Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 111425 times)

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »

Well I've been playing 4 weeks now and struggling a bit. Still have to think of every note and there is no flow to the tune, more hunt and peck, but I guess that more time will bring improvement. This tune definitely hasn't evolved yet.

The Marino Waltz on a B/C box in the key of G. All done by ear because I just listened to The Dubliners playing on Youtube and tried to copy it. I tend to get a cerebral meltdown when sat in front of a video camera for some bizarre reason..... :-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8RN9waHcQ
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:07:50 PM by Graham Wood »
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2020, 01:37:07 PM »

Playing looks fine to me for the length of time you've been at it. Struggling is surely a good thing - it is so much more rewarding than pressing 'play'. And I've said many times that I can't play from memory, so well done with that.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Castagnari Sander DG

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2020, 04:32:29 PM »

... I tend to get a cerebral meltdown when sat in front of a video camera for some bizarre reason..... :-[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8RN9waHcQ

Not bizarre. Absolutely normal. Very few people claim to not suffer from this to some extent.
Well played.
Greg Smith
DG Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, CF Hohner, Pressed Wood 1040C

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #443 on: February 03, 2020, 01:32:52 AM »

Still have to think of every note and there is no flow to the tune, more hunt and peck, but I guess that more time will bring improvement.

It will Graham, it will. In the meantime, here's a wee hint that may help: I would use the outer row push B pretty well throughout the tune. For instance, playing the Bs in bars 1 and 2 on the outer row will bring the B right next to your F#, and close to the E, and give you a nice longish phrase all on the push.

About the only place where it would make better sense to use the pull B on the inner row would be in bar 7 of the first part.

I say this without regard to the basses, since you aren't using them... if you were, you might have to do a bit more swapping between G pull and push, I suppose.
Senior member at meoldone.net

www.rogermillington.com

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #444 on: February 03, 2020, 06:45:04 PM »

Thank you all. And especially the tip about playing the B's on the push. It certainly does make the start flow a lot better, just need to grab a bit more air at the beginning of the sequence. I keep forgetting about the same notes that can be played on the push and pull. When I work the tune out I just find the note that fits without thinking about the playing position. I will certainly give it a lot more thought now.

I didn't try basses because I couldn't get a Bm. The D's on treble and bass are pull only whilst F# is push only. B is alright...lol. I might think about getting one of my push C's on the bass side turned into a D. But that is for later on unless it becomes a real pain. Thanks Stiamh.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top

Dennis Steckley

• Club System!
« Reply #445 on: March 28, 2020, 01:51:14 AM »

I have a general question--why are there so many tunes people are recording that are in minor keys?  Is it just personal preference or is there simply a plethora of music in minor keys?  I know that a minor key is not necessarily sad, but so many of the tunes I'm hearing that are posted on you tube by folks here are downright mournful, even moaning in tone.
Dennis Steckley
Hohner Victoria Club ii, Hohner Club III M, Hohner Lilliput, Hohner Overture LMMM

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #446 on: March 28, 2020, 07:38:45 AM »

I have a general question--why are there so many tunes people are recording that are in minor keys?  Is it just personal preference or is there simply a plethora of music in minor keys?  I know that a minor key is not necessarily sad, but so many of the tunes I'm hearing that are posted on you tube by folks here are downright mournful, even moaning in tone.
Dennis Steckley
One of the drivers for minor key tunes in England is the upsurge in border morris which uses a plethora of such tunes.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #447 on: March 28, 2020, 08:43:08 AM »

"downright mournful, even moaning in tone."

Perhaps that's why? Not every melodeon player is "into" Morris etc., and some of us actually like mournful (or even moaning) tunes.
Although I can carry on messing with melodeons, the ongoing attention of the Ministry of Truth and the Thought Police will (no doubt) eventually teach me to really love Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #448 on: March 28, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »

"downright mournful, even moaning in tone."

Perhaps that's why? Not every melodeon player is "into" Morris etc., and some of us actually like mournful (or even moaning) tunes.

A lot of border morris tunes are in minor keys. Same with Breton tunes. Not moaning to my ear.
I'm assuming "moaning tunes" are airs, laments, etc.. I rather like them. 
They can be in major keys, as well as minor
Greg Smith
DG Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, CF Hohner, Pressed Wood 1040C

Dick Rees

• Respected Sage
« Reply #449 on: March 28, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »

Dennis Steckley

Minor key tunes are sexy.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

Geolocation: directly above the center of the Earth.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #450 on: March 28, 2020, 03:05:56 PM »

(...) I know that a minor key is not necessarily sad, but so many of the tunes (...) I'm hearing that are posted on you tube by folks here are downright mournful, even moaning in tone.

Glad it's not just me :)

There are some miserable minor sounds out there but each to his own,  it's not just folks on here they're everywhere :) 
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #451 on: March 28, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »

Dennis Steckley
Perhaps one might consider a theme of the month, then - "cheerful tunes in a minor key"? Or maybe keep it for next February?  >:E >:E
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal