Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174174 times)

Maggie

• Regular debater
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #340 on: September 30, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »

Aargh - I have been trying to record myself playing for the beginners bit.  Horribly humbling to see myself play!  Hey ho, can only get better. 
Bought my wee diato at the Chateau d'Ars festival last year.  It is a saltarelle elphique and I love it.  Will keep trying until I can manage to play a tune the whole way through without tangling my fingers.  Hopefull will post a video soon(ish)  :|||:
Saltarelle l'elfique 19+2 in G/C - and a wee Hohner Lilliput in D/G

La Creuse, France - the land of calm and of brillant traditional music 🎶

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #341 on: September 30, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »

Hi Maggie
I would encourage you to still post anything that starts ok and after a fumble restarts from that point. We all make loads of mistakes when recording, they do get fewer but it is the tension of recording that leads to them. As soon as you turn the recorder off you'll find you do a "perfect" version!
Mike  (:)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #342 on: September 30, 2016, 11:55:13 PM »

I agree. Don't stop the recording at the first slip, just get it out the way and continue to the end. There'll be lots of good bits. We can see past the imperfections.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #343 on: October 01, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »

Thank you both for the encouragement.  I will try again.  Now I have to work out how to post a video clip!   :|||:

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #344 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »

Thank you both for the encouragement.  I will try again.  Now I have to work out how to post a video clip!   :|||:

You need to post it first to YouTube (others are available) then post the link on melnet. A YouTube channel is free to set up.

playandteach

« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2016, 01:29:13 PM »

What I do is record it on a video camera, take the SD card out and slot it into the PC, crop the beginning and end on windows media player on the PC, and upload it to Youtube from there. There are cameras that allow you to upload directly to youtube, but you'll always have the walk to and from the camera on your video.
Sorry if this is teaching you how to suck eggs. A lot of people here (me too from time to time) use a separate device to record the audio and merge them in Media Player, but that may be a step for later.

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #346 on: October 01, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »

Okay.  I have taken your advice and posted a video on YouTube - complete with a few fumbles.  It is marked as unlisted because would be embarrassed to have it on public view.  The tune is La Valse des Landes.  Played through two times, the first time as I learned it and the second time with an attempt to change the rythme a bit.  Played on a Saltarelle Elphique 19+2 accordéon diatonique in G/C.  I have been learning for a year and very much welcome comments and tips to improve my playing.  I have an excellent teacher, called Anne Rivaud.  My French is not bad, but some of the nuances get a wee bit lost in translation!
Here is the link: https://youtu.be/wdwDgkfL4-E
Really enjoying the Forum, have lots of questions for future posts   :|||:

playandteach

« Reply #347 on: October 01, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »

I'll leave advice to others. But this is very nicely done. Good tempo throughout, good sounding box too, welcome to the forum.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #348 on: October 01, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »

Okay.  I have taken your advice and posted a video on YouTube - complete with a few fumbles.  It is marked as unlisted because would be embarrassed to have it on public view.  The tune is La Valse des Landes.  Played through two times, the first time as I learned it and the second time with an attempt to change the rythme a bit.  Played on a Saltarelle Elphique 19+2 accordéon diatonique in G/C.  I have been learning for a year and very much welcome comments and tips to improve my playing.  I have an excellent teacher, called Anne Rivaud.  My French is not bad, but some of the nuances get a wee bit lost in translation!
Here is the link: https://youtu.be/wdwDgkfL4-E
Really enjoying the Forum, have lots of questions for future posts   :|||:
Great stuff! For one year in that's well ahead. No advice to offer. Your timing is very good indeed and a good indicator for the future...smooth use of cross rowing without rushing of the sequences...nice contrasts of smooth and shortened notes and a good feel for the tune. Plus the flow of the video was ok and the 'fumbles' in my view didn't actually detract.
Look forward to more.
Mike

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #349 on: October 02, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »

Thanks for the kind words.  Being retired, I have the luxury of time and aim to practice for at least an hour each day.  The endless repetitions are starting to work.

I am on a high today because last night I played - for the first time - for a Bal Traditionel in La Souterraine.  It was great!  What a speed they play for dancing, especially the bourrées.  For some tunes, I played right hand only to keep up and that worked okay.  It was totally different - couldn't hear my box and needed to keep looking to check that my fingers were on the right buttons.
My next goal is to play faster!
Maggie 😅

playandteach

« Reply #350 on: October 02, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »

Well that's more than I've  managed in a longer time scale. I also find it harder without the left hand.

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #351 on: October 02, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »

I have the good fortune to have met some very generous and encouraging musicians.  It is sure that I made lots of mistakes, but sitting between two excellent accordéonistes, my bum notes were well hidden.

As a left-hander, it took me a long time to reduce my bass domination.  Was very clumsy with the right hand to start with, so resting the left hand seems to allow my right to function better. 

Luke Hillman

• MAD hatter
  • Good talker
  • Berkeley, CA
    • Anglo Piano
« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2016, 04:49:44 AM »

Greetings from Berkeley, California!

I had been playing anglo concertina for my local morris side for about half a year when I decided I needed something with louder bass notes to make things more danceable in the rare and nerve-wracking event of being the only musician at a gig. So at the end of May this year I got a lightly-used Pokerwork from someone on this very forum (thanks!) and have been noodling around on it since.

I've just posted two non-morris tunes I've been working on:
  • Lord of the Dance, with harmony as close as I could get to what I remember from church
  • The Halsway Schottische, by Nigel Eaton, as arranged by Mcgrooger (whom I've never met, but whose recordings I listen to constantly)
I realize my tempo is all over the place, which I blame partially on playing in front of the camera, and partially on being momentarily free from the shackles of morris tempos  ;D

Feedback welcome.

Luke

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2016, 08:12:01 AM »

Tempo seemed solid to me. The Scottische is very danceable.  You might try playing Lord of the Dance slower if you want more of a hymn like feel to it, but that's a personal preference, not a criticism.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2016, 09:19:22 AM »

Well played and welcome to the forum. You may soon find that you have more melodeons than chickens.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #355 on: October 28, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »

Greetings from Berkeley, California!

I had been playing anglo concertina for my local morris side for about half a year when I decided I needed something with louder bass notes to make things more danceable in the rare and nerve-wracking event of being the only musician at a gig. So at the end of May this year I got a lightly-used Pokerwork from someone on this very forum (thanks!) and have been noodling around on it since.

I've just posted two non-morris tunes I've been working on:
  • Lord of the Dance, with harmony as close as I could get to what I remember from church
  • The Halsway Schottische, by Nigel Eaton, as arranged by Mcgrooger (whom I've never met, but whose recordings I listen to constantly)
I realize my tempo is all over the place, which I blame partially on playing in front of the camera, and partially on being momentarily free from the shackles of morris tempos  ;D

Feedback welcome.

Luke
I really enjoyed your playing. A great start and I am sure we'll see you go from strength to strength!
Mike

Luke Hillman

• MAD hatter
  • Good talker
  • Berkeley, CA
    • Anglo Piano
« Reply #356 on: October 28, 2016, 04:14:51 PM »

Tempo seemed solid to me. The Scottische is very danceable.  You might try playing Lord of the Dance slower if you want more of a hymn like feel to it, but that's a personal preference, not a criticism.
Thanks Theo! Next step is singing along.

Well played and welcome to the forum. You may soon find that you have more melodeons than chickens.
You know, I never would have guessed, but chickens apparently find melodeon music quite agreeable:

I really enjoyed your playing. A great start and I am sure we'll see you go from strength to strength!
Mike
Many thanks Mike! Looking forward to learning some great tunes-of-the-month.

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #357 on: March 02, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »

I have the good fortune to have met some very generous and encouraging musicians.  It is sure that I made lots of mistakes, but sitting between two excellent accordéonistes, my bum notes were well hidden.

As a left-hander, it took me a long time to reduce my bass domination.  Was very clumsy with the right hand to start with, so resting the left hand seems to allow my right to function better.

Slightly off topic, but in my opinion, us left handers, with the melodeon the right way round, are at an advantage. As far as I'm concerned bellows control is the more important that getting all the notes right, and that's controlled with the left hand.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »

Slightly off topic, but in my opinion, us left handers, with the melodeon the right way round, are at an advantage. As far as I'm concerned bellows control is the more important that getting all the notes right, and that's controlled with the left hand.
That's really interesting - I hadn't thought about that before. I am mostly left-handed, particularly in hand-writing, but I play the melodeon the conventional way round and bellows control has just about always come naturally to me.

Also, when playing the anglo concertina sitting down, the bellows action is most comfortable and natural when waggling the LH end and the RH end static across my thigh. This is contrary to most people, I think (judging by my concertina-playing friends and youtube videos). I have always put my preference down to the fact that I play the melodeon and it is the LH end which waggles. But maybe there is an aspect of left-handedness going on too.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #359 on: March 07, 2017, 09:41:53 AM »

I think you are right, Huw and Steve. As another person who is predominantly left-handed but plays the melodeon right-handed, I have long been aware that my left-handedness together with the use of four fingers on the basses makes more imaginative bass lines easier to play. It should also help me to refine my bellows control, but I'm not sure that it does. I have been obsessing recently about my over-vigorous use of the bellows, but I saw John Kirkpatrick in concert a few days ago and his use of the bellows is every bit as vigorous as mine, so perhaps those who insist that bellows movements should be minimal are merely advocating one particular style rather than asserting best practice.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal