Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174157 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2012, 12:18:57 AM »

Yes, the air button thing takes practice... But meanwhile you already have a melodic approach to basses of which I thoroughly approve :)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

Really enjoying watching all the other videos in the beginner's showcase here. 

Here's mine - sliding in under the wire on the last day with the June 2012 Tune of the Month.  I couldn't get all the way through without making a mistake. As of last night when the video was made, I had been playing for 29 days.  I obviously need a lot more practice with bellows and air button control.  Any constructive comments appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYemy31mGfg

Filmed in the camper on my phone.  Extraneous sounds and distractions include the fan, my husband (who has COPD) holding the phone for the video and me giggling because the dog is licking my arm (sorry)

Robin that is fine playing especially after only 29 days. Hope you post it on the main ToTM thread as it is easily good enough.
Looking good - I couldn't do that at 29 days.  Took me over 18 months to work out how to hold it...
Mike :||:

Roland OBrien

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »

I've had a melodeon now for exactly a month  (:), so it was time to post a video on the beginners' showcase. I haven't cut out the mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZ3ohnBxQA

I had been fiddling around to create a tune for the last TOTM and this appeared out of my melodeon. I imagine it is a well-known tune, or bits of tunes, and not original in the slightest. I'd be very interested to know if it is some standard tune, so I can google someone else playing it (I still have to work out how to get enough air into the bellows at a couple of points in it).

This thread is really encouraging for beginners. Thanks Melnet!

arty

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

Here is my latest tune that I have been learning. I have had my first melodeon for eleven weeks now and it is just starting to feel enjoyable and comfortable. I have to say that I absolutely love it and wish I had bought it 30 years ago!

The music of Turlough O'Carolan is beautiful isn't it? and some of it is quite simple, so ideal for someone like me still fumbling around on a new instrument. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISwtpkmjGQ&feature=youtube_gdata

Planxty Irwin complete with a few stumbles! Any help / encouragement / criticism welcomed. Thank you.

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »

Here is my latest tune that I have been learning. I have had my first melodeon for eleven weeks now and it is just starting to feel enjoyable and comfortable. I have to say that I absolutely love it and wish I had bought it 30 years ago!

The music of Turlough O'Carolan is beautiful isn't it? and some of it is quite simple, so ideal for someone like me still fumbling around on a new instrument. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sISwtpkmjGQ&feature=youtube_gdata

Planxty Irwin complete with a few stumbles! Any help / encouragement / criticism welcomed. Thank you.

That is really good, is it your first instrument or do you come from a previous musical background?

FlatNote

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »

The music of Turlough O'Carolan is beautiful isn't it? and some of it is quite simple, so ideal for someone like me still fumbling around on a new instrument.

That's one I'd listen to again.  In fact I did!  Proof that one does not need speed or sophisticated fingering or an expensive instrument to make lovely music on the melodeon. I'll be watching out for more.

arty

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

That is really good, is it your first instrument or do you come from a previous musical background?
[/quote]

Thank you Lester, I do come from a musical background. I played the oboe from the age of 11 for 30 years, not to any high standard but enough to enjoy playing with a small, amateur orchestra. I also played the guitar quite seriously. Then, while living in France for a few years, I was given a Chromatic Button Accordion and tried teaching myself for a couple of years. It was nice but I found it too complex...I mean, 120 bass buttons for goodness sake!
On a recent trip to Cornwall, on the first of May, I met Mike Rowbotham and bought this old but lovely Pokerwork in C/F. The CBA is now at The Music Room being sold and I haven't touched the guitar in ages! Says it all really!!!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

That's really nice. You're putting me to shame with your four fingers on the bass buttons!  You seem very relaxed when you're playing- that's something I still need to work on.  Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed it.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

arty

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »

Thank you FlatNote and Daddy Long Les. As a teacher myself, (I teach painting and drawing to adults) I am constantly told that the most important thing you can give, is encouragement. And that's right....the encouragement becomes the energy to learn more. Princess Royal is next, I want to try to get more rhythm and speed into my playing! Wish me luck....

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »

Thank you FlatNote and Daddy Long Les. As a teacher myself, (I teach painting and drawing to adults) I am constantly told that the most important thing you can give, is encouragement. And that's right....the encouragement becomes the energy to learn more. Princess Royal is next, I want to try to get more rhythm and speed into my playing! Wish me luck....
Princess Royal eh?  I found that pretty hard  - see my Blog 14. I'll be very interested to see how you get on with it.  I cheated a bit and used the extra notes on my Saltarelle!!
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Jinkers1

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »

Princess Royal eh?  I found that pretty hard  - see my Blog 14. I'll be very interested to see how you get on with it.  I cheated a bit and used the extra notes on my Saltarelle!!

Just curious - what were the extra notes you needed for in Princess Royal?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2012, 02:07:19 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UzSiOdKAV0

Although to me it looks harder than up and down the row  ???

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »

None -  just a lot less bellows direction changing. Probably wouldn't play it that way now!! ;)

Jinkers1

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

Looks like he's using C reversed, handy if available, but certainly not necessary.  I play a three-row in ADG, so I also cross the rows a lot, forgot that some of the half-row buttons were reversals of standard notes!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:38:22 PM by mglamb »

RobinA

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 01:53:22 AM »

Arty - Very nice!  I love just about anything by O'Carolan.  You played C chords in some places where I might have played Gs, and I really like the way it sounds.  That's the good thing about getting to see so many different versions of the same song. 

RobinA

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »

Posting my stab at Lemonville Jig from today at about 6 1/2 weeks of playing.  I promise I'm having more fun than it looks like in the video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcUgobjYAE

AirTime

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2012, 04:37:12 AM »

Posting my stab at Lemonville Jig from today at about 6 1/2 weeks of playing.  I promise I'm having more fun than it looks like in the video. 

Very nice Robin - impressively fluent playing for such a short time!

Nice job, & that old Hohner sounds wonderful - more Rowbotham magic.

1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

RobinA

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »

I agree with Arty that I wish I had taken up this instrument 30 years ago!  Better late than never, I guess. 

arty

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

That's really good Robin....you really manage to get a speed up don't you! I am learning Princess Royal at the moment and I learnt to play it slowly first and did it quite well, now I have started to speed it up I get my fingers in a tangle every time. So, I decided to go back to playing it slowly.....and now I can't do that either!!!
Keep going - we'll crack it in the end!

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »

Lovely - really flows.
Mike (:)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal