Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174757 times)

Peter Ellison

• The Untouchables
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #360 on: July 08, 2017, 06:11:12 PM »

After a sudden rush of blood to the head I've decided to post my first video. It's The Sussex Cotillion, a tune I've just learnt and I'm planning to pair it with Princess Royal. Typically, I played it perfectly beforehand but as soon as I started recording, I fumbled in the middle. I also rushed a bit in places.

https://youtu.be/BlklrVXj0Dg

Hope you like it.
Hohner Pokerwork G/D, Dino Baffetti Binci G/D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #361 on: July 08, 2017, 06:23:27 PM »

After a sudden rush of blood to the head I've decided to post my first video. It's The Sussex Cotillion, a tune I've just learnt and I'm planning to pair it with Princess Royal. Typically, I played it perfectly beforehand but as soon as I started recording, I fumbled in the middle. I also rushed a bit in places.

Hope you like it.

For a first video that is really good  (:)

Only observation is that you suffer from the standard beginner/first video problem of seeming to be in a rush to get to the end  ;)

Peter Ellison

• The Untouchables
« Reply #362 on: July 08, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »

Thanks Lester. Yes - I was really nervous and definitely rushed it. I play for a morris side and that usually keeps my tempo steady and under control. I think the absence of bells put me off!
Hohner Pokerwork G/D, Dino Baffetti Binci G/D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #363 on: July 08, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »

Thanks Lester. Yes - I was really nervous and definitely rushed it. I play for a morris side and that usually keeps my tempo steady and under control. I think the absence of bells put me off!

:D

Amanda

« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2017, 12:49:01 AM »

Alright, I'm being brave and most my first video. :) Here is a quick go at Bluemont Waltz, appreciate your feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyHlSGImAg
Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau l'accordéon.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2017, 01:30:55 AM »

Alright, I'm being brave and most my first video. :) Here is a quick go at Bluemont Waltz, appreciate your feedback.

Very nicely done, bravo.  (:)

A lovely tune but not one to accompany with two basses. I use D, A, E, F#m and Bm chords for it... You could get one of M. Sagné's 12-bass left-hand ends to make it easier though.

Amanda

« Reply #366 on: November 21, 2017, 01:36:26 AM »

Very nicely done, bravo.  (:)

A lovely tune but not one to accompany with two basses. I use D, A, E, F#m and Bm chords for it... You could get one of M. Sagné's 12-bass left-hand ends to make it easier though.

Thank you, I am considering doing so. I played it earlier accompanied with guitar from a family member, and it sounded a lot better with a rhythm, and agree that base would add a lot.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #367 on: November 21, 2017, 02:30:50 AM »

Nicely played! I quite like the bits of harmony in there. Maybe more of that would help offset the lack of bass chords if you feel it needs it.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Amanda

« Reply #368 on: November 21, 2017, 02:43:18 AM »

Nicely played! I quite like the bits of harmony in there. Maybe more of that would help offset the lack of bass chords if you feel it needs it.

Thanks Jesse! I might work on doing some more of that then and see how it turns out.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #369 on: November 21, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »

Hope you like it.
I think it is excellent playing. Be nice to see your hands, though!
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #370 on: November 21, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyHlSGImAg
Very listenable indeed. Articulate. Nice sounding box too.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #371 on: December 04, 2017, 05:55:24 PM »

The Sussex Cotillion seemed popular so I've decided to try and murder it in a recording.
https://youtu.be/CM2uaIcZS80

Contains a few fumbles that sound bad, a fumble or two that sound good (e.g., 0:17) and severe air valve neglect.
If you notice more things I'm doing wrong, please share :)
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

arty

« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »

The Sussex Cotillion

I really enjoyed that. I have no criticisms at all, in fact it would be easy to list the good things.

It is nice to see that you are holding the box well, your thumb on the edge of the finger board, (you'll be glad that you learnt to do that later, if you play tunes that require you to push buttons with your thumb), using all four fingers on the basses, (you'll be glad you learnt that if ever you move to a 12 or 18 bass instrument), your fingers are held nice and close to the buttons, ready to play, you have a strong, steady sense of rhythm, your melodeon has a lovely tone.......what's not to like?
Well done....next tune??? !!!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #373 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »

Well done....next tune??? !!!
Thanks!
I'm currently working on something simple for the Theme of The Month.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Sebastian

« Reply #374 on: December 06, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »

If you notice more things I'm doing wrong, please share :)
It's not something you are doing wrong, but more a matter of different preferences. If you change the note only by reversing the bellows direction, I would prefer to lift the melody button shortly between the two notes. But you are, of course, free to play, what you pleases the most.

Gwen

• New Starter
« Reply #375 on: January 25, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »

What a brilliant idea. Well done. Should encourage a lot of people who are struggling to get to grips with this amazing instrument!

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »

OK, here's my first attempt at a video. I give you Uncle Bernard's Polka - https://youtu.be/T-QWg86tBuU

This is the first time I've tried to record myself playing a tune and it took about 20 takes to get a complete runthrough without unrecoverable errors. :( The sound is harsh, and my rhythm is nowhere near as solid as I'd like it to be. Camera-induced "stage fright" perhaps. :-[ I am still working on how to consistently get it to sound like a light, bouncy dance tune and not a clumsy lurching thing.

But anyway, this is where I am at after just under three months of playing the melodeon. I have some background in guitar, piano, bass, etc., and I'm pretty familiar with music theory.

I learned the tune out of Mally's absolute beginners book. A few of the row crossings seemed musically unnecessary to me but I learned the fingering as shown. Presumably they are there to provide practice opportunities in crossing to the D row.

Helpful critiques are welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:29:13 PM by Jesse Smith »
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #377 on: January 29, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »

OK, here's my first attempt at a video. I give you Uncle Bernard's Polka - https://youtu.be/ZfPDBLGZZqk

That is pretty fine playing for 3 months in Jessie. Nothing much needs changing other than practice, practice etc.

One small point, it would be better if you did not rotate the bellows when changing from push to pull and vice versa. When you rotate the bellows instead of just changing direction it delays the change in air pressure and thus delays the change of note.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #378 on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »

I learned the tune out of Mally's absolute beginners book. A few of the row crossings seemed musically unnecessary to me but I learned the fingering as shown. Presumably they are there to provide practice opportunities in crossing to the D row.

I found a lot of the perhaps unnecessary suggestions in the book were really lessons couched under the guise of preference; you'll get better at evening the notes out in those runs as time goes on, and I solve (what I feel are) melody/bass conflicts with tunes using those 'half diamond' runs all the time.

I think you're doing great for 3 months! Do watch that rotation though, like Lester says.

george garside

« Reply #379 on: January 30, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »

Well done Jesse!.   To add to Lesters very valid point on bellows reversals it may help if you lengthen the strap so that the body of the box sits on your left knee . That would  bring the bellows clear of your leg so they could be played most of the time in a fan shape i.e. the bottom more closed than the top.  This would help to make the reversals more positive.  It also helps to keep the bellows as 'tight' as possible, depending on the particular part of the particular tune  but  that  will take time   as your skills at using the air button to control the amount of bellows opening  develops

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal