Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174795 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »

Thanks, I will have to work on the bellows rotation. It's certainly not something I'm consciously doing so I think I just need to put some focused attention on it. I remember "Daddy Long Les" mentioning you noted the same thing in his early playing, Lester, so I guess this is a fairly common beginner issue.

I started off with the box on my left leg but found it awkward and not ergonomic with my body twisted to the left and arm away from the body. After watching videos of John Spiers and Anahata, among others, who wedge the box into their right thigh, I decided to give that a try and found it more comfortable. But i know what you mean about the bellows having a clearer path on the left. Maybe I'll try it again now that I'm a bit more experienced.

I just realized the video image cuts out for the last ten seconds. No idea why my editing software did that!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:27:27 PM by Jesse Smith »
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #381 on: January 31, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »

I uploaded a fixed version without the video cutting out (at least I hope it's fixed; I'm still getting the hang of this recording business) at https://youtu.be/T-QWg86tBuU

What software are folks using to record their TotM videos? I'm currently using OpenShot Video Editor to trim the start and end and add titles but I'm not completely happy with it.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Sebastian

« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »

What software are folks using to record their TotM videos?
Window$ Live Movie Maker. Came with my computer. Does the job.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2018, 11:30:13 PM »

Window$ Live Movie Maker. Came with my computer. Does the job.

I've seen a lot of people using that, but I don't think it is available for Windows 10.

Sebastian

« Reply #384 on: February 01, 2018, 12:25:38 AM »

I've seen a lot of people using that, but I don't think it is available for Windows 10.
The software is now part of the "Windows Essentials" pack, which you can download (free of cost) and install (even only selected parts like the Movie Maker) under Windows 10. (But maybe some W10 user here may know about a better alternative.)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #385 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:25 AM »

The software is now part of the "Windows Essentials" pack, which you can download (free of cost) and install (even only selected parts like the Movie Maker) under Windows 10. (But maybe some W10 user here may know about a better alternative.)
I looked for it but: "As of January 10, 2017, Windows Essentials 2012 is no longer supported on Windows 10, and is unavailable for download."

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #386 on: February 01, 2018, 12:56:29 AM »

Absolutely correct, Windows Essentials has been discontinued for reasons unknown to me.

If you are looking for a free and very potent video editing tool, I would recommend to have a look at https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/ . It will most definitely demand a bit of learning the software but it can fulfil just about everything you would want to do when producing a documentation about your melodeon learning process.  ;D :||:

Edit: Oh and I forgot to note that the basic software is free after you register on their website.

Sebastian

« Reply #387 on: February 01, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »

I looked for it but: "As of January 10, 2017, Windows Essentials 2012 is no longer supported on Windows 10, and is unavailable for download."
Oh, sorry! Clearly, I wasn't up to date.  :|bl

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #388 on: February 01, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »

There are some recommendations here. I use Video pad and I used to use VSDC. I get on best with Video pad, if you use the free version, you have to reinstall it every so often. here used to be a work around, but it seems to have gone.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #389 on: April 26, 2018, 07:47:45 PM »

I was learning the Bampton version of Bonny Green Garters from Mally's book and since May Day is fast approaching, I thought I would learn the Headington version as well and try to get it up to performance standard. I've been playing for almost six months so I'm not sure I'm exactly a beginner anymore, but I didn't really know where else to post this. (Certainly it's not worth it's own thread.)

To follow up on the comments above regarding video editing, I switched to using Kdenlive for this one and it worked quite well.

Bonny Green Garters, constructive critique welcome (I know Lester will be along to tell me not to waggle the bass end again ;D ):
https://youtu.be/psMPbagNqQA
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:32:25 PM by Jesse Smith »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #390 on: April 26, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »

... I've been playing for almost six months so I'm not sure I'm exactly a beginner anymore, but I didn't really know where else to post this. (Certainly it's not worth it's own thread.)

This is probably the place you want, if your feeling more confident.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/board,9.0.html
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

tiny

« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:27 PM »

I was learning the Bampton version of Bonny Green Garters from Mally's book and since May Day is fast approaching, I thought I would learn the Headington version as well and try to get it up to performance standard. I've been playing for almost six months so I'm not sure I'm exactly a beginner anymore, but I didn't really know where else to post this. (Certainly it's not worth it's own thread.)

To follow up on the comments above regarding video editing, I switched to using Kdenlive for this one and it worked quite well.

Bonny Green Garters, constructive critique welcome (I know George will be along to tell me not to waggle the bass end again ;D ):
https://youtu.be/psMPbagNqQA
[/I was learning the Bampton version of Bonny Green Garters from Mally's book and since May Day is fast approaching, I thought I would learn the Headington versioquote]

I think this is fab for the amount of time you have been playing, good dancing speed and lift  to go with it. :)
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

tiny

« Reply #392 on: April 26, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »

Shame I can never remember how to use the quote....apologies

I thought your playing was fab, 6 months is a very short time to be playing, and with controlled speed and lift, very danceable I thought.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #393 on: April 26, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »

Shame I can never remember how to use the quote....apologies

I thought your playing was fab, 6 months is a very short time to be playing, and with controlled speed and lift, very danceable I thought.

Just click on quote and then put your comment right at the bottom

I agree. Jesse is coming on great.
Greg Smith

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #394 on: April 27, 2018, 01:58:42 AM »

Thank you Lizzy and Greg, very kind of you to say. "Lift" is still something very nebulous to me, so if I managed to express a little of it, I'm pleased enough! I won't tell you how many takes there were before the one I finally kept (which still has a few flubs that annoy me)!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:34:19 AM by Jesse Smith »

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #395 on: April 27, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »

I won't tell you how many takes there were before the one I finally kept (which still has a few flubs that annoy me)!
If you're anything like me, it may be in the dozens, don't worry about that.
Also I will just repeat what everyone has told me - you're the only one who notices your flubs. I still don't believe them when they're talking about me, but the fact that I'm a lost cause doesn't mean that you don't have a chance. :)

And regarding your playing, I really enjoyed it!
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Ribs

« Reply #396 on: May 22, 2018, 01:42:18 AM »

Hey everyone! I've been playing for a few days past three months now, and I thought it was time that I posted a recording on here for some constructive criticism. This is my attempt at "Blow the Man Down". As a disclaimer, I had a few beers to work up the courage to post this, so that accounts for a bit of the timing and bellows control issues that I had lol. I appreciate any advice you guys might have. I hope you can manage to enjoy it despite my struggles!

[Also, if you'll allow me to shamelessly plug myself here, anyone who might be interested in the banjo might think about giving my video of "Soldier's Joy" a listen  ;D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FqTtQGSyuw

george garside

« Reply #397 on: May 22, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »

Hi Ribs, not bad atall  after only 3 months playing the box.  By way of constructive suggestions I would sugest that:

1. slow the whole thing down  to either singing speed ( it is after all a song) or as you are playing it as a 3/4 slow it down to waltz speed .
 2. try to get the hang of varying bellows pressure (and pull)  to highlight individual notes here and there .  The only volume (dynamics) control you have is by varying bellows pressure  aand not by how you press the buttons.  Try to play the bulk of a tune at around mid volume (pressure) so that you can go louder or quieter as required.

3. Playing a tune slowly or even very slowly enables details such as dynamics  and phrasing ( leaving gaps between notes like punctuation in the written word)  to be sorted  after which the tune can gradually be brought up to  the desired speed - but never too fast!

hope this helps

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #398 on: May 22, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »

That sounds great Ribs! I think that is better than where I was at three months. I agree entirely with George. Try slowing it down a bit and get a bit more variation into how you play the bass rhythm so it's not quite so mechanical sounding.

You might also want to change to the C chord in a few places. That will probably require you to cross over to the C row in order to get the push notes, but I see you're already doing that a little anyway.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #399 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »

Very secure. Well done for having the courage to get the first one over with, and successfully too.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal