Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 56135 times)

Ribs

Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I absolutely see what you mean about playing too fast. This was one of the first tunes I managed to work out, long before I had any real bellows control. As such, I learned it using extremely long pulls and pushes, so not only am I fighting to conserve air, I also have very little opportunity to add any kind of "flavor" to the song. That, coupled with the fact that I was nervous and frustrated by how many takes I had previously done, I think I was trying to hurry through as fast as I could lol. I'll see about changing it up a bit, and I'll post a new version to see if I'm doing any better.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »

Hi Ribs, not bad atall  after only 3 months playing the box.  By way of constructive suggestions I would sugest that:

3. Playing a tune slowly or even very slowly enables details such as dynamics  and phrasing ( leaving gaps between notes like punctuation in the written word)  to be sorted 

As a box player and former Head of English can I congratulate George on a top notch definition which has never occurred to me before    :|glug :|glug

george

Dick Rees

« Reply #402 on: May 23, 2018, 03:26:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I absolutely see what you mean about playing too fast. This was one of the first tunes I managed to work out, long before I had any real bellows control. As such, I learned it using extremely long pulls and pushes, so not only am I fighting to conserve air, I also have very little opportunity to add any kind of "flavor" to the song. That, coupled with the fact that I was nervous and frustrated by how many takes I had previously done, I think I was trying to hurry through as fast as I could lol. I'll see about changing it up a bit, and I'll post a new version to see if I'm doing any better.

It's a song.  Would you sing it that fast?  Try singing it and play along with your voice rather than playing the box and singing along.  Horse > Cart instead of Cart > Horse, so to speak.

And never under estimate the value of using a good old metronome.  Not only will it show you how much more time you have within the tune, but playing along with another device helps you develop the ability to play in ensemble with others...sort of a faux partner, as it were.

Otherwise, absolutely great, especially considering the amount of time since you started in.

Jesse Smith

• Regular debater
  • Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #403 on: May 23, 2018, 04:08:55 PM »

And never under estimate the value of using a good old metronome.  Not only will it show you how much more time you have within the tune, but playing along with another device helps you develop the ability to play in ensemble with others...sort of a faux partner, as it were.

I've tried playing with a metronome but my problem is I can't hear the click over the noise of the melodeon, and trying to keep rhythm with just the flashing light is not as easy for me. I suppose like anything else, that just takes practice.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Hohner Pressed Wood C/F.

deltasalmon

« Reply #404 on: May 23, 2018, 04:21:10 PM »

I have bad hearing and had this problem too. I couldn't hear the metronome over the melodeon. I ended up buying an old school mechanical metronome and that way I had a visual cue as well as an audible one.

Mine isn't this same shade of electric blue but it's the same idea.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Van der Aa Compact II C#/D - One-Row, 4-stop in C - Custom "Chanson" in D (LM)

george garside

« Reply #405 on: May 23, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »

plenty of youtube vids of groups singing blow the man down  to play along with

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".    Available on ebay as a 'buy now' item. Put in melodeon tutor book for full info.

Stotty

• Stotty
« Reply #406 on: May 23, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »

If you struggle with a metronome it might be worth trying a "counting" metronome if you can play near a computer, and if the rythmn fits. I have used this one and found it much easier to play with than a "pinging" electronic metronome:
 http://www.metronomebot.com/talking-metronome-in-four.html
You can vary the speed and also have 2 & 3 counts as well as 4 counts.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.