Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Showcase!  (Read 174189 times)

Peadar

Re: Beginners Showcase!
« Reply #420 on: May 15, 2019, 11:24:07 PM »

Taking the Dorset 4 hand reel to new heights.....the top of Beinn Laomainn to be precise.

https://youtu.be/EZWy9IW_r7E

I must practice harder. And get a phone with a better camera.

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2019, 07:21:43 AM »

Good to see this thread kept alive. Nothing wrong with the playing either.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Peadar

« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »

Good to see this thread kept alive. Nothing wrong with the playing either.

Thank you. (:) First Munro of the year too !

Kon

• Regular debater
« Reply #423 on: July 23, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »

Hi, I wanted to share a first recording on here.

This is "Valse à Ollu" from a tab by Bernard Loffet which playandteach sent me, which is the third tune I've learned now and the one I'm most enjoying playing.

https://youtu.be/TRObgoQZ-9M

My first introduction to melodeon was at the North-East Playgroup 14-16 June, where heartshaped1 taught us "Wind the bobbin up" in the Absolute Beginners tent, and I've been slowly working through the first couple of chapters of Milleret and Pignol Vol. 1 since then.

Any advice or comments welcome of course!
GC Erica

Peadar

« Reply #424 on: July 24, 2019, 12:05:42 AM »

Very nice indeed. Nice steady pace and basses audible and the box sounds in good voice to me.
I can't give you advice- but I like your recording. Wish mine sounded that polished and that well paced. (:)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #425 on: July 24, 2019, 08:39:50 AM »

A very fine effort indeed for someone who has only been playing for about a month.
Only one suggestion I can think of: When you change bellows direction there's a slight pause. That tune  has been arranged/written so you can play two bars on push, two bars on pull, so it doesn't make much difference, though it's still noticeable. You need to make sure you can time your bellows changes so the rhythm is not interrupted at all, or you will get into trouble when you come to tunes that change bellows more frequently and irregularly.

Please note I'm really nitpicking here - most players at your stage would be stumbling so much that it would be pointless to mention such detail until their general playing had improved. You seem to be past that level already.
Possibly related: it's common for players learning from music to make pauses like that at the bar lines, just because there's a bar line in the music - something to watch out for and avoid before it becomes a habit.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #426 on: July 24, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »

Well done Kon, you’ve come a long way since that tent!

I have no doubt progress will continue at pace and it looks like you and the box are getting on marvellously. I play as much if not more G/C than D/G nowadays so if there is anything I can help with, do let me know!

Vicky
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

playandteach

« Reply #427 on: July 24, 2019, 11:34:20 AM »

This is "Valse à Ollu" from a tab by Bernard Loffet which playandteach sent me, which is the third tune I've learned now and the one I'm most enjoying playing.
https://youtu.be/TRObgoQZ-9M
Any advice or comments welcome of course!
Good stuff. One of the things that got me bothered when I was learning those tunes was how quickly they were over. You could try playing it an octave lower, which will give you something to think about on bellows changes as the buttons won't be in the same place as the octave higher. Also playing chord patterns, as suggested here:
http://diatomalo35.canalblog.com/archives/2017/09/15/35677122.html
Have a mess around with it.
It's great that you are using your little finger, but also have a try without - 213132 for the first bar pattern - just because you might find it ties in with some of the scale patterns in the Milleret / Pignol books.

Sebastian

« Reply #428 on: July 24, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »

You could try playing it an octave lower, which will give you something to think about on bellows changes
Minor melodies usually don't go well in the lower octave (because you have not many notes left below the tonic).

playandteach

« Reply #429 on: July 24, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »

This one does. At least on my box.

Kon

• Regular debater
« Reply #430 on: July 24, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »

Thanks for the comments everybody!

Thank you Peadar for your very kind comments  (:)

Anahata, I definitely see where you're coming from regarding the pauses when I change bellows directions. I think it's because those short phrases on either push or pull are the "chunks" which I learned the tune in, so my brain needs a mo to get from one chunk to the next chunk, if that makes any sense. The fact that overlaps with a change in bellows direction presumably exacerbates things. Something to pay attention to when I practise!

Thanks Vicky! Hopefully we will meet at another workshop in the future, I really got on with your style of tuition.

P&T, thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I would love to start adding in some variations and ornaments. Playing in the lower octave sounds like a good place to start, and I'm interested in wrapping my head around adding RH chords and/or playing chord patterns as soon as possible. I am also working on Valse triste (still limping through that a bit though) and am looking forward to working through your exercises based on that.
GC Erica

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2019, 03:02:17 AM »

I had had my first melodeon for about four weeks in the video (based on receipt date and time stamp on the video). I was using the Pignol-Milleret tutors, and practicing compulsively, many hours a day. Those books get you off an running. They aren't easy,  but I am happy I started with them for the early cross-row work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rync732ouyik4mp/Branle%20-%201.mov?dl=0

I've been playing two and a half years now and the melodeon was the hardest instrument I've ever tried to play, but I'm so glad I stuck with it! I still have the bad habit of stopping and re-doing mid tune. I have reduced the amount of wiggling I do when I play! :)

I'm still working through the second and third books of that series, and have had some skype lessons with Paul Young. Learning this has been challenging and a thrill. I am proud of my progress, I hope the other beginners out there are proud, too!

Castagnari Benny GC#, Mory DG#, Geordy GC, Mignon C
Cajun Custom in C by L'Anse Grise
Hohner Pokerwork GC and DG
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2019, 05:24:47 AM »

I had had my first melodeon for about four weeks in the video (based on receipt date and time stamp on the video). I was using the Pignol-Milleret tutors, and practicing compulsively, many hours a day. Those books get you off an running. They aren't easy,  but I am happy I started with them for the early cross-row work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rync732ouyik4mp/Branle%20-%201.mov?dl=0

I've been playing two and a half years now and the melodeon was the hardest instrument I've ever tried to play, but I'm so glad I stuck with it! I still have the bad habit of stopping and re-doing mid tune. I have reduced the amount of wiggling I do when I play! :)

I'm still working through the second and third books of that series, and have had some skype lessons with Paul Young. Learning this has been challenging and a thrill. I am proud of my progress, I hope the other beginners out there are proud, too!

great work... I got some vids too never posted in my newbie days.. here's one box needs tuning but just the fact that's a 1904 box makes it a lot of fun..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJV17XP7FYg
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »

and have had some skype lessons with Paul Young. Learning this has been challenging and a thrill.

I have a friend who is having internet lessons with Paul Young. His playing is coming on great.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

DMoko

« Reply #434 on: January 22, 2020, 05:34:34 PM »

Beginners Showcase - What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYWY02Y9Wh8

Now I know this isn't a tune of the month, but I'm excited to finally be able to play a song with both bass and treble parts. I've been playing for about a month now.

I will be sure to choose a TOTM for my next song to learn.
G/C Hohner Pokerwork

playandteach

« Reply #435 on: January 22, 2020, 06:10:41 PM »

Now I know this isn't a tune of the month, but I'm excited to finally be able to play a song with both bass and treble parts. I've been playing for about a month now.

I will be sure to choose a TOTM for my next song to learn.
That's really good work. I'll try to find some time to dig out some tunes. Sorry, been a bit busy.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #436 on: January 22, 2020, 07:44:47 PM »

Some good work going on there, you're getting the hands working together from the start.
Well done!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

« Reply #437 on: January 22, 2020, 09:43:42 PM »

Loffet's site for GC tunes
This site was created by the late Bernard Loffet, who was a maker and player known to many (not me unfortunately).
He has acres of tunes and one section is good proper tunes which he has identified as good for beginners.
I'd recommend:
Valse Triste
Valse a Ollu
En Avant Blond
Danse de l'Ours
Only because those are the ones I picked when I started. You may hate minor key waltzes which would rule out a few of those.
Best of luck, great start.

DMoko

« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2020, 09:55:58 PM »

Loffet's site for GC tunes
This site was created by the late Bernard Loffet, who was a maker and player known to many (not me unfortunately).
He has acres of tunes and one section is good proper tunes which he has identified as good for beginners.
I'd recommend:
Valse Triste
Valse a Ollu
En Avant Blond
Danse de l'Ours
Only because those are the ones I picked when I started. You may hate minor key waltzes which would rule out a few of those.
Best of luck, great start.

Thanks!! I'll be sure to look through these!
G/C Hohner Pokerwork

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #439 on: January 23, 2020, 02:21:09 AM »

This is quite nice for one month! Not only do you have both hands working together, but you're playing a nice alternating bass line.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal