Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 173746 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys :)

I think when it came down to the speed I was suffering from camera nerves :p After playing through it a few more times, the speed of the piece is all as one now, and is certainly much smoother :) Maybe I'll get round to uploading another version at some point in the future :)

This is what I love about this forum, everyone is very supportive!

No problem. We've all been there at some time.  Keep on keeping on!!
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 03:22:46 PM »

I had forgotten about this thread. What a shame! Nice recordings you've posted here so far! I'll have to take out my squeezebox again now. Have been working 24/7 more or less during the month of April and early May, now finally have some space.
As for camera nerves, I'm the master of messing up in front of the camera.

Moleman

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »

Just read through the whole thread - marvellous! The TOTM thread is too daunting for me, but this is a great idea for leading into it. All the entries thus far have spurred me on to submit an entry of my own; most likely a morris tune. Wife treated me to a D/G sandpiper from TMR last October, so have been playing around 6 months now. Currently not playing, following shoulder surgery, but that gives me time to work out how to record the eventual effort!
Al, from the accordion forum, suggests recording your playing, in order to self-critique: I see the benefit of that as well as posting vids for others to view and comment on.
Six weeks or so and I'll have a go at a vid - unless my nerves give out in the meantime!!

Regards,
Martin

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »

I'm not sure I'm really dissing myself!  I'm actually quite happy with the progress I've been making with the melodeon. It's a most gratifying instrument in that sense. What is a bit frustrating is that even in the case of tunes I've been playing (for myself) a lot, & that I feel I play pretty competently,  when it comes to playing them through without mistakes - I'm not there yet. I'm wondering when - or if ever - I will reach that level of competence? Obviously, if you're going to play live, you don't have the luxury of doing multiple re-takes!

In addition, I find when I haven't played a tune for a while ... I forget how to play it. I need to monkey around with it for a few minutes before the "playing memory" comes back to me! This also does not auger well for the ability to sit down & play a few tunes to entertain others!

I do admit this was posted some time ago, but I just wanted to point out that I've been playing for eight months and I could have posted what Airtime just said WORD FOR WORD.  Literally exactly how I feel.  You can play something pretty well, but you muck up a few notes here and there, and you speed up and slow down, and pull funny faces, and wonder if you will ever be able to play like all the others do.

Well, my fellow first-years, I'm sure everyone has been there, and this is a great thread for realising that this is a stage that everyone goes through.  If playing an instrument didn't require effort then everyone would do it.  Our videos on here that we are so modest about are our first attempts to walk rather than crawl, and there is always going to be a bit of staggering and reaching out for furniture.  Long-term players we are trying to impress are all clustered around us like adult relatives cooing over our progress and how well we are walking at such an early age, while we are frustrated at the fact that we cannot yet run.

I am philosophical today.  I really must go home and just record Princess Royal, one take, warts and all.  Just to see how it goes. 

Al, from the accordion forum, suggests recording your playing, in order to self-critique: I see the benefit of that as well as posting vids for others to view and comment on.
I would also suggest that this is a great way for remembering how you played a tune.  Just video yourself playing it once, then in a few months when you were trying to remember how you did that bass or got that nice little twiddle, there it is.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:55:49 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfJHiPwnWU

As promised. Me at 8 months of playing. I have a fairly musical background - flute, recorder group, choir etc. at school. I have a good ear for harmony and can arrange a bit. Can sight read as a hint but mainly play by ear.

The video is me playing Princess Royal, Trumpet Hornpipe and The Moon and Seven Stars, backed by football and occasional comments from spouse. At least the cat didn't start rubbing his face on the bass end this time.  They are in descending order of how long I've been playing them for. One take, warts and all. So I'm getting there, but still mucking up a few bits in tunes I've been practicing a while, and stumbling through tunes I don't know so well.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

AirTime

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »

Well Strig you're a gusty woman - posting "warts & all"!  :o

What I can tell you, is that since I posted my comments I have made further progress & I'm reaching the point where I can play a number of tunes mostly error-free. This is not to say I don't make any mistakes, but they are starting to become few & far between, rather than predictably frequent. The answer remains, as ever -  PRACTICE! I'm almost at a year in & I can say there's a significant difference between 8 months & 12 months (if you're practicing a lot). All the time & experience does add up. It's instructive to have video of earlier efforts in order to put the improvement in clear focus.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

AirTime

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 03:03:19 AM »

Double post.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 09:13:49 AM »

As promised. Me at 8 months of playing. I have a fairly musical background - flute, recorder group, choir etc. at school. I have a good ear for harmony and can arrange a bit. Can sight read as a hint but mainly play by ear.

The video is me playing Princess Royal, Trumpet Hornpipe and The Moon and Seven Stars, backed by football and occasional comments from spouse. At least the cat didn't start rubbing his face on the bass end this time.  They are in descending order of how long I've been playing them for. One take, warts and all. So I'm getting there, but still mucking up a few bits in tunes I've been practicing a while, and stumbling through tunes I don't know so well.
Your princess royal is coming along really well. :) And I didn't attempt seven stars till quite recently so well done. keep going.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »

A marathon performance! Your ear for harmony is well apparent from the effort you are making to cross rows in the last tune to get the right chords, no matter how hard it is to do. Fluency will come - it's only a matter of time.

As Sarah says - keep going!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

It's a curse, sometimes.   Things either sound right or they don't.  Some things sound righter than others.  I will try and tangle my fingers into knots to get the sound that is in my head.  It'll stand me in good stead in the long term.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

arty

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2012, 05:02:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wpG8JZ-J0&feature=plcp

After 8 weeks on my first Melodeon...a Pre-Pokerwork C/F, bought from Mike Rowbotham in Cornwall.

A rather timid Michael Turner's Waltz, complete with hesitations and a few errors! A lot to learn but I just love this tune and learning the melodeon....what A JOY!!! I should be grateful for any advice and help I can get. Thank you.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »

After 8 weeks on my first Melodeon...a Pre-Pokerwork C/F, bought from Mike Rowbotham in Cornwall.

A rather timid Michael Turner's Waltz, complete with hesitations and a few errors! A lot to learn but I just love this tune and learning the melodeon....what A JOY!!! I should be grateful for any advice and help I can get. Thank you.

That is brilliant after only 8 weeks, well done that man   (:)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »

Really nice.  You're doing really well.  Lovely sounding box btw! (:) (:)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

AirTime

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »

There's the great thing about this instrument: even after a few weeks of playing the tune sounds very nice - really enjoyable to listen to! Superb sounding box and ...

you're playing the basses with 4 fingers!  (:)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »

OK, here's my one. Yet another version of 'Speed the Plough', not the most original choice, I know.  I will try and be a bit more adventurous next time...maybe.  This is an unedited first take so there are some pretty wobbly bits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A74TlflMy0
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

RobinA

« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »

Really enjoying watching all the other videos in the beginner's showcase here. 

Here's mine - sliding in under the wire on the last day with the June 2012 Tune of the Month.  I couldn't get all the way through without making a mistake. As of last night when the video was made, I had been playing for 29 days.  I obviously need a lot more practice with bellows and air button control.  Any constructive comments appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYemy31mGfg

Filmed in the camper on my phone.  Extraneous sounds and distractions include the fan, my husband (who has COPD) holding the phone for the video and me giggling because the dog is licking my arm (sorry)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:42:32 PM by RobinA »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »

Really enjoying watching all the other videos in the beginner's showcase here. 

Here's mine - sliding in under the wire on the last day with the June 2012 Tune of the Month.  I couldn't get all the way through without making a mistake. As of last night when the video was made, I had been playing for 29 days.  I obviously need a lot more practice with bellows and air button control.  Any constructive comments appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYemy31mGfg

Filmed in the camper on my phone.  Extraneous sounds and distractions include the fan, my husband (who has COPD) holding the phone for the video and me giggling because the dog is licking my arm (sorry)

Robin that is fine playing especially after only 29 days. Hope you post it on the main ToTM thread as it is easily good enough.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »

What Lester and Matt said. Looking forward to more!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

arty

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »

I'm not qualified to criticise in any way as I am a beginner too, of just two months. But I thought that was amazing Robin, especially the speed you have attained.....WELL DONE!!!!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

RobinA

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »

Thanks.  I really love playing this instrument.  Don't know how everyone gets the air button action so smooth, but guess it takes practice, just like everything else. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal