Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174176 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #240 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »

I'm guessing George meant...

If you  play to the feet of the lead dancer/ foreman/ best dancer in the side you *won't* go far wrong

;)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Boyen

• Regular debater
  • C#/D DINNIII
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »

I'm playing 1 year and a little bit right now, decided to record one of the first tunes I learned, back then it was way too hard for me but I persisted, now... there's room for improvement and feel free to give pointers but I've come a long way that for sure.
http://youtu.be/rF-RyRN4Dck

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
« Reply #242 on: December 22, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »

I'm playing 1 year and a little bit right now, decided to record one of the first tunes I learned, back then it was way too hard for me but I persisted, now... there's room for improvement and feel free to give pointers but I've come a long way that for sure.

Really nice!
Weltmeister GC MMM, Hohner "Morgane" GC, Paolo Soprani 19 button 3 Voice AD, Castagnari "Lilly" DG, ~1930's Hohner "1926 Philadelphia Grand Prix" Eb/B, ~1930's Hohner one row "A", 1950's Hohner Club II CF (Declubbed), 1950's Hohner Erica GC

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #243 on: December 22, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »

Very nice, indeed! I like your Sharon Shannon machine gun triplets!

Grape Ape

« Reply #244 on: December 23, 2014, 12:01:37 AM »

I've been playing almost three years and can't play triplets anything close to that fast.  Your bellows control also looks amazing.  Have you started incorporating basses and chords yet?

Boyen

• Regular debater
  • C#/D DINNIII
« Reply #245 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »

Hey Grape, I think it's safe to say that bellows control has been a focus area for me. Before I even got my melodeon I was watching and analysing Steve's video on it.
My left hand only does the air button right now. I sometimes try (for instance Steve's drowsy Maggie video) but don't feel quite ready. It takes a bit of a different place in Irish music and I can't say that I understand it yet.

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #246 on: December 26, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »

That was very nice indeed.
I only hope I can someday come close to that!
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2015, 05:27:55 PM »

I recorded myself playing The Happy Wanderer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4w_Ge3dhhk&feature=youtu.be
Thanks be to the LORD for helping me acquire a Melodeon, and helping me play it.
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2015, 08:57:42 PM »

Got my first melodeon in spring 2013 after much helpful advice here. After some false starts and a lot of uncertainty, I've been making progress and playing every day for the last 6 weeks.  This is me playing the Winster Processional Morris Dance with a left hand arrangement I've bodged together as a proof of concept. No idea if it's "authentic" but it's helped my gain some confidence.

http://youtu.be/24I4je4bNd0

Any thoughts, advice or constructive criticism VERY welcome, I'm very much working in the dark with only Mally's book and John Kirkpatrick's DVD to help me...

What's not to like  (:)  Nice steady and consistent pace, good bellows control, good air button use, subtle bit of cross rowing at the end of the B music.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »

Wot Lester said - very nicely played.

Not a criticism, but a "next step" if you like - at the start of the B music, play those G and B notes on the G row so you can do a G chord. Then you'll run out of bellows, so do the next bar (F# and A) on pull, still on the G row - you'll get the right chord for free. The switch back to the D row. When you can do that you'll then be well in advance of about half the morris melodeon players I've heard!

I wouldn't say that to everyone, but you've already demonstrated enough competence to be worth pushing a little harder...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

JoeCooley

« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2015, 04:43:49 AM »

Got my first melodeon in spring 2013 after much helpful advice here. After some false starts and a lot of uncertainty, I've been making progress and playing every day for the last 6 weeks.  This is me playing the Winster Processional Morris Dance with a left hand arrangement I've bodged together as a proof of concept. No idea if it's "authentic" but it's helped my gain some confidence.

http://youtu.be/24I4je4bNd0

Any thoughts, advice or constructive criticism VERY welcome, I'm very much working in the dark with only Mally's book and John Kirkpatrick's DVD to help me...

Very, very nice.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #251 on: January 10, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »

I like the Em as a variation but being able to play the B melody over the G / D chords is much prettier...not to mention a good row-crossing exercise.

You really are thinking along the right lines. I'm impressed!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »

Just to follow up,  I've had a second go at this tune as per Anahata's suggestions:

http://youtu.be/zxJhvui8Sgw

Seriously messed with my head at first but getting there now! Musically this is much nicer, I reckon.

good stuff!
g
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

JoeCooley

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »

Remarkable progress for a year.
You hit all the notes, your speed is up there, and the oranaments dazzle.
But....
Sometimes, and this may be my personal preference, when
played too fast the tune sounds flat or hurried.

george garside

« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »

Having watched all the lovely tunes played on this thread by beginners,it was with great trepidation and after umpteen takes and fumblings, I  managed to play one. I didn't think I would be so nervous. Hope I have not embarrassed myself too much. A few months ago, I wouldn't have left my comfort zone(bedroom)to play for anyone,let alone post one on here,but all the encouragement and help that members of this forum give to each other, changed my mind.
I would most welcome any tips or hints that will help me to improve.

http://youtu.be/ApwMubQptx4

nice to see a trichord on here!.  Perhaps  playing it more as the song is sung  would make it feel a bit less hurried.  Try either singing or 'thinking' the words whilst playing.

It would also be good practice to try it in GDA and F!!

george (:)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:08:31 PM by george garside »

george garside

« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

There are advantages to learning to play on outside 2 rows for CGDAE   as this enables e flat keys to be played  on the inside 2 rows using the same scales. 5 scales th= 12 keys!  th Whilst doing this familiarise yourself with the 'alternative'  B and E notes.  The push E & B are particularly useful for bellows control when playing in A

Gradually familiarise yourself with  the other alternatives starting with F#  and C# on the inside row  before moving on to others

Keep in mind that you have only one G,D &A and  that the 2 B flats they are both in the same direction. Everything else you have in either .direction

There are scale charts on the ( linked to here) Button Box forum which is specifically BCC#

george

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »

Well done, Tuechter. It is daunting playing to a video camera and many of us feel that we play less well in such circumstances, but that was a very creditable first recording. There were places where the phrasing and tempo were a bit variable, which may have been due to nerves, but one way of overcoming that is to make sure you can hum or sing the tune. It has been said here before that you need to be able to hum or sing a tune in order to be able to play it well.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

I've done another tune, this time Winster Gallop (I do plan to work on tunes that don't have the word Winster in the title!)

http://youtu.be/iTZHC4W_pYU

Don't feel 100% confident about this yet but wanted to put it up to seek criticism / advice. Oh, and apologies for squeaky bass buttons and my phone going off at the end - oops.
Very nicely done.  For me, it's great to see your left hand position - this is something I continually struggle with and you are going to be well placed for the future.  Don't be disheartened if feedback drops off after your first few postings.  With your standard of playing, I suspect there will be many of us who can't think of much else to add (:)  I think you are doing brilliantly.  N
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

simonj

Re: Beginners Showcase! Orange in Bloom
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »

OK first upload, Hohner Pokerwork. Have been playing for about 10 weeks now. I play the guitar also, but very badly.

I have been faffing around trying to get my mic to work with my webcam, but gave up and recorded audio only. This is the second take, this one had only a few mistakes (that I know of!), so it will do. Apologies for the dodgy phrasing, tempo changes and general Hohner clackiness, plus I cut it short and missed the slows whilst the going was good. Any criticism will be gladly appreciated.

Orange in Bloom

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »

Pretty good after only ten weeks' playing, Simon.

I don't know whether you are playing Orange in Bloom just because it is a lovely tune or because you intend to play it for the Morris dance it accompanies. However, here are a couple of suggestions looking at it from the dance perspective, although they might also apply if you are just playing it as a good tune. Firstly, you played the tune in a rather staccato style. Try playing it more legato - it is a gentle lilting dance and tune. You might want to try playing it with that in mind. Secondly, and related to the first point, you cut very short the fourth note in bar 4 of the B music. This note should be twice as long as the other notes in the bar, so try holding it a bit longer. Otherwise, a nice fluent rendition. Well done!

Your Hohner sounds very clacky! It could be that the recording is exaggerating the effect, but you might want to ask your local fettler to have a look at it.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal