Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174173 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

Well done! The rhythm wasn't too wobbly at at all, nice and steady and crisp all the way though.
I'd say you're off to a promising start there, and it will get easier.
Many thanks for the feedback - much appreciated (:)  Also, huge thanks to you, Lester and all the others here who post videos for those of us starting out to use as motivation/inspiration.  More practice this evening ...  :D

Just got round to listening, very well played. I especially liked the variations in the bass line, missing bits between parts and bass/chord together, advanced stuff for a beginner.  (:)

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »

... missing bits between parts ...

I suspect this is luck rather than judgement!  (:)  Many thanks.  N
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »

Deep breath ... here goes.

I bought my first melodeon last October (an ex-demo Sandpiper D/G) naively thinking that this melodeon thing couldn't be too difficult.  Boy was I wrong!  However, I wasn't anticipating how addictive it is (sorry to wife, neighbours, dogs etc).

Anyway, this is my first attempt at the Morris tune Monks March:

http://youtu.be/apoMjmhOj1U

The timing is a bit wobbly and it's not the full number of A/B bits - this was the longest I could get through without messing up completely (I think this was take 14!).

Be gentle with me ... (:)
I think you will turn out to be a natural for this instrument as shown by the "feel" and flow of your playing at this stage. Great. 
Mike
P.S.  You think take 14 is a lot...?!...

Dave F

« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »

I thought you were great and good choice of tune for your first posting.
Some blokes have a midlife crisis and ride off into the sunset on a Harley. I stayed at home, bought a melodeon and learned to play morris tunes!

troman

« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55:30 PM »

Now been playing for nearly 2 years and finally managed to video something!

http://youtu.be/AMfXIX4T1Gk

Hopefully will tackle TOTM sometime this year.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

Trevor
West Sussex, UK

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2014, 03:56:48 PM »

Now been playing for nearly 2 years and finally managed to video something!

http://youtu.be/AMfXIX4T1Gk

Hopefully will tackle TOTM sometime this year.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor
Very nice. Smoothly played, and nice bellows control.  More than that, I enjoyed it!
Mike  :||:

troman

« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:44 AM »

Thanks Mike.
Trevor
West Sussex, UK

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2014, 08:59:14 PM »

Anyway, this is my first attempt at the Morris tune Monks March:

Be gentle with me ... (:)

I haven't been paying proper attention to the forum lately and I missed your post at the time Nigel, sorry! Everything that has been said about your recording is spot on and I presume you play/have played other instruments before because if you started music as a new pastime last October then your progress is quite simply staggering! Even if you've played other things for years your melodeon playing remains impressive in such a short period of time, well done! I don't think you'll be allowed to stay in the playpen for too long.  :D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »

Thank you all for the great feedback - it has boosted my confidence no end. It is tricky when you're practicing alone to know what sort of progress is being made. Yes, Pete, I learnt the piano as a kid so can read music and have a decent understanding of harmony, so this has helped (:) The best part is , I'm really enjoying music again. Onwards and upwards... N

rebecca

« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »

I know that tune as Quaker song about George Fo

rebecca

« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

there is a letter on my keyboard that does not work....guess which one!

russell

« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »

Ok, here's my first upload! I've been playing for just over 2 months now, and this is my recording of Princess Royal http://youtu.be/e0P54AnSUO0

There are a few mistakes in there, but it's hard to get it right the whole way through when the camera is recording! Why is it so much more difficult??

russell

« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »

I thought I'd upload another one to get as much advice as possible; here's Speed the Plough http://youtu.be/A9KuOkv1BMI

A few more mistakes in this one than the last, so if anyone's got any pointers for me that'd be much appreciated

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #213 on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »

Ok, here's my first upload! I've been playing for just over 2 months now, and this is my recording of Princess Royal http://youtu.be/e0P54AnSUO0
Well done, russell - very impressed.  I have only been learning a few months more than you so don't feel qualified to offer advice, other than keep on doing what you're doing - it's obviously working!  (:) Cheers. N

arty

« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »

I thought I'd upload another one to get as much advice as possible; here's Speed the Plough http://youtu.be/A9KuOkv1BMI

A few more mistakes in this one than the last, so if anyone's got any pointers for me that'd be much appreciated

As I have been playing for less than 2 years, I don't feel experienced enough to give you advice but I do feel qualified to give you encouragement. Listening to both your videos, Princess Royal and Speed the Plough, I'd say you are doing amazingly well in such a short time! Yes of course there are the odd bad notes and hesitations - but, after just two months??? bloody good I'd say!!!

One thing you have to be careful of though, is playing these tunes over and over again, making the same mistakes. What you actually do is teach yourself the mistakes and firmly print them in your muscle memory. Then it's twice as hard to put right! My only advice to you, is to practice them  v e r y   s l o w l y and don't get up to full speed until you can play them perfectly at the slow speed. Also, if there are phrases which you find difficult, just practice those sections s l o w l y over and over again until you get them right and then go back to the beginning and play it right through. 

Something I notice, ( and this where I am not qualified to give advice ), is that your right hand looks very cramped. I don't know that this is a good position for your hand but it may be caused by the fact that you are sitting on a chair which has arms. Hopefully someone here, who is more knowledgeable than me, can advise you.

Happy playing!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

russell_w_b

« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

Hello folks,

New boy here...  I've just picked up the melodeon after an interregnum of about fifteen years (and I didn't play it much then) and, now that there's this wonderful resource called t'Internet with fora and feedback and YouTube, I thought I'd have a bash at 'Speed The Plough' - a tune I hadn't heard of until I saw it on here last week.  I'm going to stick at it now my interest has been revived, and I hope I can only get better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBB7gNIakLc

All comments and criticisms appreciated. :)
--

Regds,

R.
--

Regds,

R.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2014, 06:34:27 AM »

Hi russel_w_b and welcome!

Very nicely done - good steady rhythm. As a relative newbie myself, one thing I have benefitted from is playing staccato and making sure I lift my fingers off the buttons each time rather than holding down a button and dragging the bellows. Just an observation. I think you'll do well. Cheers. N

arty

« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2014, 07:40:10 AM »

Hello folks,

New boy here...  I've just picked up the melodeon after an interregnum of about fifteen years (and I didn't play it much then) and, now that there's this wonderful resource called t'Internet with fora and feedback and YouTube, I thought I'd have a bash at 'Speed The Plough' - a tune I hadn't heard of until I saw it on here last week.  I'm going to stick at it now my interest has been revived, and I hope I can only get better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBB7gNIakLc

All comments and criticisms appreciated. :)
--

Regds,

R.

That's brilliant! Well, you're not going to have any problem are you -  just practice every day, read melodeon.net every day and you will soon be flying. The melodeon is a wonderful instrument and this whole melodeon.net world is like a big family. You will find this site to be a huge source of learning, support, information and the worst limericks you have ever read in your life! Enjoy....

Sorry to hear about your 'interregnum' - I hope you are over that now  ;)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

russell_w_b

« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2014, 07:52:29 AM »

Sorry to hear about your 'interregnum' - I hope you are over that now  ;)

Thanks, Arty: I certainly am!  :D  The instruments got shoved in the boxroom as the kids grew up and other interests took over.  Same with the brass band I play with - I dropped out of that for ten years or so and I'm not long back to it (trombone).  But playing always gives me a lift and I feel better for it.

I'll do as you advise.   (:)

--

Regds,

R.

russell_w_b

« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »

Hi russel_w_b and welcome!

one thing I have benefitted from is playing staccato and making sure I lift my fingers off the buttons each time rather than holding down a button and dragging the bellows.

Thanks, Nigel.

One thing I noticed too was my R/H little finger was curled back.  I use it on some pieces I play to get 'up there', but perhaps I should've had it on standby with the others, to spread the fingering out a bit.  I'll try to develop better finger control rhather than using the bellows, as you suggest.
--

Regds,

R.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal