Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 173747 times)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2013, 07:30:35 PM »

Might I take this opportunity to suggest that you come along to Melodeon Playgroup - it's a workshop weekend specifically aimed at those that find those early steps a little daunting.  :)

This year we're having two sections - Playgroup and Big School - Playgroup is for absolute beginners up to "can do a few tunes, not sure about the bass end" and Big School is for people who have been playing a year or two and feel a bit more confident.  At the lovely Fleece Inn near Evesham at the end of November (weekend 23/24th).  Do get in touch via PM or have a look for the Melodeon Playgroup thread in events for more info.

We now return you to normal programming.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »

I've now moved on to Tune of the Month and feel more hesitant there as I think the aim of that thread is to hear different interpretations

Not necessarily - it's there for anybody to do whatever they can, and always has been, only with the proviso that the tune is specified or fits the theme.

I guess the purpose of this thread is for people who haven't yet got the speed to learn tunes for ToTM, but want to play something (anything) they've learned. Exactly like LadyDeTemps shameless promotion thread, but for anyone.

Perhaps the "beginners" who hit the ground running because they already play other instruments should move to ToTM sooner than some have...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »

I'm not sure that being able to play another instrument has any advantage when it comes to the melodeon. Except the Mouthorgan that is. ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

Crikey, I have to disagree with this, Nick >:E - I think playing the piano made a huge difference to how quickly I initially picked up the melodeon.  Being able to do two different things with R and L hand at the same time and having stronger, more flexible fingers just for starters...

But I think the Beginners Showcase is a great idea - it gave me the impetus to get the hang of recording and actually post something.  And don't be put off by the word 'Showcase'!  I think of it more as Anahata says - just a good opportunity to have a go at any tune for your first recording.

Tune of the Month has been good for me too - I don't feel that I necessarily have to add a different interpretation to anyone else's, and at my level would struggle with this - I just do my best effort.  And being a bit melodeon-isolated geographically it has been a good way to feel involved in a small part of the melodeon playing world (:).

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »

Point taken Spikey  ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »

I'm not sure that being able to play another instrument has any advantage when it comes to the melodeon.

Look at Daddy Long Les's video made when he'd been playing melodeon for about two weeks.
A Tutorial video, no less, and making it clear that he has a fully formed map in his head of musical scales and chords - from playing guitar. It's not about playing technique, it's about knowing how music is put together, so when you are practising you always know exactly what you are aiming for.

Lots of other examples too - several on Melnet and YouTube. Guitarists often do well, for some reason.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »

Re skyflyer's post, I've started a new thread here:-
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,12778.0.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:47:37 AM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

skyflyer

« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »

Well, its taken a while, and there's still plenty of errors, but I have at last  managed to record my effort from end to end!

Never played any instrument in my life and started learning at the beginning of July - so this is 2 month's work I guess  (:)

http://youtu.be/BBrszaWMM8k
Hohner Pokerwork D/G
Started learning July 2013

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »

Well, its taken a while, and there's still plenty of errors, but I have at last  managed to record my effort from end to end!

Never played any instrument in my life and started learning at the beginning of July - so this is 2 month's work I guess  (:)

http://youtu.be/BBrszaWMM8k

That is positively outstanding!  (:)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »

That is positively outstanding!  (:)

Wot he said, and the rest! You've had your beginner's luck, now get to the back of the queue!  ;)  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

CarolineC

« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »

For two month's work that is good going - nice control of the box and good rhythm - well done.

pammylou

• Dino Baffetti, Castagnari Tommy, Serenellini Dona
    • Rattlejag Morris
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

For two month's work that is good going - nice control of the box and good rhythm - well done.

Absolutely - After two months I hadn't even started on the bass buttons.  That was excellent  :D

skyflyer

« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »

:|bl  credit due to my tutor then, Mel Biggs a.k.a Melodemon!
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

arty

« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »

I really, really, really wanted to do the tune of the month this time but it was too difficult for my limited 15 months experience. So I chose to learn one of the unsuccessful options for September, "Pixie Wings" by Jody Kruskal.

This is such a beautiful tune and gave me the chance to experiment with cross rowing and finding more interesting basses to go with the treble side. I have worked really hard on this and pleased that I got as far as I have in a month. But it needs polishing up, there are a few hesitant bits (!) and I admit that I didn't do the repeats second time around because I was worried that I would c**k it all up and pleased that I had made it that far!!!

However!!! I have asked about this before - as you will see from the film, I am having a problem in that the box does swing around a lot while I am playing it. I have tried all sorts to stop this, two straps, tighter straps, legs crossed etc., etc., but I can't seem to stop it and I am sure that this causes my playing to stumble sometimes. Looking at my film, I am wondering if I should try tipping the box forward a bit, so that it sits down better on my left thigh and also, maybe I should try to straighten my left arm a bit so that it pushes the bass side further forward.

Any tips  would be very welcome. Thanks. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPLCNK8a79I
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

AirTime

« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »

Nice job arty! It's a lovely tune that I would like to try & you've inspired me to give it a go.  (:)

I hesitate to make a recommendation with regard to "balancing" the box, because I've noticed there are many different ways people accomplish this. My own technique relies on anchoring the treble end against the top/inside of my right thigh, so that when you push with the left hand the treble end does not move. You are balancing the box on top of your left thigh so there is nothing preventing it from moving when you push with the left hand.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

JodyKruskal

• New Starter
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2013, 04:39:01 AM »

I really, really, really wanted to do the tune of the month this time but it was too difficult for my limited 15 months experience. So I chose to learn one of the unsuccessful options for September, "Pixie Wings" by Jody Kruskal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPLCNK8a79I

Wow! Great work Arty. I'm so pleased that you took the time to learn my tune.  :D
If anyone wants to hear me play it (on Anglo concertina, mind you) here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMkIhDrb4-c
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:42:59 AM by JodyKruskal »

arty

« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2013, 10:58:26 PM »

Nice job arty! It's a lovely tune that I would like to try & you've inspired me to give it a go.  (:)

I hesitate to make a recommendation with regard to "balancing" the box, because I've noticed there are many different ways people accomplish this. My own technique relies on anchoring the treble end against the top/inside of my right thigh, so that when you push with the left hand the treble end does not move. You are balancing the box on top of your left thigh so there is nothing preventing it from moving when you push with the left hand.

Thank you AirTime for your help. I have been looking at some You Tube clips of good players and I see what you mean. I shall try this soon and hopefully it will solve the problem.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

AirTime

« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2013, 11:31:51 PM »

Thank you AirTime for your help. I have been looking at some You Tube clips of good players and I see what you mean. I shall try this soon and hopefully it will solve the problem.

The way different players approach this really is remarkably varied. For example -

Against the inner right thigh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRkdpe608U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJR1CNpgjdc

Against the outer left thigh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGNVJ61z9Ew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_95RiSW8Q&feature=related

On top of the left thigh (which I was suggesting was a bad idea), but seems to work OK for this chap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqi8d2VqiQ

I suspect that very experienced players have such precise bellows control that it doesn't matter so much ...

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:35:44 PM by AirTime »
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

arty

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »

The way different players approach this really is remarkably varied. For example -

Thanks again AirTime, you have been very generous with your time and a great help. This evening I have been playing with the box against my inner right thigh and yes, it feels good and has helped to make the box more stable. It is even better if I tilt the box slightly forward and  hold it a bit further away from my torso than I had it before. Still feels a bit strange but I think I will get used to it. It is like the players in your first link, 'Naragonia'. That particular video is a great help because both players hold their boxes the same way and in the film, one is in profile, (so you can see the distance between his body and the box), and the girl is almost facing the camera.

I did try holding the box against my left thigh but I found this very uncomfortable indeed. I can imagine some people who play this way a lot getting spinal problems because it puts one in a very unnatural position.

And your last link - Andy Cutting, it is so interesting to watch because he is so economical with all the movements he makes.....Genius!

Once again, thank you very much!

skyflyer

« Reply #179 on: October 04, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »

Speed the Plough - I now know how other's feel when filming themselves or performing; somehow all the 'perfect' rehearsals are to no avail when the record light is flashing!  Ha ha. Sounds so 'stilted'.  Keep practicing, I know, I know!!  Anyway I now have a repertoire of two tunes - so no need to worry just yet Lester :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhTLs16ZV0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Hohner Pokerwork D/G
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal