breton myself, but I think boxes like the Morgane/Merlin/Galaad were pretty much designed for that kind of music, hence the French-spelled Arthurian names.  We are off-topic here, so perhaps what will happen is that a mod will come along and split this into some kind of "new player wants advice on which box to buy for Breton" thread.  :D

/edit - I'm wrong, the Merlin is 2 rows with a couple of extra buttons, and the Galaad is more a proper 2.5 row.  But they are certainly instruments designed for French/Breton music, according to Hohner's website anyway.  I'm sure M. Loffet can help you choose.  :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:45:51 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

goon-heaven

• nul
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »

Ah, yes, thanks for pointing out Morganes big brothers. I'd forgotten the Arthurian link.

Lately I've been concentrating on listening and identifying the different boxes and playing styles whilst dancing at fest-nozs, a change from the trance I usually drift into.

I liked the sound of playandteach's R2D2 video, so was voicing my appetite to learn more, which I guess brings us back on topic.

Thanks for your input Strig.

AirTime

« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »

My new Serafini R2d2 arrived on Friday - here it is for a couple of Delicq tunes. I am thinking of adding a review of the whole buying experience and of course my thoughts about the instrument if there is an appetite for it. I have now been playing for 3 and a half months, and am still enjoying the process.

The Serafini sounds wonderful & it's inspired me to pick up my GC Morgane & try to learn those Delicq tunes (using your PA tutorial).

I notice very large "feet" on the Serafini! Also, there doesn't seem to be any kind of a logo visible - is there anything identifying it as a Serafini?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

playandteach

« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »

The very large feet are just drawer knobs I had to put on (carefully keeping the same screws and screw depth) because the plastic ones it came with don't touch down astride the thick left hand strap - so it was at risk of toppling off the piano. I could get away with feet 5mm shorter but will eventually get some turned out of walnut.

There is absolutely no logo or maker's mark anywhere - I hadn't thought of that. It is clearly the same grill, buttons etc as on his website. Of course as I bought it directly from him, there's no worry about identity - I'll just make sure to keep the receipt.
I've just emailed a whole bunch of music to Thrupenny Bit (as far as I'm aware these are freely given transcriptions - not photocopies so I'd be happy to pass more on to you if that's helpful). I'd welcome a moderator's input if they think there's any reason not to circulate these - but to me I think they are honestly created and legal.

AirTime

« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »

There is absolutely no logo or maker's mark anywhere - I hadn't thought of that. It is clearly the same grill, buttons etc as on his website. Of course as I bought it directly from him, there's no worry about identity

I'm not questioning the provenance! Just though it odd that Serafini wouldn't advertise his product.

I've just emailed a whole bunch of music to Thrupenny Bit (as far as I'm aware these are freely given transcriptions - not photocopies so I'd be happy to pass more on to you if that's helpful)

I learn completely by ear, I afraid, so the transcripts wouldn't be that useful to me.  :-[
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »

Decided to post it here too. TOTM May 2013.

http://youtu.be/8ql6RJFUKIk

skyflyer

« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »

hmmm... I'm sure the intention of this thread was to encourage beginners but I have to be honest and say I find it a little demoralising  (:)

The trouble is, it would seem that many people who have posted videos here, although new to the melodeon are certainly not new to other musical instruments and thus are picking things up much quicker than a complete novice.  Or have I missed something?

Three weeks into learning, having never played any musical instrument (not even the apocryphal school recorder!) and only able to practice maybe 3 or 4 hours a week, I am nowhere near ready to post my efforts on here! In fact I have yet to learn a complete tune  ;D

How about another thread for COMPLETE beginners, rather than those new only to the melodeon?

Hohner Pokerwork D/G
Started learning July 2013

playandteach

« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »

I try not to compare myself to others, but just to measure the amount of progress I've made. My problem with taking up new instruments is getting past the first plateau, and forcing myself to make uploads has been a good discipline. I'm grateful for the beginners' showcase thread as there is a clear understanding that people posting their clips are not trying to impress. On the other hand I expect nobody posts a performance where they haven't tried their best.

I've now moved on to Tune of the Month and feel more hesitant there as I think the aim of that thread is to hear different interpretations, and as yet I'm not able to add much more than a straightforward attempt; I have none of the instincts on the melodeon that would make my version original.

I am guilty of having previously played other instruments, but whilst that makes getting going a lot quicker, it is very possibly more intimidating as I am more alert to my own short-comings. I know the uploads I've done show lack of bellows understanding, and a lack of poise (and rhythmic control).

I'm more than happy to remove previous uploads here, as they have served my purpose and I certainly don't want to put anyone off. I'm sure you'll find encouragement (and advice if wanted) when you do post a piece.

skyflyer

« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

I try not to compare myself to others, but just to measure the amount of progress I've made. My problem with taking up new instruments is getting past the first plateau, and forcing myself to make uploads has been a good discipline. I'm grateful for the beginners' showcase thread as there is a clear understanding that people posting their clips are not trying to impress. On the other hand I expect nobody posts a performance where they haven't tried their best.

I've now moved on to Tune of the Month and feel more hesitant there as I think the aim of that thread is to hear different interpretations, and as yet I'm not able to add much more than a straightforward attempt; I have none of the instincts on the melodeon that would make my version original.

I am guilty of having previously played other instruments, but whilst that makes getting going a lot quicker, it is very possibly more intimidating as I am more alert to my own short-comings. I know the uploads I've done show lack of bellows understanding, and a lack of poise (and rhythmic control).

I'm more than happy to remove previous uploads here, as they have served my purpose and I certainly don't want to put anyone off. I'm sure you'll find encouragement (and advice if wanted) when you do post a piece.

No No you misunderstand - i don't begrudge anyone posting nor wish to compare myself to people such as your self, but it would be helpful to see clips from others at my basic level to see whether the same issues I have are there for them - I'm sure they are but everyone tends to thing "it's just me"!!  As soon as I can get from the start to the finish of a tune I will post something; I shouldnt criticise anyone else for something I am not prepared to do myself!!
 (:)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »

No No you misunderstand - i don't begrudge anyone posting nor wish to compare myself to people such as your self, but it would be helpful to see clips from others at my basic level to see whether the same issues I have are there for them - I'm sure they are but everyone tends to thing "it's just me"!!  As soon as I can get from the start to the finish of a tune I will post something; I shouldnt criticise anyone else for something I am not prepared to do myself!!
 (:)

May I point you our own LadyDeTemps Shameless Promotion Thread that shows her progress from very early on. Some of it is unavailable due to ONMVoice no longer being available but the YouTubes are still there.

ps. Where are you based as I'm sure there will be someone nearby (if you are UK based) who can give you some help if you want it.

skyflyer

« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »

Lester

Thanks - I am having tuition and was quite happy with my progress, until I discovered this thread and saw amazing results from people who had been playing 'just a month" etc!

I eventually realised that most of the "miraculous advancement' came from people who were already established musicians, so I calmed down again! 

The point of me posting about this was to raise awareness that for an absolute beginner, discovering this thread is a bit of a hammer blow - until you understand the above points! Still - I got there in the end, I expect others will too :-)

In my humble opinion I think it would be helpful if  we all volunteered our previous musical experience rather than having to have it prised out of us  ;)

To be fair, my tutor is spending some time establishing the fundamentals and basics before launching me into learning a tune, so I am not too bothered about comparative progress. Like anything else in life a sound foundation leads to a better end result!

Cheers

Hohner Pokerwork D/G
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal