Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174179 times)

arty

Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »

Sorry to hear about your 'interregnum' - I hope you are over that now  ;)

Thanks, Arty: I certainly am!  :D  The instruments got shoved in the boxroom as the kids grew up and other interests took over.  Same with the brass band I play with - I dropped out of that for ten years or so and I'm not long back to it (trombone).  But playing always gives me a lift and I feel better for it.

I'll do as you advise.   (:)

Just a little inspiration for you, since you play the melodeon and the saquebout(!)..... Seriously, I love this and thought you would too. A shame you couldn't possibly play both at the same time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liy9zQS-rxk&list=UUtq4i3K8ZH5wCDOtklRCntg&index=5
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

russell_w_b

« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »

Just a little inspiration for you, since you play the melodeon and the saquebout(!)...

Fantastic.   (:)  Thanks for the link.  That sackbuttist seemed to be putting most of the work in towards the end there!  I dabble on the PA too.  Something else I need to practice.  ::)
--

Regds,

R.

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

Hello! Beginner and Newbie alert!

Here is my version of this month's TOTM, William and Nancy. I was going to post it in the TOTM section but everyone seems incredibly good, but then I found this bit, so here I am! Link here:

http://youtu.be/O-I_jKbrG-A

It's my first go at YouTube so apologies for wonkyness.
I've been playing for nine months (eight when I recorded this), and I love it! Still working on less wobble on the r/h end, and as for the melodeon face!  :-[ One wrong note was the least I could get it down to after many takes.  (:) Would love to hear your thoughts, tips etc.

Thanks,
Vicky.

G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »

Here is my version of this month's TOTM, William and Nancy. I was going to post it in the TOTM section but everyone seems incredibly good, but then I found this bit, so here I am! Link here:

I've been playing for nine months (eight when I recorded this), and I love it! Still working on less wobble on the r/h end, and as for the melodeon face!  :-[ One wrong note was the least I could get it down to after many takes.  (:) Would love to hear your thoughts, tips etc.

Thanks,
Vicky.

Post it in the main ToTM thread, there is an awful lot to admire in that for an 8 month old, you are even perfecting the melodeon face  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:53:28 PM by Lester »

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »

Very respectable. Only comment is that you look a bit tense, but that's to be expected. Nice work.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »

Thanks,
Vicky.

Hi Vicky,

That's excellent progress for eight months! 

Very well done and thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed it!

Les

(:)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »

Well done, Vicky - very nice indeed.  I would say that you could have posted that in the main TOTM without any need to be worried.  I'm only a few months ahead of you in the learning front, so my only observation is that as a Morris tune, I would watch the speed a bit - you were playing a bit fast (IMHO).  Overall, I think you should be very pleased with your progress.  Cheers.  Nigel
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:04:15 PM by nigelr »
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »

Very good !

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »

Well played noob!  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »

What Lester and the others said. Promote yourself to ToTM immediately!

Yes, a bit fast for Morris by the end, but I've seen some Morris teams dance that fast.

Also it speeds up, but given the combination of nerves, excitement and lack of playing experience that's not surprising.
But I speed up too sometimes, and I've got no excuse!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Suppards

• Good talker
  • Old enough to know better. Daft enough not to care
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »

This might be a daft question Anahata, but is there an average tempo for a morris tune? 

When I asked someone about the right speed for a tune (I've been learning for 7 months) I was told that the right tempo was the one where I could play it with no mistakes!  But it would be good to know what kind of tempo I should be aiming for.
Steve
North Yorkshire, UK

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »

This might be a daft question Anahata, but is there an average tempo for a morris tune? 

When I asked someone about the right speed for a tune (I've been learning for 7 months) I was told that the right tempo was the one where I could play it with no mistakes!  But it would be good to know what kind of tempo I should be aiming for.

The answer to your question 'is there an average tempo for a morris tune?' is NO

The speed varies between traditions, the specific morris sides interpretation of the dance and the age of the dancers (spookily the speed seems to increase as the dancers age as it's easier to dance quickly than stay in the air for a long time). So when someone says the speed is not right it is fairly subjective unless it is very fast or very slow.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2014, 08:48:06 PM »

I'm not sure that "average" is a useful metric for anything in this context, for all the reasons Lester said.

it would be good to know what kind of tempo I should be aiming for.

Watching lots of morris teams dancing (better still, learning to play for dancers alongside someone more experienced) is the best way to find out.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »

quote:

If you  play to the feet of the lead dancer/ foreman/ best dancer in the side you go far wrong

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »

I'd like to thank Lester, Malcolmbebb, Daddy Long Les, Nigelr, sqwzboxstudent, Pete Dunk and Anahata for all your kind words and advice. I definitely agree with the comments about being tense, hoping this will wear off as time goes on! As a complete beginner I have no idea how fast I should be going, so appreciate all the comments about tempo - have booked on to one of the playing for dance modules at Witney so hopefully this will help. And Anahata, I hadn't even noticed I was speeding up, I'm sure that was just a race to get to the end without slipping up!  (:)

I'm really enjoying learning, and a big part of that is you helpful people and this excellent forum, which has become an indispensible source of supportive shared learning for those of us not brave enough to play in public yet! Cheers!  :D Vicky.
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »

quote:

If you  play to the feet of the lead dancer/ foreman/ best dancer in the side you go far wrong

george

" Go far wrong " George ?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »

george

" Go far wrong " George ?

Perfectly good English, in common usage in Chez Bailey.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:14 AM »

Ah ha,
So George meant what he said then. If so, I don't agree, surely the foreman / Squire sets the tempo and the musician keeps to it.....ish. :D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »

I'm guessing George meant...

If you  play to the feet of the lead dancer/ foreman/ best dancer in the side you *won't* go far wrong

exiletaff

« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »

I joined a Morris side just after I started on the melodeon about 16 months ago and they have been wonderfully supportive. As for speed of playing I watch the dancers and our lead concertina player, If I get 'the look  >:(  ' from her I know I've done something wrong.
Enjoying learning more each day and have signed up for the Basics at Witney (my first tutorials), staying in the premier Inn.
Look forward to learning a lot and meeting people.

Alun
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal