Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174150 times)

Sebastian

Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #320 on: August 02, 2015, 11:47:57 PM »

Hi, Wanderer!

I'm not entirely shure, this is still the right thread for you. ;D

"Du liegst mir am Herzen" is a waltz and would go well as a tune for the actual "Theme of the Month"-thread. I am not happy with your LH chords at 0:18, 0:25 (and 0:47, 0:54). You play the dominant chord (in this case C maj), but I think the subdominant (Bb maj) would sound better. I will try to record an alternative version tomorrow.

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #321 on: August 02, 2015, 11:56:24 PM »

Hi, Wanderer!

I'm not entirely shure, this is still the right thread for you. ;D

"Du liegst mir am Herzen" is a waltz and would go well as a tune for the actual "Theme of the Month"-thread. I am not happy with your LH chords at 0:18, 0:25 (and 0:47, 0:54). You play the dominant chord (in this case C maj), but I think the subdominant (Bb maj) would sound better. I will try to record an alternative version tomorrow.

Seconded, in both respects!

Guess I can sleep with good conscience as to having recommended a Club box... (:)

Best wishes - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2015, 12:22:53 AM »

Thanks!  ;D

I just tried playing Du Du Liegst Mir am Herzen with the Bb chord on the places you mentioned, and I noticed it sounded much better! I guess I need to work on the basses, as I think I am used to simply bashing them from playing the one row.
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2015, 09:21:30 PM »

Dear God, thank you for helping me get, and play the melodeon, and harmonica. I am extremely grateful for these gifts! Amen.

Today, I have recorded another tune on my Mundinger Diaton III! The tune is Take Me Out to the Ballgame, which is an American waltz.  ;D

Enjoy!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aTThBFN84M
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #324 on: August 03, 2015, 10:40:51 PM »

Bravo! I'd say, this is your apprentice-piece...!

"Theme of the month" is where it belongs!

Best wishes - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

Archaeobox

• New Starter
« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »

Hello All,
I am very new here (as in this is my first post and I can't even play yet). I got my first box off of (German) Ebay a few months back for a grand sum of £45 pounds including posting. It is an A/D little (I think) pre-pokerwork thing. My partner has been tidying the bits of it that needed doing but it was in pretty good nick and I will soon send it off to be tuned. Then I can attempt to learn to play it!  :|||:

Anyway, impatient to get going since this weekend I may finally have some time to try and start learning, I plan to borrow a box off of the other half and attempt to learn something. I've been trawling these threads for easy starter info and tunes (so many tunes!).

So I was wondering, can the beginner showcase be any tune that takes our fancy or only one that has been in TOTM?

Cheers!  :|glug

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #326 on: February 16, 2016, 03:20:17 PM »

So I was wondering, can the beginner showcase be any tune that takes our fancy or only one that has been in TOTM?

Anything you like, Oh! and welcome (:)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2016, 05:57:35 PM »

Yes, welcome! And i'm intrigued by the view in your photo  (:)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Archaeobox

• New Starter
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »

Thank you for your welcomes!

Excellent, I shall find a simple tune that takes my fancy and see what happens.

And i'm intrigued by the view in your photo  (:)

The picture was taken somewhere in the Canon del Atuel in Argentina; stunning place.

Łukasz Potoczny

• Tenor banjo player learning to play melodeon.
« Reply #329 on: June 16, 2016, 04:26:10 PM »

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, so I'd like to introduce myself a bit.
I've been playing music for some years now, my main instrument is tenor banjo. Recently got interested in melodeon and this forum was a huge help in choosing the box. First I was thinking about a two row in BC tuning because I didn't want an instrument without the option of chromatic playing. Then I stumbled upon Jack Delaguerre's page about the club system, got interested, and after some careful considerations and comparisons in late March got my hands on a first box - Club III BF. Last month got a nice bargain on a Club X and that's what I'm playing on the video.

Anyway that's my story and here's a bit crude version of one of my favourite scottishes - Mominette. I started to play the box about 2,5 months ago so all technical advice is welcome, especially considering my bass playing. ;)
Hope you enjoy it:
https://youtu.be/smewVz0IPzQ

One more thing:
In the second bar of A part you can hear G minor chord - that's my alteration of the bass mechanism, I've tweaked the rods a little bit and set up Cm/Gm and Am/Em instead of C7/G7 and F7/C7 on the two additional buttons. My main goal with accordion is to play bal folk repertoire, so I figured this is gonna be a useful change without altering the original 8 basses of the club system.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:36:24 PM by Łukasz Potoczny »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #330 on: June 16, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »

Nice sounding box. Playing is fluent too. Welcome to the learning zone.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

jorden

• Regular debater
« Reply #331 on: June 16, 2016, 07:47:01 PM »

Hi Łukasz,

Nice tune, makes me want to play more balfolk (and also the other videos on your channel), but once you start adding the basses the rhythmical clarity of the right hand melody that was there in the first part is lost a bit to my ear/taste.

Greetings,
Jorden

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »

Well, Jorden is right, but I have to say that's pretty amazing progress from being a complete beginner in two and a half months.

The best approach to getting the rhythm tight when the basses come in to to practice it slowly enough that you can make it really clockwork-precise (but don't lose the rhythmic accents). That's harder to do than it sounds, but when you have it right, bringing it back up to speed will really make it dance! And actually it doesn't have to go that fast - your video is already a bit quick for dancing a Schottische.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

jorden

• Regular debater
« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2016, 09:10:26 PM »

For some inspiration on playing scottishes on the melodeon (and something that would go nicely with The Plane Tree?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUU9KSAnDWw. Wim Claeys plays a scottische with an onomatopeic name...

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2016, 10:07:27 PM »

Very glad to have heard that. And glad that Beginners Showcase is alive and well.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Łukasz Potoczny

• Tenor banjo player learning to play melodeon.
« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2016, 10:25:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies and kind words!

Jorden: I thought about uploading something onto that channel just today, nothing spectacular there yet.  ;) Tune you posted is really cool! Never heard Wim Claeys before. Seems like a funny guy too, although I can't make a word of what he's saying - is it Dutch? Flemish?

Anahata:
That's really something coming from you, thank you. I am indeed a beginner with the melodeon but - as I mentioned - I've been playing other instruments for some years. I suppose it helps when you know what you're aiming for in terms of pulse and phrasing and are able to visualize it. On the other hand it's been quite a step outside a comfort zone for me to switch from a stringed instrument to playing keyboard PLUS basses PLUS working bellows properly. Trying to work on some independence there but it's still a long way...
Any particular exercises you'd recommend?

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #336 on: June 17, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »

Yes, welcome! And i'm intrigued by the view in your photo  (:)

So was I Malcolm, I thought it was Swanage. Welcome Archeobox.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

jorden

• Regular debater
« Reply #337 on: June 17, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »

It's in Flemish/Dutch: 'So we were playing some traditional scottisch in Brittany, all of a sudden some drunk Breton comes and goes 'no no no, that is all wrong, you should play the scottische de pouainouainouain. So the next thing we played, we called the scottische the pouainouainouain.'  ;)

Archaeobox

• New Starter
« Reply #338 on: June 21, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »

Hi Chaps,
I am still loitering around here but sadly not had the time to start learning melodeon yet due to work commitments and accidentally acquiring a hurdy-gurdy...  >:E

Slightly further afield than Swanage, though I love the steam railway there!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #339 on: June 21, 2016, 06:11:53 PM »

it's been quite a step outside a comfort zone for me to switch from a stringed instrument to playing keyboard PLUS basses PLUS working bellows properly. Trying to work on some independence there but it's still a long way...
Any particular exercises you'd recommend?

That kind of co-ordination comes with time and practice. I don't think there are any exercises that will speed up the process; just keep learning and playing tunes, but I did mention practising it slowly! Also if you can identify short sections of just a bar or two where you're having trouble, just play that short section repeatedly and slowly until it's automatic - the same thing you'd probably do with any other instrument.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal