Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 173731 times)

Tom

• Good talker
  • Stuff with sticks mostly, Sandpiper DG
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »

Here's my stab at Rabbit Stew:

http://youtu.be/c-jTT3T0bao

I actually learned this during feb. but really wanted to try a 'fancy' video and just never got round to it.
featuring my brilliant new Sandpiper! (and the legendary 'Dubl Handi')

To clarify the 'beginner issue' if you are a beginner on the melodeon it counts, as long as you do mention any previous significant experience playing an instrument at a more than beginner level.

Signed The Moderator

Haha... In the interests of honesty; I've been playing Box for about 5 months. I'm a jobbing/teaching drummer and world perc player. Melodeon is the first tuned instrument i've ever really got to grips with. (not counting piano to grade 2, 20 years ago)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »

I actually learned this during feb. but really wanted to try a 'fancy' video and just never got round to it.

To clarify the 'beginner issue' if you are a beginner on the melodeon it counts, as long as you do mention any previous significant experience playing an instrument at a more than beginner level.

Signed The Moderator

Haha... In the interests of honesty; I've been playing Box for about 5 months. I'm a jobbing/teaching drummer and world perc player. Melodeon is the first tuned instrument i've ever really got to grips with. (not counting piano to grade 2, 20 years ago)

Boy do you have swing  ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »

I like that version. You play it same speed I do.
I notice your adding your own artificial Hohner clack. ;)

Tom

• Good talker
  • Stuff with sticks mostly, Sandpiper DG
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 10:14:22 AM »

I notice your adding your own artificial Hohner clack. ;)

laughs out loud
Yes.... i guess of some deep level i must miss that horrible, clacky, over-wet sound!

AirTime

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »

Here's my stab at Rabbit Stew

Very nice!

Judging by that video, the Sandpiper sounds a little drier tuned than a Morgane & does not have the typical growling Hohner bass - a little more Italian-sounding I would say.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 08:54:53 PM »

Boy do you have swing  ;D
Wot Lester said (:).  It really made me want to dance - one of those ones you watch and can't stop smiling.  Excellent playing (and you are forgiven for your previous musical experience...)

bellmartin

• Regular debater
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 03:01:55 AM »

Hurray, Tom! Really fun.

AirTime

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »

Oh dear ...   :-[

After my first Youtube posting, I was optimistic I'd be able able to dash off a few more in short order.  No such luck.   :-\

Even tunes I've been playing for months failed to come together as hoped for when seated in front of the camera. For me, there really is a vast chasm between playing a tune "more-or-less" right & playing it through, on demand, without "unforced errors". And familiarity doesn't seem to narrow that gap much.

Anyway, after some disappointing results, I decided to tackle a new tune, although one that I've played for a while on the mandolin. I apologize for hammering away on the treble buttons so aggressively - I was going for a pronounced rhythm but didn't appreciate quite how hard I was hitting those buttons! Going to have to pad those pallettes ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6MEHtt1Rg

1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »

Oh dear ...   :-[

After my first Youtube posting, I was optimistic I'd be able able to dash off a few more in short order.  No such luck.   :-\

Even tunes I've been playing for months failed to come together as hoped for when seated in front of the camera. For me, there really is a vast chasm between playing a tune "more-or-less" right & playing it through, on demand, without "unforced errors". And familiarity doesn't seem to narrow that gap much.

Anyway, after some disappointing results, I decided to tackle a new tune, although one that I've played for a while on the mandolin. I apologize for hammering away on the treble buttons so aggressively - I was going for a pronounced rhythm but didn't appreciate quite how hard I was hitting those buttons! Going to have to pad those pallettes ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6MEHtt1Rg

I love this.  Well played that man!!! That was a long time to keep going for - I'm not usually that brave!  Lovely sounding and looking box btw. I quite like all the clacking as it happens.  Thank you for sharing this :||:
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »

Just a small point of friendly information. (:)   Unless your box is very unusual it is a Bb/Eb not the other way round. 

The convention is outside row/inside row. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »

Airtime - this is really nice playing - stop dissing yersel'! You might imagine that those of us who've posted quite a lot of TOTMs just sit down and film a single take or maybe a couple. Whlist recording my 3/8 bourrees for this month's ThOTM I wore out the batteries in my camera AND digital sound recorder, performed an endless number of takes and still managed to muff quite a number of notes before I decided nuff was nuff and to post anyway. I think for most of us, sitting down in front of a camera has a weird 'stage fright' effect. Keep playing, keep smiling and stop underestimating your own playing. This was of a standard which certainly didn't *have* to be in the Beginner's arena imho.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »

Airtime - this is really nice playing - stop dissing yersel'! You might imagine that those of us who've posted quite a lot of TOTMs just sit down and film a single take or maybe a couple. Whlist recording my 3/8 bourrees for this month's ThOTM I wore out the batteries in my camera AND digital sound recorder, performed an endless number of takes and still managed to muff quite a number of notes before I decided nuff was nuff and to post anyway. I think for most of us, sitting down in front of a camera has a weird 'stage fright' effect. Keep playing, keep smiling and stop underestimating your own playing. This was of a standard which certainly didn't *have* to be in the Beginner's arena imho.

Well said that man!  You should see the amount of takes I do of my vids before I decide that by the law of diminishing returns it ain't gonna get any better!! ;)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Poustevnik

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »

Thinking that I'd get into the spirit of things, I've made my first video.

Please bear in mind that I've only been playing for 6 days, so this is going to be very basic, but here is my attempt at the Bear's Dance (be kind!  :-[)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpuFhlOhByk

Edit: any feedback would be hugely appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:29:54 PM by Poustevnik »

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »

I'd say that's brilliant progress in such a short time. Well played and good on yer for putting up the vid! (:)

AirTime

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »

I'm not sure I'm really dissing myself!  I'm actually quite happy with the progress I've been making with the melodeon. It's a most gratifying instrument in that sense. What is a bit frustrating is that even in the case of tunes I've been playing (for myself) a lot, & that I feel I play pretty competently,  when it comes to playing them through without mistakes - I'm not there yet. I'm wondering when - or if ever - I will reach that level of competence? Obviously, if you're going to play live, you don't have the luxury of doing multiple re-takes!

In addition, I find when I haven't played a tune for a while ... I forget how to play it. I need to monkey around with it for a few minutes before the "playing memory" comes back to me! This also does not auger well for the ability to sit down & play a few tunes to entertain others!

So ... my real question is: is there point somewhere in playing development at which it all comes together & you can just pick up a box & start squeezing out a variety of tunes "on demand" with no - or at least minimal - mistakes?

AirTime

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

Please bear in mind that I've only been playing for 6 days, so this is going to be very basic, but here is my attempt at the Bear's Dance

Very nice!    (:)

That's the great thing about the melodeon - you can get very gratifying sounds: the interplay between the bass, chords  & melody - with a minimum amount of fuss.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:46:35 PM by AirTime »

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »

Edit: any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Another newbie who pretty obviously plays another instrument to a decent standard. You are of course guilty of the grave sin of rushing through the bits you are confident with, it's what we all do!. It also struck me that as time went on you were losing confidence after the initial adrenalin rush. Take a deep breath, relax and play the whole thing at a speed you can play the hardest bit at without making a mistake, repeat ad nauseum until boredom drives you to increase tempo slightly.

Six days? You know, that was good by anybody's standard in such a sort time. Looking forward to more!

Pete
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Spikey

• Regular debater
  • NZ
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »

Well done!  For 6 days playing that's excellent progress, and a clear video with good sound - keep going :||:!

I really like seeing the progress people make, it's very encouraging, so it's good to see your first tune - thanks for posting this (:), and look forward to more on TOTM!

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 07:22:55 AM »

You've been very honest here and posted a "warts and all" performance. Thank you - the progress you make will be fascinating!!

Poustevnik

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys :)

I think when it came down to the speed I was suffering from camera nerves :p After playing through it a few more times, the speed of the piece is all as one now, and is certainly much smoother :) Maybe I'll get round to uploading another version at some point in the future :)

This is what I love about this forum, everyone is very supportive!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal