Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174182 times)

deltasalmon

Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »

http://youtu.be/h6kwRijhHZE

First tune of the month submission. Originally posted in the TOTM section but probably more appropriate to post here. I've been playing for almost 4 months. Still need to work on playing with the left hand. The main problem is they don't usually show up in the ABCs
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Mystery Jig

• Good talker
  • State 'O' Maine
    • Mystery Jig
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2012, 03:57:04 AM »

http://mysteryjig.com/?p=764

My first video posting here. I've been playing the box every day for about three-and-a-half months now.  :||:
Beltuna Samuel III A/D/G
Beltuna Sara 3+2 G/C

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »

My first video posting here. I've been playing the box every day for about three-and-a-half months now.  :||:

Excellent! The phrasing, embellishments and general musicality of your playing suggest that you were already an accomplished musician before picking up your first box though.  ;)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2012, 12:15:10 PM »

http://mysteryjig.com/?p=764

Three and a half months?!!!  Amazing!!  Thank you for posting.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Mystery Jig

• Good talker
  • State 'O' Maine
    • Mystery Jig
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2012, 03:43:10 PM »

Thanks folks. Yes, I was (am) a folk musician with many years under my belt before I picked up the melodeon a few months ago. The thing is, I seem to be unable to put it down. I haven't been this obsessed with an instrument since I learned to play the banjo as a teenager. Plus, there are so many fabulous videos out there — thanks to this site's TOTM — to watch and learn from.  ;)
Beltuna Samuel III A/D/G
Beltuna Sara 3+2 G/C

deltasalmon

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »

http://youtu.be/h6kwRijhHZE

First tune of the month submission. Originally posted in the TOTM section but probably more appropriate to post here. I've been playing for almost 4 months. Still need to work on playing with the left hand. The main problem is they don't usually show up in the ABCs

I've not seen and heard Weltmeisters much and you seem to be making very good friends with yours. I'm still more or less in the drone/chord stage of left hand work. When I play a polka with the left hand added it is so hard not to sound like my hands are elephant feet. I've made time in my life again for melodeon and melodeon.net and I need to get to know my current beginner peers here. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the comment! I can't say I knew much about Weltmeisters much before I bought mine either but then again I didn't really know much about melodeons in general  :D

After your comment and seeing more beginners posting has inspired me... only two weeks left in the month but I'll see if I can learn a waltz before then.

EDIT: after looking at the ThOTM it turns out I'm already late on waltz's unless I find one in 5/4...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:00:52 PM by deltasalmon »
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lqvGBg-y9o

Been playing for a year and a bit.  Spent most of January trying to "crack" waltz time, and here is the result.  Meant that when I finally got back to playing Princess Royal I had to work at it a bit to get OUT of oom-pah-pah...

Every day, it comes a little more fluently.  I'm slightly disappointed that tunes I've been playing for a year still aren't quite there yet, but these things take time, I suppose.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »

From a standing start it takes at least 2 years to start to feel comfortable.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lqvGBg-y9o

Been playing for a year and a bit.  Spent most of January trying to "crack" waltz time, and here is the result.  Meant that when I finally got back to playing Princess Royal I had to work at it a bit to get OUT of oom-pah-pah...

Every day, it comes a little more fluently.  I'm slightly disappointed that tunes I've been playing for a year still aren't quite there yet, but these things take time, I suppose.

Nicely played  (:)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »

I do see improvement.  There are fewer "takes" than there used to be.  :)  And I am gratified that, once I remember how a tune goes, I can play a small number from memory.  Well, "play".  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »

Back in early January I rashly made a New Year's 'Boxolution' to post a video in TOTM every month and managed to stick to that resolution for, ooh it must have been a whole month. This month's tune 'In Continental Mood' is clearly beyond me so instead I am posting a tune here - technically this still counts because this thread sits within the TOTM discussion and I am posting a video here  ;)

I really struggle to play when the camera is running so I've been thinking  about just learning a tune and recording it the same day, mistakes and all. This will give me no time to over analyse the thing or procrastinate.

This morning Lester posted 'Three Around Three', a tune which I really like (thanks Lester  (:)) so I downloaded the ABC and twiddled about with the tune today in between the more important but less fun stuff I had to get done.

Here's the result, I'm quite pleased with it overall  :|||:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFTncoM3UQ

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

deltasalmon

« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »

I had made a similar "boxolution" but then didn't learn either of the 2013 TOTMs. I have higher hopes for March by looking at the poll but your post of Three Around Three was great to listen to and has inspired me and I will do my best to record something this weekend. Perhaps my rendition of Donkey Riding...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:20:23 PM by deltasalmon »
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2013, 12:32:11 AM »

Here's the result, I'm quite pleased with it overall  :|||:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFTncoM3UQ

Well played that girl  (:)

Like the dutch courage in the video  ;)

deltasalmon

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »

My attempt at playing Donkey Riding on a 1-row 4-stop in C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr48XVNqzoE
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »

My attempt at playing Donkey Riding on a 1-row 4-stop in C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr48XVNqzoE

Very nice it is too for seven months, although you do look a little older than that if I may say so  ;)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »

Well done both, certainly better than I was at the same stage in my melodeon playing career!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »

Today is my first 'melodeon birthday', and also my thirty-eleventh actual birthday so I thought it was a good day to record a video to capture my progress.  Although it is one year since I started playing I didn't really get started until July when I got my pokerwork.

This is my attempt at this month's theme of the month,the first time I have attempted a posting for Theme of the Month.

One year in, here is my attempt at 'The Redesdale Hornpipe':http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWeibHUN0Yw&feature=youtu.be

Cheers!   :|||: :|glug

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »

That was really well done! I love playing hornpipes but I think the Redesdale and the closely related Underhand Hornpipe are complete pigs to play and I avoid them like the plague. You'll be playing the Barrington next.  :o
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

bretelles

« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3AHlKrvPs

...I'm playing the melodeon since august 2012 and I'm still feeling like an absolute beginner,
just haven't got the time to practice... This is called carolans draught (an attempt after about 7 weeks of practice),
it's normally played slower, and it's more suitable for harps or guitars, but I really like this tune... 
anyway, I keep on trying, still not over the "uhm-pah" yet...
thanks so much everyone for the support and inspiration on this site!!!

deltasalmon

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3AHlKrvPs

...I'm playing the melodeon since august 2012 and I'm still feeling like an absolute beginner,
just haven't got the time to practice... This is called carolans draught (an attempt after about 7 weeks of practice),
it's normally played slower, and it's more suitable for harps or guitars, but I really like this tune... 
anyway, I keep on trying, still not over the "uhm-pah" yet...
thanks so much everyone for the support and inspiration on this site!!!

Wow! Wonderful playing! You sound very far from an absolute beginner...
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal